IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm currently looking at the possible purchase of a used sled.

There is one issue that concerns me and I'm hoping someone here has some experience that will help.

The boat is a 16 foot open aluminum sled with a flat bottom. It has rear console steering, a fairly large built in fuel tank also towards the rear of the boat and a 115 horse motor.

When taking off, the nose on the boat really comes up high until the boat gets on plane. It seems like it would be hard to navigate while under partial throttle.

I see in Cabela's, they sell something called "Smart Tabs" by Nauticus, Inc. that looks like it might help.

Does anyone have experience with this product, or do you have any other ideas what may help?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
602 Posts
I know this doesnt pertain to your question But if I was you I would check out the hull under the floor boards for electralasys. Which is a pitting and a white powder residue on th aluminum. I didnt check my hull under the floor boards when i bought my used flat bottom. I now wished that i had. Because it had a electralasys problem.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mike I dont have much experience but I seem to recall in one of the boating mags that they did a favorable review of those "smart tabs" if I am remembering correctly. Can your fuel tank be moved to balance the weight more evenly?

Ron

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
a 115 should shoot that boat right out of the water, prop OR jet. Can the OB be trimmed in some more? Sounds like it's either a "too huge" gas tank that's full or the motor is trimmed up too high.

EDIT: Is this your first sled? Maybe the motor is not running right and you don't have the experience to notice the difference? It won't take much to make a 16' flatbottom jump out of a hole...

[ 04-10-2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Salmonator ]

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Sounds like there is to much weight in the back of the boat. My 16' flat bottom has an 80hp and a built in tank, but the tank is in the center of the boat. I don't have the nose up problem.
Watch yourself here, those older 6 cylinder 115's aren't worth rebuilding if it blows.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
You might also try a DolFin or Stingray type fin attached to the cavitation plate. Cheaper than the tabs and have worked great on a past boat with a similar problem.

[ 04-13-2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: blubeast ]

·
Registered
14,812 Posts
Well,

Free opinion time: IMO to correct the problem, the weight has to be transfered (move fuel tank etc) Tabs may make a small difference in a boat that sounds like it has a big problem.

If it is a sled for smaller water, you want to do all you can to balance it so it will come up even. Otherwise you could be sitting in 18" of water and drop your shoe on the bottom with a hole shot.

Also, why a consol in a 16' sled, way more room, less weight with with a tiller, if you don't mind running a tiller.

SOOOooo, if this boat has these problems, why not find one that doesn't? :shrug:

GRB

·
Registered
13,985 Posts
BT,

I just bought an 18' Alumaweld with a 115 on it. The motor is fresh( ditto on the time bomb thing. I am hoping for 300 hours out of the big engine and I will be looking for a bigger sled)and it is a rocket( for a pumped sled). It has the 4 blade stainless impeller which helps holeshots. Directly in front of the passenger seat is a 20 gallon tank. It will plane in about 1 1/4-1 1/2 boat lengths with just me in it. A bit more time with 2 front seaters and a fat dog.

I am taking a chance in the 115. I know it has a reputation for blowing the #3 or #4 piston. But mine is a 18 ( which came with 115s real often), and any other motor is either borderline underpowered or expensive. The 16'ers came with 80hp engines as often as not. They have a much better reputation than their big brothers do.

Good Luck.

Mark and the dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts