IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to the range for a last minute blow out the oil shoot and broke either the firing pin or spring. 700 remington, 1968 vintage. Al's and H&K are closed. Any other suggestions???

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Just went to the range for a last minute blow out the oil shoot and broke either the firing pin or spring. 700 remington, 1968 vintage. Al's and H&K are closed. Any other suggestions???
Allison & Carey in Portland!:idea:

:cheers:

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like Beaver Creek Armory is open, I'm headed over

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I have an 06 ready to go but it only has a 4power on it but it drives tacks 1" high at 100 yards. your welcome to it.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
You guys are great and so is ifish were else can someone have some bad luck with there rifle and two guys offer him 2 differnt 06s to use.this place ROCKS:dance:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Well I wudda offered you a rifle that shoots 1/4" 10-shot groups all day long.

But I figured you didn't want to be limited by its 16X Scope and 50g. bullets and .223 cartridge size...you'd have to shoot 'em in the eye, which you could do at 200 yd.s.:grin:

So I didn't say anything...

There, that's 3!:laugh:

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Quote : But I figured you didn't want to be limited by its 16X Scope and 50g. bullets and .223 cartridge size...you'd have to shoot 'em in the eye, which you could do at 200 yd.s.

So what is it ? I just started reloading .223 and my 6700 and 93 have been singing. ;-)

I don't think the nieghbors appreciate it though :laugh:

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Man are you ever lucky. Imagine if that had broken on your hunting trip!

Firing pins are cheap (and so are the springs) and they're easy to swap on Remingtons, Winchesters, and Mauser type actions. The technique is pretty much the same on all of them. If anyone has any interest, I can drag out the camera and a bolt and show basic disassembly/reassembly pics- but they're already all over the net.

regards, aw

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:redface::redface: Well the firing pin was not broken, nor the spring. Luckily I talked to Huntnfish and he steered me in the right direction. It's been a long time since I have had the bolt apart. Just like Mike suspicioned, kinda rusty in there. Took a .357 brush to the insides and a little emery on head of the spring assembly and then flushed it out with gun scrubber and then some light gun lube and put it back together. Lit the torch fine after that. I guess I learned that I need to keep a little better care of the bolt than dropping a little oil down the firing pin hole every now and then.

I would still like to see your tutorial Adobe on the complete disassembly, I just used a screw driver to force the spring back and then spun the assembly out, but their must be a better way. Also I did not see how the firing pin and spring assembly is fitted. Think I will pick up a spare, we have at least three 700's in our hunt group.

Man that was a bad feeling when it didn't go off this afternoon. Sure could tell I wasn't flinching though. I have never had a dud in my reloads before and at first I thought that was what it was, but then we noticed that the primer was hardly dented. Three tries and no fire and we thought she was broke.

Leaving for the Eastside in the morning! Man most of the gun shops are closed on Monday's!!

Thanks for the offers and help guys, you were the first ones that came to my mind to get my rifle fixed. :clap::clap:Ifish rocks!!!!

P.S. My Dad has an old Huskavarna (sp) that is the back up gun, but it doesn't shoot so good anymore. I was thinking the AR might just get to go, but I don't think 55 gr. V-max bullets would be appropriate.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Look into a tube of Permatex Never-Sieze the silvery stuff. Works miracles on Stainless steel 10-22s ect. Doesn't build up, comes clean with solvent, and resists heat. One good slick 'em goop; GOOD stuff...

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
'Glad you got-r figured-out. Have a great and safe trip! Don
Thanks Don, I think the old girl has it figured out, now if I can do my part.

Three shot group.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Had the same problem with my Rem 700 my second year with it.. the first year I hunted the coast and of course it was wet.. cleaned the gun well I thought.. but moisture got into the bolt. hit the range before season two and click.. click. Reel Handel and I tore it down and found a bit of stuff in there, brushed her down and now that is a normal process. Never thought I would need to tear the bolt down that often, and it can be a pain getting it back together correctly - but now I got it down.

so those with 700s.. beware.

gus

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think that upper one is in sideways...Third probly missed the whole paper...........Better take my -'06...
Do you think my .270 loads will rattle down your barrel?????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts