IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Fished Oregon for 30 yrs . I fish mostly the north coast. Me and my friends fished Tillamook 20th-27th. Thurs 9/25/03 I caught a 48 ? lb Chinook between red can and South Jetty . I bleed it and At Garibaldi it weighed in at 45lbs. I got a 40lbr Club hat from the Marina . I will post a picture. There were 6 fish over 40lbs on board that day .

[ 10-13-2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: YaHoeeFishOn ]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome aboard :cheers: Good fish.

Good fishin: Arch

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

this is a photo of the fish on top of a 104 quart cooler . Next time , I'll take the 120. Overly optomistic :smile:

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well , I've seen everyone new has to post a story. It was late 80's and I had just put a new outdrive on my 17ft Larson TriHull . Me and my best buddies wanted to go Salmon fishing . We headed to Old Mill Marina in Tillamook at O'dark 30 . It was still pitch dark when we went to check in at bait shop . The old guy at counter told us we could do pretty good outside but nothing was happening inside the bay. He said "If and When Fog ever lifts ", there could be good fishing outside. He said Fog had never cleared day before. We decided maybe it was still a little early for Tillamook and drove up to Warrenton. I launched my boat and bought some fresh herring and anchovies from Tackle Time. We sat in bassen in Warrington watching Fog. We slowly made our way out to log rafts along the entrnce to Warrenton. The fog was still very thick when a 38 foot Trolly comes powering out of the Condo docks. A guy is up on the flying bridge jesters he's going out , points out to see then to him then to us and makes hook setting motions. Half Salmon crazy , well ok full on salmon frenzy mind takes over and we decide to follow him out. He must have Loran , GPS wern't out then , or radar . So we foolishly follow him out in fog . I have fished Bouy 10 for about 6 yrs prior to this and was amazed following out in fog as he headed straight north across Desdomona sands .Well I now better than to take this heading . We slowly motor around in fog . I hear a bell bouy out in the fog and we find this Green can out side Hammon from its bell. Still so foggy you can't see more than 20ft . So we decide to troll in circle around this bouy. I'm still thinking of the old man at the old mill saying "If and When the fog lifts". Its 11am and the fog is still thick . Way out accross bar I hear a sound of a distant fog horn sound. About 20 mins later I hear it again but this time its it is directly over my head . Out of fog comes the Rusty siliot of a ship. as it lumes directly over us. I gun engine with no time to reel in and get out of this ships way. I hear a torrent of asain profanity rain down on us as ships wake and prop wash moves bye me. Hmmm maybe trolling circles in what I thought was the safety of a fixed object isn't such a good idea. Yea since it is you known Ah marking the ship channel. So we decide to move . I look at bouy , decide I'm across from Hammon just slightly west. I know tide is headed in and by watching the current behind the bouy decide to head back accross to Oregon side. We motor across and soon relize that time and distance in fog is very deciving. We ran for 15 mins and couldn't decide if we had gone 3 miles or 300 ft . We should wait listen for while . We listened and heard breaking surf . We were on Clatsop spit . I was in 30ft water off surf and sand . We headed up the 40 ft water line and found bouy 22 . This was a bellows bouy .We again fished in circle keeping eye on bouy. It was now noon and fog was still thick and earry. The "if and when" words still echoing in my head. I'm out on Columbia bar stuck in fog. I feel this strange tingling sensation back of my head , Hmm never felt that before , whats this about. It is truely hair on back my neck standing up . About 2pm a guide open sled comes buzzing up coast line following the shoreline. I can make him out fog standing on back of a 18ft holding a 200 horse tiller in his hand. My friends think , Lets follow him. He guys that's what got us out here in first place. But that guys a guide not like fist guy we followed. We motored up and followed guide out to bouy10, where it was sunny blue skies. We quickly had a double on and fishing was fast and fun. I was finally relaxing when I noticed that my dad had installed a compass on helm collum. All day lost in fog using tide against a bouy for direction , when I had a compast sitting under my nose. The fog did lift for run back to to harbor when tide started turn back out. We stopped by Saw dust pile for our final fish for thefinal crowd pleaser. I was so glad to get my boat back on trailer , fish cleaned at shack in Warrneton .Ok guys that was great day . But never again are we going to go feel our way around Columbia bar in fog . Old not so bold sailor. The next season I had a loran .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome... I am new to fishing in the NW and ifish. It sounds like you have some "seasoned" advice for us just starting on that learning curve!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts