IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Another time I was hiking in before light on a logging road. A bear with cubs was coming down the hill through the brush and must have smelled me on the road where they were about to cross. I heard cubs go up a tree and momma bear started huffing, cracking brush and clicking its jaws. This was made worse because I tried to keep going, and she tried to go the same way. So she might have thought I was following her. Keep in mind it was dark so I had no idea where she was. I decided to just get ready in case she actually charges. So I backed to the other side of the road to create a buffer, took the safety off and thought, "Well, I can probably get one shot off before she is on me." I stood there waiting for the showdown...and waited. After a little bit I didn't hear anything moving. They never came out and just kind of drifted away. It was pretty tense for a while.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Was deer hunting in the Ochocos a long time ago. I was pushing up a draw and heard a bunch of commotion on the ridge. I figured it was a herd of elk and there weren't any deer around so I walked up for a look see. Turned out to be a herd of wild horses. As I crested the ridge the stallion moved forward and postured a bit. I grew up around horses and they've tried to kill me several times. I should have known better, but for some reason that I still can't explain, I pawed the ground with my foot and whinnied. The stallion lost his mind. He started pogo sticking, throwing his head around, tearing up small saplings and kicking up rooster tails of dirt and rocks. I thought to myself "He's going to stomp me into paste". I looked down at the ground and backed back down over the ridge while trying to make myself look as small and insignificant as possible. He tore around for a few minutes longer and then the whole herd came over the edge of the ridge and went barreling down the draw. I was off to the side a bit and it was a sight to behold. Had I not been off to the side I would have been stomped into paste.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Was deer hunting in the Ochocos a long time ago. I was pushing up a draw and heard a bunch of commotion on the ridge. I figured it was a herd of elk and there weren't any deer around so I walked up for a look see. Turned out to be a herd of wild horses. As I crested the ridge the stallion moved forward and postured a bit. I grew up around horses and they've tried to kill me several times. I should have known better, but for some reason that I still can't explain, I pawed the ground with my foot and whinnied. The stallion lost his mind. He started pogo sticking, throwing his head around, tearing up small saplings and kicking up rooster tails of dirt and rocks. I thought to myself "He's going to stomp me into paste". I looked down at the ground and backed back down over the ridge while trying to make myself look as small and insignificant as possible. He tore around for a few minutes longer and then the whole herd came over the edge of the ridge and went barreling down the draw. I was off to the side a bit and it was a sight to behold. Had I not been off to the side I would have been stomped into paste.
Feral, not wild. They don’t belong in our ecosystem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Few things.

Bit by rattlesnake fly fishing in Montana.
Got chased by bull moose fishing in a creek.
Archery hunting elk, turned around to see a cougar less than 20 yards away. Stuck it and then had to shoot it with sidearm at my feet.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
What was the moose fishing for? Can you describe the moose? It might be the one that bit my sister.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
In my teens I went and met some friends in Maupin one spring to go rafting. They had everything all set up when I pulled in at around dusk and one of my buddys had his parents guard trained German Shephard with him. Big, big male.. I didn't have a clue this dog was with him. And this dog had something against men that wore a baseball cap. I always wear a hat. The trap was set and my buddys couldn't wait for it.. No more than 10 steps from my truck walking into camp, this massive male shep pops up behind a tent at 10 yards and comes charging at me full bore, barking like he wanted to take my head off. I back peddle back to my rig as fast as I could knowing dang well I wouldn't make it back in time. It played out perfectly for them as the dog was collared and tied off and came to a screeching halt 2ft short of me. If I hadn't have fallen backwards head over heels backpeddeling, I don't think it would of been such a "funny" hysterical event for them. They laughed and laughed and laughed again.. The rest of the trip that dog was my buddy haha.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Few years ago was on maui snorkleling with my wife . Little punchbowl with high cliffs. Now Im a poor swimmer and am often not very comfortable in the water. Waters pretty deep and we are seeing a few fish and some turtles. We get over near the cliff wall and I spot a moray eel swimming left to right at the base off the cliff, I point it out to my wife who is right next to me. Im guessing it was around 5 feet long. We watch as it headed to a school of decent sized fish, made a pass at one and missed. Then it turned and started swimming right at me. Not sure how far it was but by the time he was halfway to me Im thinking Im probably going to get bit. Knew I couldn't out run it. So I started calculating which appendage would be best to get bit? I pulled my legs up and had my arms out in front of me kind of spread out. It just kept coming and it seemed to be focussed directly on my face. It swam right in between my arms and opened its mouth, looked like two white pyramids hinged at the base. I took a swing with my right hand to knock it away and then turned and tried to put some distance between . Then I thought I better make sure it wasn't chasing us. So I stopped and looked back. Dont know here it went, but we never saw it again. When I came up my wife was next to me laughing hysterically !!!! Not sure if I actually hit it, cant believe I missed but I didnt feel anything?? And yes, I have invented a simple self defense device for snorkelers!!!

