IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DZ speculated that the June heat may have been too much for the birds. Leading up to the heat I was regularly seeing pairs of quail on the family farm. Then, gone....then a few young! I've yet to see them, but dust on a farm road has had spots plastered with little three toed tracks! Quail seem to done pretty good, and I even saw some pheasant tracks last week!

It will be interesting to see how the birds fared on "our" ranch on the Deschutes when we get there for deer.

What has anyone else been seeing?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have 3 coveys of quail that disappeared for most of august. They all started coming back around about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I've been seeing some pheasants and quail crossing the roads on my trips to my hunting spot out east. Hard to say if it's more or less than previous years. Last year, there were tons one early morning under the pivots.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FWIW

The current ODFW Upland forecast is more positive than in recent years.
This one is fairly detailed, as opposed to some of the nonsense that appears in various outdoor magazines.
In general, I think drier mild weather in Winter and Spring is more helpful to bird numbers than the wet colder weather that is often present,

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season.

2020-21 game bird hunting forecast | Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
The quail have brought off two broods at least. Numbers look good, maybe better than average.
We do suspect the osprey took a hit but this thread is about upland game birds.
Out in Eastern Oregon, I hear the birds have been forced into river corridors more than usual. Likely due to the upland springs drying up.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Tons of hoppers this year and I'm seeing alot of birds, I almost wish I wasn't going to be in New mexico for the 9/18 opener here.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Been on the Deschutes access road quite a bit this summer .... LOTS of chukars every time. See them on the road, by the railroad tracks across the river, and hear them every time we stop to glass the hillsides. Tons of young wild turkeys up in the fields above White River Falls and everywhere I go up higher, they're thriving.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
From what I’ve read, the only illnesses that hurt grasshoppers need moisture. So, in dry years, there are a lot. Also, rain is bad for baby upland birds. We are in drought, so I think that’s the reason for more birds and more grasshoppers which is a good thing for the birds.

I’ve seen more grasshoppers and birds in general although I put out the protozoa grasshopper killer bait Nolo Bait around my house this year to save our garden. It’s not supposed to hurt birds, pets, wildlife, etc. Death to the grasshoppers although it takes weeks to work.

·
Registered
39,307 Posts
I asked Kelly @ Bone Point Wirehairs, who lives in Baker, what his thought were on the subject. He says the fishermen say they're seeing birds but this isn't an accurate account by any means. He's been busy coaching all summer so he hasn't gotten out look for himself. Cover in NE MT is pretty sparse as expected. Suppose the Dakotas are the same. Pheasant numbers aren't good in SW ND, like last year.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Hearing good things on chukar. Heading out this weekend with the boys to chase some sage grouse in a new area. Hope to see first hand what the chukar numbers look like.

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
I live in the coast range on the valley side. I have more quail around my place than I have seen in my lifetime living in the area. It’s nice and I attribute it largely to a decrease in hawks. It cycles but this year is a huge uptick. I know rain messes up turkey brooding. Not sure about quail but I could step on my porch and get a limit at will.

Reactions: LongBeard2010
1 - 12 of 12 Posts