IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stepped on a Rattlesnake once while hunting near Imnaha. By the grace of God it didn’t bite me. In Alaska I was charged by Bull Moose in the rut on two separate occasions. I had been calling them with a coffee can/shoestring call. One was killed by my buddy as it raced past him coming after me. The other I shot in the face at about twenty feet. A 250 gr Grand Slam bullet from my.338 WM ended his evil intentions. The only animal that hurt me was a dang Catfish spine in the hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
I know a guy who dropped a bull moose at his feet and another guy who was run over by a spooked bull elk. I shot a bear that was running straight at me after my brother spooked it in the bottom of a canyon. It had no idea I was in the middle of the trail as it was looking behind himself as he ran. Would have been on me in less than three seconds. Have had some close calls with dogs.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I had a Coues Deer come after me with murder in his eyes before....he lost. I had a badger chase me into the back of a pickup before. Honestly though....more "domesticated" stuff has tried to stomp me more than a wild animal though..LOL

Reactions: jokester

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Chased by a bison when I lived in GTNP. Snow banks were 10' high so nowhere to go. Was in disbelief it was chasing me as they tend to conserve energy when it is 0 out. I turned a corner and it slid on ice and gave up the chase. Had a herd stampede in the valley below RKO road and met me on the road. Ranger said bikes tend to **** em off. I did a 180 without ever stopping pedaling. Had a big black bear meet us on the trail while riding. Horses reared up then ran in a tight circle creating a dust storm that blocked all visibility... miracle none of us got thrown. Chased by a cow moose through the willows when I stumbled on her and her calf. Had to go back later to find my fly rod. People would drive all over the park looking for wildlife... sit still and they find you.

Muskox started to charge us up on the Noatak River in Gates of the Arctic but only made a half-hearted effort. Apparently you are supposed to just lay down when they charge... was going to have a hard time convincing myself to do that. Watched this sow fishing to feed her 3 cubs about 40' away... fortunately she was focused on fishing and didn't notice us. Able to cover 40'/second... well, you can do the math.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Had a baby black bear come out of the brush and follow me for about a hundred yards, like he wanted to play. I'd just seen the mother and having a play-date with the baby didn't seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Got between a sow black bear and her two cubs one time bow hunting, not on purpose,.... she charged as I was backing back down the two track road trying to distance myself from the cubs, ( she was up wind). She covered the ground amazingly fast, I had knocked a arrow already and turned on one foot, trying to come to draw, saying out loud " this is it". I wasn't at full draw, when she turned at 10-12', and headed up the road toward her cubs. I damn near kicked milk duds out of my pants.
Mike

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Had a macaque chase me a little while snarling...shouldn't have touched it's tail...

Went scuba diving once with sea lions around...had one right in my face giving me the biggest full tooth smile...kinda scary lol

Cows always seemed to be my worst enemy....had a blue grouse fly and hit me in the chest once...

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
Threatened by lots of dogs but not hurt. Threatened by a Copperhead. It didn’t end well for him/her. It did strike without it’s head.

Well, there was the one time my Aunt’s Pekingese bit me, but it was just back from a long vacation and didn’t want to play with an 8 year old. It left a bruise in my thumb fingernail. I’d call that my fault. Also, one beagle tried it’s best to bite me, but I was far too fast. It calmed down after a bit of a shake by me from it’s collar. Otherwise, no hurt by an animal.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
A Møøse once bit my sister.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Rattlesnakes bit on boot twice. Over ripe Jack Salmon slashed my hand. Dead mule deer kicked my chin.

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
UHMW... Yea, the owl incident. Was in a pit blind with just my head sticking above the wheat stubble. Early goose season. Just starting to get light out and had this feeling I wasn't alone. Could sort of hear a soft sound but didn't see anything till I looked up. A Great Horned Owl was hovering just above my head. Took a bit to convince it I wasn't going to be breakfast.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts