IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have watched, listened and learned from everyone here over the last year. I really appreciate the website and all those that make this one of the most civil, informed and friendly boards on the net!

The story took place back in late Febuary of this year. My father-in-law and I were fishing in the Columbia up by the mouth of the Willamette about 300 yards off the Washington side. There were not many boats out and just a few bank fisherman down towards the park.

We had just anchored up and put our lines in when a young boy about 9 or 10 started screaming, from the beach, that his dog was going to drown. We looked around and sure enough there was a black lab puppy (maybe 4-5 months)swimming out into the Columbia and looking like he was heading to Sauvie's Island. The boy was really frantic and the dog was about 250 yards out from the beach. We threw off the anchor and went after the dog. When we finally got to him you could tell he was exhausted, disoriented and his head was going under occasionally. I grabbed the dog and pulled him into the boat and we then ran up on the beach to give the boy back his dog. The boy took his dog and thanked us multiple times. We asked him if he needed anything else and he replied that he was fine and would wait for his dad.

We went back out and put our lines in and within about 10 minutes the boy was calling us again that he and the dog were wet and cold and he could not find his dad. My father-in-law and I look at each other like you have got to be kidding but you can not say no to a boy and his best friend. We took up our lines and motored on over and asked the boy where his father was. He replied that he did not know because his dad and friends were in a boat and had dropped him off on the beach. The boy and dog got aboard and we started off to find his dad. After about 15 minutes heading down river, the boy finally spotted the boat and we headed on over. When we met up and told the father the situation he was a little ambivalent about the whole deal. He did thank us but then stated the he was sure the dog would have been fine and would not have drowned. He then reminded the boy that he was supposed to have stayed on the beach until he and his friends came back to get him.

We felt real good about the first part of the ordeal but the meeting with the father left us pretty upset. We were amazed that he would Leave his young son alone on a cold winter day along the river and out of eyesight.

Thanks,
John

BTW - My handle came from my 2 1/2 year old daughter. She loved the movie and everytime I go out she wants to know if I caught Nemo.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome aboard! Great first story. The world is a much better place with guys like you. You really have to wonder what old Dad was thinking there.

Blind Squirrel :cheers:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome, and great story. I'm surprised (or maybe not) that the father wasn't more grateful, especially if the kid was wet in late February.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Welcome , and thanks for helping the kid out. It's nice to know that there are people like you out there because we all know that there are people like his dad out there !!! swampy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts