IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will they ever give up? I don't think so. Today's Oregonian, conservation groups threaten to sue ODFW if hatchery fish don't stop going poop in the hatcheries. I think it is time to form a very large group, go after big money and start fighting these groups. If they can sucker people into there thinking then we should be able to convince good people with money to help our cause. Now if we do not want to have fish to catch then we can let them run over us. Think about it. Jerry

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Press release:

"Conservation Groups to Sue Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Over State Fish Hatchery Operations

Portland, OR- Oregon's state-run fish hatcheries are routinely violating the Clean Water Act. A coalition of six conservation organizations initiated legal proceedings today to redress these violations by sending the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) a formal notice of intent to file a citizen suit against the agency. "Oregon's state-run hatchery program is causing environmental degradation well beyond levels permitted by the Clean Water Act," according to Mark Riskedahl, Executive Director of the Northwest Environmental Defense Center (NEDC). This is not the first time that ODFW's hatchery program has come under scrutiny for Clean Water Act violations. In 2001, the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) issued a formal Notice of Noncompliance to ODFW for pervasive water quality violations it characterized as "systemic". These violations have continued largely unabated. In fact, there have been over 1,500 separate violations since DEQ's original notice in 2001.
The significance of these continued violations in tight economic times is not lost on Joe Whitworth, Executive Director of Oregon Trout. " While most every other state program has undergone round after round of belt-tightening, ODFW perpetuates a program with steep ecological and financial costs -- too steep. These violations demonstrate a clear need for greater scrutiny of a program that's both expensive and broken."
Over 5 million pounds of commercial "closed formula" feed passed through state-run hatcheries into Oregon's waters last year alone. ODFW is uncertain what proprietary ingredients the feed contains, though independent scientists and federal agencies have expressed concern that the feed is contaminated with toxic constituents. Undigested feed and various other chemicals used in the hatchery production process combine with the large volume of fish feces to result in water quality violations.
"ODFW is not above the law. It must be held to the same standard to which private polluters are held, and it must comply with the Clean Water Act", stated Chris Winter, an attorney with Cascade Resources Advocacy Group (CRAG), a public interest environmental law firm in Portland, Oregon representing the conservation groups.
Decrepit hatchery infrastructure and serious mismanagement have led to a situation in which a major overhaul of Oregon's hatchery program would be necessary to meet minimum legal standards. Joining NEDC on the suit are Oregon Trout, Trout Unlimited, the Native Fish Society, Pacific Rivers Council and the Oregon Natural Resources Council."

This is just the next round in political and legal tactics... :hoboy:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Jerry - A post on the "Breach dams - yes or no" thread hits the nail on the head. Dams will go away when the maintenence costs are increased to exceed the benefits. Same theory applies to fish hatcheries, I guess. :whazzup:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Originally posted by jerry dove:
Today's Oregonian, conservation groups threaten to sue ODFW if hatchery fish don't stop going poop in the hatcheries.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Jerry, I understand how you feel about hatcheries, but portraying the issue as "conservation groups threaten to sue ODFW if hatchery fish don't stop going poop in the hatcheries" is highly inaccurate. The concentration of biological fish waste is part of it (normal fish populations in rivers wouldn't have so many fish producing so much waste in such a small area at such high concentrations), but it is also the fish food entering the water. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that the combination of fish wastes boost the nitrate levels pretty high in the downstream river.

If it is indeed true that DEQ has cited the hatcheries that many times in the last couple of years, then it seems like a legitimate problem that needs to be fixed, and the ODFW knows it. We can't simply turn our heads to these types of things just because we like the positive things that the hatcheries produce.

Please don't label me a "hatchery fish-hater". I'm just trying to look at the issue without prejudice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jerry: I really appreciate your efforts for all of us but I think Fishing Geek's response is a more level headed response than yours. If there is a problem let's figure out a way to fix it. Maybe OT can learn this method also- instead of paying the lawyers we can fix problems. A radical idea............

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Geek,
I don't know if you came from a hatchery but I can personal vouch that you are not a fish-hater. :grin:

·
Registered
412 Posts
There must have been a lot of fish poop in the rivers when the runs were in the millions. Maybe they should sue the city of Portland. :hoboy: HJ

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
digifish:

I embrace piscatorial diversity. :grin:

HawgJaw:

Certainly there were a lot of fish in the river back then, but again, we're talking about concentration of fish. All those fish back then were usually spread across miles and miles of river, whereas the hatcheries are dumping the waste from those fish, and the unnatural feed that they eat, into one area at highly-concentrated levels. That's the problem right there. If they could somehow pre-dillute the waste beforehand then it probably wouldn't be as much of a problem.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
These groups will do anything to shut down the hatcheries. Aunty M, where are you now that we need you down here!!!! :depressed:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
You folks are really going to like fish farms when they spring up and dot every cove and shoreline like they do in Canada. HooooooBoooooy!!! :hoboy:

They make hatcheries look absolutely pristine.

Skein

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm with the Geek on this. Need to evaluate and address the problem. I agree that some enviro groups go overboard but so does industry. Everyone plays their role and hopefully the correct balance is struck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Classic case of killing the messenger; if you think it’s okay for hatcheries to pollute our rivers, then lobby your congressman to repeal the Clean Water Act. Otherwise quite whining about citizens who have the guts to demand the government live up to the same standards that we have to.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have any studies been done to show how the fish hatcheries releasing the waste into the water affect the species in those areas? Are species dieing because of the waste being released into the water, or are they just making a stink about it because rules are rules?

I have to agree with fish geek that if the wastes are negatively affecting the species in those areas than ODFW should fix the problem. However, if the waste doesn't neccessarily affect the species in those areas then I don't see what the big deal is.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm here Thumper.

Let's all pretend that this issue isn't fixable first, so **** can pollute... oh wait, fish turds are polluting, not monikers. :grin:

Can we say over react? Looks like ODFW is taking steps to fix the problem.

DEQ and ODFW will be working cooperatively in the next several months to review operations at all hatcheries, find effective solutions to prevent fish diseases while protecting nearby water resources, develop methods to monitor incoming sediment concentrations, and develop a plan to ensure all hatcheries comply with existing and new permit requirements.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I tried to tell you Oregon hatcheries would come under attack next. WT made very little headway up here with their suit so perhaps the plan is to attack ODFW which has a smaller budget? In spite of the petty little battles I keep fighting on other boards, the fact remains.... WT's own wording of their lawsuit claims ALL hatcheries harm wild fish.

Keep an eye on em and start investigating where they get funding. Ifisher's have far more clout than you know.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
At least DEQ doesn't warn me to wash my hands after coming in contact with water below the hatcheries like they do about Portland's sewage spills into the Willamette. Smolt poop must not be as deadly.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
This issue has had ODFW's attention for years now.... I think the coastal hatcheries that were proposed for closure are the ones with the worst fish sewage problems or the ones that would cost the most to fix (sewage treatment plants).

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm with ya' Jerry! You are exactly right, it'll never be enough! Not until we're all barefoot, and cookin' veggies (oh wait, they feel pain too) over some acorns, (oh wait, the grey squirrels need those). Pleeeese..... :whazzup:

Back in the late 70's, there was a saying "The solution to pollution is dilution." :blush:

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
reeldick hit it on the head!

I think WT/OT could spend their dollars a little more wisely attacking bigger perpetrators but they've got a beef with the hatcheries.

I'm really sorry Jerry, I know you've got to be getting depressed that all your efforts to keep them running seems to be for not. :depressed: Let's hope ODFW can fend them off on this battle.

If any of the proposed license fee increase money goes to pay settlements to Oregon Trout then I say we all just start looking for a new hobby. Anybody want to buy a boat? :whazzup:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts