IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dale, I have converted a few older vehicles with mixed results. The points and condensor is much more reliable if you do the maintenance. On the electronic model, when the box dies you are dead in the water, with no hope of fixing it. I did get a Mallory after market distributor for the 4 banger on 'Pilar'. But it is still points and condensor because 'black box' electronics scares me.

On a boat, things have to work 24/7.

If my boat has a bad day, I cannot just hop out and walk home like I can with the car.

Is it maintenance that makes you want to change?

[ 04-08-2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Pilar ]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Blubeast,
Were you going to change the distributor, or just change the points? I went the cheap ($90) route about a year and a half ago, and converted to the pointless ignition. I didn't notice much difference (although I think it might start a little quicker), and I probably wouldn't do it again. I did keep the old set of point and condenser in the glove box just in case. It only takes about 10 minutes to change them back.

love2fish

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
You'll get a stronger spark with electronic ignition, but they're kind of vulnerable in a marine environment. If you just have to do it, I'd carry a spare module on the boat. Like Pilar said, you can't get out and walk. :depressed:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yes Pilar, I had hoped to hear they were more reliable, trouble free, etc... just like the ads say. Got the idea when I was changing out the points & cond. last year... so thought I'd ask the 'experts' here on ifish. Had planned on doing the electronic conversion that leaves the distributor intact, just swaping out the points..etc.

As usual... great feedback. Thanks to all for your comments.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Been considering converting from the old 'points & condenser' in my distributor to an aftermarket electronic distributor for my I/O.

Have you converted? Was it as easy as the ads say? Do you recommend others make the change? Would you do it again? Have you achieved the performance improvements you expected? Has your engine reliability improved?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.