IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself to everyone. I've been meaning to do so for awhile now, but as busy as I have been, there hasn't been much time.

I was raised on or around the water pretty much my entire life. To me, fishing and being on a boat has been an integral part of who I am. From cleaning my first coho on my dads trawler around the age of 6, to being a charter boat deckhand, to getting my captains license, and being a saltwater guide in Alaska, I've never lost the thrill of casting off the line and settting out for the day.

I recently purchased a 25' Grady White, and christened her this last weekend, on her first fishing trip out, with a pair of kings, 22# and 28#, and of course also "the one that got away". What a great feeling to have the skunk off the boat on the first trip out! You always wonder if a boat is going to be "fishy", and it's great to know she is! For the trials and tribulations I went through to acquire this boat, I think she has been aptly named,Persevere .

This winter will be spent SCUBA diving, and next summer I look forward to some great off-shore fishing! I really hope to make some runs!

Well, that's it for now. I think it's great to have such a wonderful resource like Ifish!

Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
WELCOME; Nalu :cheers:
The sooner you catch lots of stinky fish the better. It’s good to get that awful new boat smell out of your boat. :wink: I suggest you catch a big shad and stuff it in your anchor locker and leave it for a few weeks…. It worked for me. :sick:

Good Fishing!! :dance:

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Lest anybody gets the wrong idea, the Grady is not "new". She's a 1992 Sailfish, just new to me. She is an immaculently maintained vessel that was kept in San Diego. I searched all over for the right boat, and finally found her there. She's was owned by a true fisherman, and has had a lot of fish put in the box. I only hope that I can keep up the pace.

All I can say is that the entire purchasing ordeal was a nightmare of mammoth proportions, culminating with a 2500 mile round trip, and 1250 mile pull back. I have to say, I'm awfully proud of the job my Dodge truck did pulling that 10,000 lb. load from S.D. to here. Cummins baby!

Mike

[ 09-16-2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Nalu ]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cummins??? :hoboy:

Oh well, Welcome anyway maybe after you payoff your “new to you” boat you can afford a new truck. Just kidding…
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hope you catch a limit each time out!!! :cheers: Be safe and have fun. :dance:

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I understand that everyone has there preferences. Mine is my 2003 Dodge Turbo Diesel Quad Cab.

Perhaps not for everyone, but I thought getting 18.5mpg on the way down, and 11.3mpg pulling the boat back was pretty good. Considering that for the first 100 miles the trailer brakes didn't work, and the truck stopped her fine...and that she chugged up the grapevine and the siskyous like nuthin', and well, that I did it myself and made it back... I'm a believer in this truck. And 5 people, 8 SCUBA tanks, and gear in the boat a couple weekends ago, and cruising like it was unloaded.... a believer in the boat too.

I'm a happy guy!!

Now, let me just break out another thousand..... :grin:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nalu,
welcome aboard skipper, sounds like a great boat... ever need a deck hand count me in also getting my dive cert i hope this winter... leagally :grin: is what i really mean. i am from coronado island and got lots of time under just no log

1 - 7 of 7 Posts