IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone considering purchasing a Gore-Tex dry suit, or for that matter ANYthing built from Gore-Tex should read this. I always known Gore-Tex is not waterproof, but didn't know health of my customer could be compromised. As of today I have returned ALL fabrics produced by Gore-TEX.And put out a Nation wide re-call. Please think before you buy. USAtoday - Gore-TEX and the EPA

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Yes if you want to get rid of your waterproof gear please send it to me and I will be sure it doesn't harm you anymore. Size large preferably. :wink:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
oh yeah, me too and I will be glad to take off your hands your t.v your microwave,all your nukable foods your teflon cookware, um lets see...your computer, your car and or truck.....what else? :grin:

·
Registered
417 Posts
CAPT KUJO

What would you suggest as a replacement? Natural unrefined rubber waders and rainsuits are not always the easiest thing to find.

Maybe we could all wet wade on the Sandy in Early January. "Boy the water sure seems warm today :grin: "

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
CAPTKUJO Anyone considering purchasing a Gore-Tex dry suit, or for that matter ANYthing built from Gore-Tex should read this. I always known Gore-Tex is not waterproof, but didn't know health of my customer could be compromised. As of today I have returned ALL fabrics produced by Gore-TEX.And put out a Nation wide re-call. Please think before you buy.

May i inquire what kind of business you are in and how did you go about putting out a Nation Wide Recall? Personally im not concerned about the possibility of a health hazzard from Gore-Tex. I think standing in front of my smoker doing salmon is more dangerous. Would like to see a whole lot more information befor i start telling people they are in great danger.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
You'll have a hard time convincing me that Goretex isn't waterproof. I have spent hours on end in my goretex waders and goretex raincoat, and stayed quite dry.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I heard this too! If you eat 10-20 Goretex suits in a sitting it's cancer city! :shocked:

Man - I'm so glad the wife and I are not planning on having any more litters of baby rats! :hoboy:

Going to be heck for all those high tech workers that have been wearing Gortex bunny suits 12 hours a day for 15-20 years. Good thing they get yearly mandatory check ups and so on! :whazzup:

[ 04-25-2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I heard this too! If you eat 10-20 Goretex suits in a sitting it's cancer city!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:laugh:
:laugh:

THAT one had me on the floor. :grin:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some answers 1st thing there is "water proof" "water repellent", and water resistant. You should familarize yourself with these terms and there definitions. No fabric that is breathable/waterproof comes close to meeting a waterproof standard according to ANSI or ISO definitions or for that matter fabric university which has a fabric dictionary on line. What you're talking about in waders and rain gear do not excert enough pressure to meet a waterproof standard. Have you ever taken Gore-Tex 30 ft under water? Well I have in testing for the United States Special Operations Command and it fails! So with this in mind Gore-Tex is not waterproof by definition. Withstanding pressure of 30 psi is the defining line between waterproof and not. That would be the same pressure excerted at approx at 67fsw(feet of sea water), that's not going to happen with your waders.

As for National Recalls. I am the director of the USIA Reasearch and Combat development facility as a defense contracting company and I manufacture dry suits. Every dry suit produced by USIA is tested and assigned a serial number, which can be tracked to every customer that bought a Gore-Tex dry suit from us. The United States Coast Guard has purchased 341 dry suits of USIA manufacture with Gore-Tex, 46 to the U.S. Navy Seals, 115 to U.S. Army Special Forces and 7 to the general population. That's how we start institutung a national recall. We keep records. Companies like Kokatat don't 100% test all of their products and the U.S. Coast Guard products they are required to 100% test, they don't keep records.(This information was obtained from affidavits submitted in Federal Court records in a lawsuit filed against the United States Coast Guard by Falls River Manufacturing. This lawsuit is still pending in Federal District Court in Albany New York.)

As far as replacements, as one person noted rubber or urethane coated nylons. Also keep in mind in a survival situation, if you're wearing so called "waterproof-breathable" fabric dry suit. Think about the "breathable" here. When your suit "breaths" it is expelling hot moist air away from your body through the fabric. In a 50 degree environment (like off the Oregon Coast), do you really want heat escaping from your body? I think not. Do you think the average U.S. Coast Guardman (18 to 28 years old)knows or has been told his survivalabilty in 50 degree water has been reduced by 40%? Well the USCG powers to be in Washington DC haven't told them. You can't have it both ways. The fabric doesn't come with a
built in computer telling it when to breath and when not to breath.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If you wish to speak with me or write me directly I can be reached toll free at USIA 800-247-8070 or at [email protected]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Captn- excuse me if I am all "wet" here but it appears to me you are confusing "waterproof" (as in keeps you dry standing on the bank or boat in the rain) with "drysuit" which is both a survival thing and a sport diving thing? :whazzup: Do you really think that folks buy a Gortex rain suit and think it is a cold water survival suit? I hope none of us are that silly.

There is a MAJOR difference in the application. :cheers:
The health implications are totally separate from either of these discussions. :hoboy:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
HOG- Hey- where'd you get that picture of me at work? Sheeeesh... can't keep a secret anywhere! That's my favorite Frog giggin' spot! :shocked:

[ 04-25-2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Capt. can I get a 2xl tall when thay come back,more than happy to do a release so everyone will be happy. me the most :grin: :grin: :grin: :wink:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Kujo, Kujo, Kujo.....thanks for all the details but I haven't been below 5' in twenty years. Send me one of those HAZMAT suits. They look like they'd work just fine. Frankly, it may help protect me against SARS as well. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think people purchase Gore-Tex rain suits to "dive in". My point being they are water repellant not water proof.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Now I understand why my pet rats are acting so strangly and why they are not reproducing....I have to get rid of their little Gore Tex rain suits. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
I wear X-large. You can email me for my addy so you can send me any gore-tex you dont want. :grin:

It may not be "waterproof", but it keeps me dry and that is all I care about. :tongue:

Maybe we should just stop breathing. You just never know what we might inhale. :rolleyes: Oh and the shy is falling too. :hoboy:

:sleep:

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
My sled doesn't work well 30 feet down, either. I guess 'water repellent' is good enough. :smile:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts