Hi,

what do hatcheries feed to the fish?

EK

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very good! :cheers:

I was hoping for something a bit more specific.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Might be where they got that Carrot Milk

The fish can't leave that stuff alone :grin:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Sorry, couldnt resist...Not sure what's in it, but they are little brown pellets..I thought I remembered seeing a post about this a while back.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I was told that the adult coho carcasses from bonneville and other hatcherys that are not for human comsumption quality this time of year went to the fish food factory?

UG

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I do know that they add garlic to the pellets. I always add Pro Cures Garlic plus and Garlic Slamola powder to all my scents and smelly jellies. :cheers:

·
Registered
160 Posts
So do you want specifics or just a quick overview?
Uglygreen is correct on the salmon carcases going back for recycling. Hatcheries feed dry and moist pellets to the fish. with the pellet being 65 to 85% fish. Other ingredients are blood meal, bone meal, wheat or other grains, vitamins, and medicins for medicated feed. They also in the private industries add dye to color the meat of the fish. And the Purina Trout chow use to be a mainstay for the private fish farms in Idaho. Worked two yeas over there rasing everything from trout,catfish,talapia,sturgeon,and Gators. :grin:
Hope this helps. :cheers:
Hagen

·
Registered
195 Posts
Watched a show on the discovery channel last Friday night about gross jobs. The Bio Oregon company was on there making fish food and fertilizer. What they showed was ground up fish heads and guts made into a paste and then powder blood added. At the end of the show they were at a hatchery feeding the fish. If you ever drive out by the factory in Warrenton their recipe smells just like what they said it was. :sick:

notaclue

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I thought i done heard somewhere that "Northern Pikeminnow" were ground up and fed to smolts added into pellet stuff.....True?

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
me cooking up something, not me.

just wondering what hatchery fish eat.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
WARNING!!!!!! Do not sneak into the kitchen at night and grind up the fish food pellets in your wifes coffee grinder. It WILL stain the plastic, and the smell will NOT come out with ordinary cleaning measures. Don't ask me how I know this. Or if you do ask, don't bring it up in front of my wife. :wink:

RF

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
RougeFishr
"WARNING!!!!!! Do not sneak into the kitchen at night and grind up the fish food pellets in your wifes coffee grinder. It WILL stain the plastic, and the smell will NOT come out with ordinary cleaning measures. Don't ask me how I know this. Or if you do ask, don't bring it up in front of my wife."

True. But when the grindings are mixed with certain "secret" additives they are dynamite on planted hatchery trout. You need to explain this to your wife. She will understand.
BTW OMP works better than dry pellets.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
I thought they fed them Power Bait. :shrug: :grin:

Actually if you look back at the history of it I believe they were feeding them tripe, condemmed meat and all sorts of good stuff back in the good old days.

Hatchery fish didn't survive too well and were disease prone and if I recolect they didn't get the feed figured out until the 60's or 70's when they really started having sucess with hatchery fish survival and wild fish downfall. :shocked:
:depressed:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts