IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
3,877 Posts
Went there last year on a raft trip.

Pulled out at Heller...

Indeed a great trip... That is one awesome steelhead as well :cheers:

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Very nice pics!! Congratulations on the fish. :cheers: Looks like you guys had a blast with some scenery to boot! :cheers: I've always wanted to get out to the Hell's Canyon area. Hopefully within the next year or so i'll have some memories like those!

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
195 Posts
How far up did you go, it looks like at least above the Salmon and possibly above the Imnaha? Did you bounce any bait or just back troll plugs?

Did you try to catch any bass?

Sorry for all the questions but I am going to be up there in a week or two.

[ 10-22-2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: BrokeItOff ]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Those are great pictures and it looks like the guide got you into some sweet fish. What does a trip like that cost?

thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Nice pics. Looks like you fished a lot of the river as you got to the mouth of the Salmon. Half the fun is the boat ride. Awesome country. I need to get back there some day. :smile:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
KD, nice job on the trip. Thanks for sharing, that slide show was sweet. That looked like a lot of fish being caught there. :cheers:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
KD,

Tell us the whole story! When did you go? How long were you there? What's the approximate cost of a trip like that?

That is beautiful, awesome country, even if you never touched a fish - which you guys obviously did. Looks like you used a variety of techniques, too, from pulling plugs to flipping flies. What a trip!

C'mon, we're dying. Tell us the rest of the story!

Skein

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had always assumed once a steelhead swam the 491 river miles to Heller Bar it wouldn't be worth catching. Boy was I wrong! They fight great and have red meat. Amazing!

All the pictures were taken last Thursday and Friday. It was a two day trip hosted by two outfitters, Snakedancer Excursions and Vic & Dawna's Hells Canyon Resort. Both are first class!

On day one we pulled plugs in Snakedancer Excursions 28 foot, fully covered big giant inboard sled. The water is pretty deep, 10 to 15 feet on average, so we used 1/2 oz Luhr Jensen Hot Lips plugs (they're in the pics). We put 12 steelhead in the boat and a couple chinook. Mostly, we fished around Heller Bar but ran up into Hells Canyon almost to the mouth of the Salmon River.

On day two we side drifted bait with Vic & Dawna. Fishing had been good the day before and they put 35 steelhead in the boat. On our day, they bugged out so we ran upstream after them in Vic's 720hp, 29 foot "Navy Seals" sled. Fishing was pretty slow by Vic's standards but I thought we did pretty good, putting 12 in the boat included a triple hookup toward the end of the day. Amazingly, we landed all three steelhead. We only had one net, so it was kind of a circus!

Both days, we also caught a few nice smallmouth bass on accident and a 6lb catfish.

Even though this is big water, there's lots of really good bank fishing opportunities. Basically, when the water is above 50 degrees the steelhead are on the move and tailouts are the places to target. When the water gets cold later in the year, the steelhead keg up and bait fishing the holes is the way to go.

The boats go for about $600 per day, but they're huge so you can fill them up pretty good and lower the per-person cost.

There will be an article out next fall in STS about Hells Canyon Steelhead.

As the outfitters are not Ifish sponsors, I have not linked there websites into this post. They do have websites-just do a google search and in .24 milliseconds you'll have the info.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Very nice ! Great pictures.... I'm still working on my better half... i enjoy seeing the ladies smiling with a fish :grin:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
833 Posts
My good buddy Mike Kelly (Hell's Anglers),lives and works in that area and reports he's hooking over 20 a day now! I'm hoping to get some time off and fish with him for a couple days this year. Nice pictures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts