IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's so I have only been out in the ocean one time but a friend of mine is coming in from Colorado and we are going to head out of llwaco, he has been out of there about 10 times a few years ago, my question is what, were and when I had herd that the tuna fishing was good so we were thing about going for that also Salmon and maybe some cod, we will be there for 10 days so and tips on tackle bait general area water depth so on would be great thanks in advance for all the help.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
I think you've asked about a month's worth of questions there, some of which are dynamic and can't really be answered until the day you plan to go out. There have been many posts in the past regarding gear, locations, and what to look for, it might be most efficient for you to maybe go back and search for posts or just start reading past posts, you'll find what you want.
If you've only been out once, you're likely to get many comments on your safety equipment, boat, and experience. It's easy to get caught up in the hype on this board but there is nothing wrong with taking smaller steps until you are comfortable on the ocean.

· Registered
12 Posts
I'll offer a few comments regarding tuna out of Ilwacco

1) The tuna range off-shore from normal salmon fishing. They could be out 20 miles or 40+ miles. The distance offshore makes the trip out significantly higher risk than in-shore salmon fishing. You need to at least consider life-rafts, and other safety provisions. Also need to obviously consider the range of your boat (fuel consumption is commonly an issue).

2) Purchasing troll gear for tuna is going to run some $'s. Read other threads on lures, rigging of handlines, and types of rods/reels required.

3) The location of tuna will vary quite a bit from day to day and week to week. Impossible to project in advance.

Bottomline, the planning and preparation for a tuna trip is quite a bit higher than a casual "run out for salmon." My 2 cents.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Check up on the current reports of Tuna on this website. You couldn't put a price on some of the current info you can pick up here. Sometimes people post numbers of specific areas to troll, others put general lines to start at and some just say what port they went out of. Either way its all great! I wish I tuna fished more to keep everyone up to date on what I get and where I get them but usually I am following one of the heavy hitters out the next day.

A HUGE thanks to all who post here and good luck!

· Registered
635 Posts
My suggestion would be to post for a couple of seats with someone who known the ropes.
It sounds like you'll have enough time -just be ready when the call comes.
This board has several tuna Captains who are generous and will offer if they have room. This way you get a first hand look at what it takes. Make sure you offer to pay for gas and any lost gear. Most of us have an obsene amount invested and while we enjoy shareing a good time-----we really appreciate a hand with the cost of running the boat.Also offer to help clean up after you come in. Some Skippers want to do this on there own. But offer anyway.
Terry

· Registered
5,295 Posts
When was the last rescue you heard of off the Oregon coast involving a life raft. Required safety gear and a very seaworthy boat . If you end up in the water even for a short time you are probably done. Ditch bags and life rafts are great if the water is 70+ here it is not. My 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.