IFish.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m very excited to be heading to WY this year. I have spent two years planning this hunt. Countless hours on OnX, contacting local county, blm, and Wyoming wildlife managers.

I’m feeling very confident about this deer and antelope hunt, but it is time for Input from the community.

We will be staying in Kaycee and uniting unit 21 and 20 for antelope. We will also hunting region y for deer. Focusing on the south end of the unit.

If any one has any input it is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
If you are staying at the KC RV say hi to Christy she runs a great campground. You will have a fun hunt in 21, if you plan on being in either 21 or 20 on the opener expect lots of company on the pieces of public that can be accessed. For deer expect lots of company also in the area you mentioned but there are other spots to try that might be less crowded closer to Kaycee that hold deer- hint.

Make sure you stop at the hunter check-in station at the Sinclair gas station - if you don't they will chase you down!!! If you are lucky Cheyenne the local bio will be there

Be sure to eat at the Invasion Bar, they make a good breakfast and also pretty good eats in the evening but it can get pretty crowded in the bar at night

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I have a few spots close to town I have been eyeing. We found a house to stay in so living is going to be easy.

Is the check station for CWD? I didn’t think they had one in town. I was planning on having to take samples to buffalo

If you are staying at the KC RV say hi to Christy she runs a great campground. You will have a fun hunt in 21, if you plan on being in either 21 or 20 on the opener expect lots of company on the pieces of public that can be accessed. For deer expect lots of company also in the area you mentioned but there are other spots to try that might be less crowded closer to Kaycee that hold deer- hint.

Make sure you stop at the hunter check-in station at the Sinclair gas station - if you don't they will chase you down!!! If you are lucky Cheyenne the local bio will be there

Be sure to eat at the Invasion Bar, they make a good breakfast and also pretty good eats in the evening but it can get pretty crowded in the bar at night

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
if it's your first trip to WYO you will prolly make reservations for next year before you leave. Hunters welcome signs all over every town. Find a place to hang em cus you will most likely need it the first day. We are 51 for 52 tags the last 7 years. (Thanks to Scoutdog)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
dang duke, that is quite the record you guys have put together. I might actually go antelope hunting in wyoming next year, depending on what happens with drawing a utah elk tag.

Scoutdog

·
Registered
336 Posts
Kaycee......the Home to Chris LeDoux!!! My Childhood Hero!!!
Hoping to hunt in WY next year with my Son! Can't wait.
I hope you have a great hunt in an even greater state.
CBTH

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
kaycee......the home to chris ledoux!!! My childhood hero!!!
Hoping to hunt in wy next year with my son! Can't wait.
I hope you have a great hunt in an even greater state.
Cbth
god bless chris ledoux!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good luck and take some pics. I'll be curious to hear how things went in those units. They're a frequent target for out of staters because you can actually draw tags, but that's because access is "sub-prime"; at least by Wyoming standards.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have a few spots close to town I have been eyeing. We found a house to stay in so living is going to be easy.

Is the check station for CWD? I didn’t think they had one in town. I was planning on having to take samples to buffalo

The check station, that is located at the Sinclair gas station on the west edge of town, is for all hunters and anglers. You are required to stop each time you pass the check station when traveling east (toward town) if the signs are up.

If the check station is operating they can take a CWD sample there, no need to go to Buffalo. Other data will also be collected.

Enjoy the hunt.

ClearCreek

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the update info!

The check station, that is located at the Sinclair gas station on the west edge of town, is for all hunters and anglers. You are required to stop each time you pass the check station when traveling east (toward town) if the signs are up.

If the check station is operating they can take a CWD sample there, no need to go to Buffalo. Other data will also be collected.

Enjoy the hunt.

ClearCreek

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would agree about the access if you are expecting to not get out and walk much. My hope is if I put a mile between myself and the road that will help with seeing more game. I’m sure at time it will need to be further then a mile.

Good luck and take some pics. I'll be curious to hear how things went in those units. They're a frequent target for out of staters because you can actually draw tags, but that's because access is "sub-prime"; at least by Wyoming standards.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
We will be heading for antelope Unit 83 on the 9th. Called Cody office this morning and was told that it has been a very dry summer at least for 83. Sounds like we will need to locate water. Have found some sources with Onx.

Temperatures supposed to be in the 60s and 70s. Last time we were in Wyoming hunting a the same time of year we got snowed on several times during the week we were there. If successful we have plans to spend some time fishing the Bighorn River. Can't wait to get there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked the forecast today and it looks like by the 12th it should drop to mid 50s. Should help with the start of the season.

We will be heading for antelope Unit 83 on the 9th. Called Cody office this morning and was told that it has been a very dry summer at least for 83. Sounds like we will need to locate water. Have found some sources with Onx.

Temperatures supposed to be in the 60s and 70s. Last time we were in Wyoming hunting a the same time of year we got snowed on several times during the week we were there. If successful we have plans to spend some time fishing the Bighorn River. Can't wait to get there.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts

Saw numerous singles just to the north of there even in 81 degrees while driving checking locations for sage grouse on Tuesday; dry but animals are definitely around. :flowered:

·
Registered
13,539 Posts
Be prepared to be looked at funny if you wear a mask in any town in Wyoming....at least that was our experience last week. Some signs asking for 6 ft distancing, and some big chain store employees wearing masks but that's about it.

We only had wind over 10 mph ONE of our 5 days last week, hope you get that experience!

Good luck, have a great time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
My experiences in Wyoming have been great other than the first time. We were in the southern part of the state. Started with snow and ended with wind, like lots of wind. Camp was basically flattened on our last day. Roads were an absolute nightmare. Chained up on all 4 and still having issues. Next 2 years were great, love seeing lots of animals.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I’m very excited to be heading to WY this year. I have spent two years planning this hunt. Countless hours on OnX, contacting local county, blm, and Wyoming wildlife managers.

I’m feeling very confident about this deer and antelope hunt, but it is time for Input from the community.

We will be staying in Kaycee and uniting unit 21 and 20 for antelope. We will also hunting region y for deer. Focusing on the south end of the unit.

If any one has any input it is greatly appreciated!
howd hunt go?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts