IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who want some great trout fishing but can't seem to get any, you can live vicariously through me and my bro....

We are heading out for the 4th to fish at West Yellowstone. Going to be fishing Hebgen again, it has become a yearly event now since 99. Usually we trailer up and spend 2 weeks doing the family activites as well, but this trip will be a quicky.

We generally get more than our share of 2-3lbers, and those are picked up on the Calebetes hatches between 8-12am. In fact we have had to let go 18-21" trout in more than a few occasions because we had our limit of larger fish. Without the family going we will be hitting the lake first and last light. Going after big browns in the wee hours. My biggest brown there is 5lb 3oz. Just a little guy in the brown bag world, but I hope to get double digits with some of the tactics I have gleaned from those here on the board.

Any last minute tips for hunting big browns would be welcomed.

Plan of attack:
I expect to work the fringes of the weedbeds up the madison channel early AMs trolling J11/13 jointed and fixed raps. I might even drag them down with a Jet10 as well.

I don't have deep water tactic figured out yet, I don't know where the bigger fish will be holding, 50-60 deg? I can't find a contour map of the lake and I even email directly with the guy that controlls the water level at PPL, but he has never seen one. We will start the deep water stuff down near the damn.

Oh, I have another source for local fishing tips....call the local taxidermist :grin:

gus

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for all the input and help...errr...I think...uh, yeah, that will help a lot... :sick:

Mmmm, I see I am the brunt of a something, but I don't think it qualifies as a joke. You got to do better than that. :wink:

is that bullhead thing real or are you just trying to get me to turn my back on a griz :whazzup: ..a bud of mine fishes the beaverhead have taken some big bows there.

So for those of you that don't trout fish

fondly fun-gus

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Gus,
I was just giving you a bad time. If you can stay up late this fall, I will get you into some 38 inch, ocean going trout. :cheers: Good luck on the wee ones! :grin:

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am surprised Miss B hasn't shown up yet... he seems to like jump in and stir things up :whazzup: :wink:

Fear No Fin, No lasting pain, mabye I will go surf for an inland board where people appreciate the art of trout slaying :hoboy:

gust

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hey - I resemble that remark! :grin: I like trout fishing. Why don't I do it more? :whazzup: :shrug:

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
When I used to drive to Montana for trout fishing on the Beaverhead and Ruby, I would use a screen to collect small bullheads that my buddy would stir up in the shallows, current would carry them into the 1/4 inch screen. We sould use them as bait for the big browns in the deep holes. Tough to land 4-8 lb trout on 6 lb test, but we got some of the smaller 4-5 lbs ones. Worked better than the rapallas for us.......

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
I think I'll stick to 25+ lb nookies in the Rogue bay, just can't even get excited about a 5 lb trout :grin: :wink:

TR

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hey Gus,
Aren't those things aquarium fish? Say hi to Raquel the sheep. Tell her I miss her! :blush: :cheers:

·
Registered
531 Posts
BAIT on the Beaverhead and Ruby ?
Yeah Honey hand me the big one.....thats it the 9mm with the 15 shot clip......yeah I think I can get him form here.......er a honey, please hand me the 06. no no the one with the scope the one I use for shooting side planers on the Deschutes.......thank you dear.....You want double digit Browns in Montana ? Been there done that and even guided some excellent people in Montana....2 Things you need to do to get double digit Brown's in MT.
1. Be there the first week of October and hit the weather right. AH good luck.Could be snow or skeeters.Probably both.
2. Get to know a rancher and offer to help him do some chores to pay for your daily fishing rights because the BIGGEST BROWNS in MT are in the Farmers ditches not the streams or Rivers.Many fish over 10 lbs are miles from the most popular streams and most die of old age. If you can ride October is round up month in the high country and another rider is usually welcomed. It helps if you throw your saddle in the drift boat !You might want to pay a guide who has access to the Dearborn River.Probably MT's best bet for Browns.Lots of fish in the 5-7 lb range.Most with attitude about nearly anything entering their aqua space.Great time geat memories. Soon to be recounted in my book featuring MT fishing with Rowdy Randy and Bustemoff Bob in the days way befor " the Movie ".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts