IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Was hunting grouse in a January snow filled forest. For whatever reason, dogs gone feral had become a problem in that area, killing deer, etc. I worked my way up a ravine, crossed dog tracks going in the same direction I was headed. I continued to move quietly, the snow muffling my steps. I forget if I stepped on a stick or what, but from behind two boulders maybe 15 yards ahead of me a black dog, popped up, jumped up onto one of the boulders and growled at me. Sadly, he was no longer some summertime vacationer’s pet. That growl was the last thing he did.

On the Jefferson Lake trail, summertime solo overnight backpacking trip, at the base of Sugar Pine Ridge near Cougar Spring where the trail is brushy I jumped a sow and her two cubs. Had a bit of a stand-off with the sow having the high ground and aggressively chuffing at me. I backed up, dropping my pack, hoping that’d distract her if she charged and searched for a tree I might climb.
With her cubs hightailing it up the ridge and away from me, the sow was satisfied and we all went on our separate ways. I did have several hundred more yards of brushy trail to get through and I sure made a lot of noise as I went through.

While in Yellowstone National Park, downstream of Fishing Bridge on the north side of the Yellowstone River, opposite the roaded side, we hiked downstream and encountered two cow moose. mrsgaryk, having not seen moose before moved in a for a closer look. Big Mistake.
Fortunately, mrsgaryk being on the slim side, found a lodgepole wider than her as the moose spooked and crashed about. I ducked behind a decent sized fir.

More unsettling than the moose was fishing the Buffalo Ford area until it was dark. No moon. Really dark. No headlamps. We’d stayed too late. Leaving the Yellowstone River, crossing the fairly open ground and heading to our truck we discovered the bison herd had come in for their evening meal and water. Some shadows were bushes. Others were not. Making our way the several hundred yards to the road through the shadows was pretty intense

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
When I was 20 and extra smart, I was hunting with my step-dad in an any bull OTC unit. I spotted a spike elk in some reprod and he was setting up to shoot when I stopped him and pointed out a “branch bull” in another opening looking at us. He shot as it turned and it fell.

We walked over to it and it was a huge and I mean huge spike. In disbelief, I grabbed its left antler and turned the head. I looked at him, he looked at me and it was on. That bull was on by butt as I ran as fast as I could down the semi-open reprod. It was not long but felt like forever before my step-dad hit it and dropped it with his pistol.

He had initially shot the bull through both front knee caps and dropped it. Thank goodness he was a great shot with that long barreled .357 but I’d preferred he practiced a little more with the then new .300 he had.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When I was 20 and extra smart, I was hunting with my step-dad in an any bull OTC unit. I spotted a spike elk in some reprod and he was setting up to shoot when I stopped him and pointed out a “branch bull” in another opening looking at us. He shot as it turned and it fell.

We walked over to it and it was a huge and I mean huge spike. In disbelief, I grabbed its left antler and turned the head. I looked at him, he looked at me and it was on. That bull was on by butt as I ran as fast as I could down the semi-open reprod. It was not long but felt like forever before my step-dad hit it and dropped it with his pistol.

He had initially shot the bull through both front knee caps and dropped it. Thank goodness he was a great shot with that long barreled .357 but I’d preferred he practiced a little more with the then new .300 he had.
Ha! That reminds me...Shot a nice buck one year that dropped like a sack of potatoes...left the rifle behind me and went up to it...no no right?...all of a sudden the dang thing started to get up...I grabbed it's antlers and away we went. I was pinning it to the ground and twisting it's neck so it couldn't get his feet underneath him...felt like forever. Buddy ran back and got the rifle...we did a quick 1,2,3 switch and blammo right in the neck. Never did find where the first bullet hit...

Only one big bruise on my thigh from an antler digging in.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Ha! That reminds me...Shot a nice buck one year that dropped like a sack of potatoes...left the rifle behind me and went up to it...no no right?...all of a sudden the dang thing started to get up...I grabbed it's antlers and away we went. I was pinning it to the ground and twisting it's neck so it couldn't get his feet underneath him...felt like forever. Buddy ran back and got the rifle...we did a quick 1,2,3 switch and blammo right in the neck. Never did find where the first bullet hit...

Only one big bruise on my thigh from an antler digging in.
I like when the guys have to gun in between the horns for pics and the sucker takes off with the gun 😂🤔

·
Registered
16,459 Posts
I like when the guys have to gun in between the horns for pics and the sucker takes off with the gun 😂🤔
Buddy of mine says that is a true story, met the guy wondering around with out his Weatherby.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I have a caretaker cabin at the top and far end of our ranch ,My caretaker kept alfalfa in the Mudroom .Mudroom had a corrugated plastic panel for light 😂.i dug into a bank and created a cabin site with a view and close to a giant spring .Mud room room was close to cut bank .He would feed herds of deer 😳.He called me one day and needed help ,a deer was stuck on the roof ,no big deal get the deer off the roof 😂.He said no it’s stuck .Jump in the SxS ,it’s about 45 minute ride ,about seven miles .I get there it’s a Doe and her legs broke through the plastic skylight 😂.Inside the room here are four legs and hooves dangling ,with a rafter between her legs 😳Did not want to hurt her ,when I would get close she didn’t like it .Gently put a blanket over her ,loosely placed a rope around her ran rope thru a piece of abs pipe like a varmit catcher ,gently pulled her loose with practice .She hung around for some alfalfa after that I had him move the feed 🤔.

One of the caretakers friends thought it would be a good idea to to play cowboy a throw a lariet over one of the Big bucks off the deck ,he had the rope tied to the handrails .Buck removed the rails and ballesters for us 😳

·
Registered
146 Posts
While hunting Elk in Ukiah 3 years ago we had a standoff with a cougar at 13 yards. It was coiled and ready to spring. It was growling and hissing at us with it's ears pinned flat. My son shot it with his bow head on before it got a chance to spring. I carry a side arm 95% of the time, but we got a late start that morning and I didn't grab my pistol as we headed out. She wound up being a 4 year old female. The very next year, not 30 yards from that spot we saw a male cougar hanging out. He didn't appear to be scarred of us at all. Son shot at him, but his fall away rest stayed up and the arrow dumped at his feet. He just slowly sauntered off with no real urgency.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
German Shepherds. Two incidents in my lifetime. They don't like me. I don't like them and I love dogs. And no it wasn't law enforcement related:)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Got bit by a husky when I was a kid delivering papers. Lucky it was winter cause I had 2 pairs of long johns and jeans on (upstate NY winters were cold back then). Got bit 3 times in 1 year while living in CO in early 90's. Almost 30 years ago and I still don't trust dogs. Been cornered by a couple also and had to put my bike between me and them. Come to think of it, my wife and I were surrounded by 5 aggressive cattle dogs while walking a farm road in Australia 20 yrs ago... fortunately they lost interest after awhile. Good therapy session... can go back to forgetting all that stuff now.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Got bit by a husky when I was a kid delivering papers. Lucky it was winter cause I had 2 pairs of long johns and jeans on (upstate NY winters were cold back then). Got bit 3 times in 1 year while living in CO in early 90's. Almost 30 years ago and I still don't trust dogs. Been cornered by a couple also and had to put my bike between me and them. Come to think of it, my wife and I were surrounded by 5 aggressive cattle dogs while walking a farm road in Australia 20 yrs ago... fortunately they lost interest after awhile. Good therapy session... can go back to forgetting all that stuff now.
Crikey 😳

·
Registered
14,042 Posts
I was rabbit hunting when I was about 16 years old and did a swan dive over a fence with a huge holstein bull hot on my arse.

·
Registered
13,860 Posts
Accidently got in between a cow elk and her calf in the coast range. Range was less than 20 yards (In my defense, I didn't know the calf was there). Brush was too thick to just run thru. If I walked back out the same path I took in, I would have gone straight towards the calf. The other directions were blocked by an angry cow... or a steep rise too high to climb. So I stood there.

Mama was not happy. Ears back, hair up on her neck and back, and she was squared up on me just a few feet away. Thought she was gonna squish me into a greasy spot. Jr finally walked the right direction, and I exited stage left.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Only domestic cattle. When I was a kid, dad asked me to go down to the lower field to check if one of our cows had given birth yet. She had and I was between her and the new calf. I was always pretty good at climbing trees, luckily. That's all, so far.

Reactions: lilnorthfork

·
Registered
506 Posts
A bull elephant interrupted breakfast at a campground in Ngorongoro Crater park in Tanzania. It was not happy with us.

Only angry animal I've encountered besides bees and snakes.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
There was this one time at a bar in Hillsboro. Leisure suit Larry was putting the move on her and I was chosen as her way out. The bar was crowded so couldn’t just find another seat, I was cornered and unarmed. Pretty tense for sure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There was this one time at a bar in Hillsboro. Leisure suit Larry was putting the move on her and I was chosen as her way out. The bar was crowded so couldn’t just find another seat, I was cornered and unarmed. Pretty tense for sure.
Damn, you beat me to it 😂

21 - 40 of 56 Posts