·
Registered
16,459 Posts
Ha! I guess I do have an animal attack story, I got bit by the Hawaiian state fish..............it has a terribly long name.

Reactions: nick kenney

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
While archery elk hunting my daughter and I had hiked into a wilderness about an hour and a half in the dark when it started getting daylight I had a bull lite up. As we moved up the hill a bit to get in tight we both see a black bear up the hill about 50 or 60 yards. It moved from my view. I didn't think much about it and kept calling to the bull back and forth. The bull was very close and we expected to see it very soon. My daughter kept looking up where the bear was I noticed. I couldn't see anything and kept an eye out for the bull. After a few minutes I see the bear come down the hill towards us and stop at 30 yards . He locked on me then locked on my daughter. I drew my bow and had him pinned, when all of a sudden he bolted towards us with what looked like dinner on his mind. I let go an arrow and hit him square in the chest. He spun and ran off. We tracked him about 50 or 60 yards and found him piled up in some really thick brush. Needless to say this was an eye opener for both of us as I spend alot of time walking in the dark and have never had an aggressive situation like this. The bear was not a big one but not a cub either, probably a couple years old. There was nothing between the bear and us so it was wide open with just some short grass and we were knelt down. Pretty exciting for both of us and plenty to talk about in camp after that experience. My side arm never left its holster. (I forgot I had it😂) from now on I care a spare pair of shorts next to my elk bags!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Few years ago was on maui snorkleling with my wife . Little punchbowl with high cliffs. Now Im a poor swimmer and am often not very comfortable in the water. Waters pretty deep and we are seeing a few fish and some turtles. We get over near the cliff wall and I spot a moray eel swimming left to right at the base off the cliff, I point it out to my wife who is right next to me. Im guessing it was around 5 feet long. We watch as it headed to a school of decent sized fish, made a pass at one and missed. Then it turned and started swimming right at me. Not sure how far it was but by the time he was halfway to me Im thinking Im probably going to get bit. Knew I couldn't out run it. So I started calculating which appendage would be best to get bit? I pulled my legs up and had my arms out in front of me kind of spread out. It just kept coming and it seemed to be focussed directly on my face. It swam right in between my arms and opened its mouth, looked like two white pyramids hinged at the base. I took a swing with my right hand to knock it away and then turned and tried to put some distance between . Then I thought I better make sure it wasn't chasing us. So I stopped and looked back. Dont know here it went, but we never saw it again. When I came up my wife was next to me laughing hysterically !!!! Not sure if I actually hit it, cant believe I missed but I didnt feel anything?? And yes, I have invented a simple self defense device for snorkelers!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Local park, a male goose came after my daughter when she was about five years old. It was spring time. She ran behind me and the goose attack me. Damn things have really strong wings. I backhanded that goose as hard as i could hitting its head and killed it. OH **** I was in a park animals protected. Got out of there real quick.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts