IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were running up the river today at about half throttle enjoying a nice day on the river when all a sudden my motor goes into neutral and sits revving away. I turned the key off and nothing happened. Ran back and opened the box and said now what. I pulled all the plug wires and the motor finally died. What in the world is wrong. The motor has less than 30 hours on it.

I called the dealer and I'm taking it in tomorrow to get looked at. It will be warranty work, but it still sucks. I really wanted to go fishing tomorrow.

Only highlight is I did get a nice bright hen about 8 lbs. I guess breaking down upriver from the launch is a bonus too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Cool breakdown! Let us know what it was. :cool:

I sucked a plastic bag and it wouldn't steer correctly and the stator acted up (factory defect) causing me to lose 1000 rpm.

I'm beginning to think that, if I didn't want problems, I should have kept the DB.

"The sea was calm and the sky was blue;
Merrily, merrily sailed we two.
(High barometer maketh glad.)
On the tipsy ship, with a dreadful shout,
The tempest descended and we fell out.
(O the walking is nasty bad!)"
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Very interesting I have never heard of that before as a sport jet owner myself I have been very pleased keep us posted as to what the dealer says. at least one good thing happened for you.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I would start by checking your linkage. There is a little plunger on the linkage that lets the engine rev up without moving the reverse gate. It's set up so you can give it extra throttle while starting it when it's cold without creating thrust. There are two controll cables, one throttle, one reverse gate, both need to move together to make it go. It sounds like somthing just came loose. I've had to tighten loose linkage nuts a couple of times on mine.

edit: Woops, I missed the part about not shutting off
in my first post. But as far as I know the SJ are direct drive, so nuetral is controlled by the reverse gate.

[ 07-02-2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Norm ]

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Hearing this just makes me glad that I have a V-8.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it turns out that the gears between the motor and the impellor broke. I was thinking linkage but it wasn't. Should be back in action in about a week. Just my luck the fishing picks up on the river and I'm boatless. Oh well gramps is gonna take me out on the ocean next week.

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
Originally posted by Tanner:
Hearing this just makes me glad that I have a V-8.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Yeah, nothing ever goes wrong with them! :wink: :wink:

TR

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I have a 1991 Redline 351 with 400 some odd hours on it and it runs like a clock. I have replaced a starter ($59.95) and rebuilt the carb ($150.00) and I change the oil once a year whether it needs it or not. ($18.00).

Before I owned my Formula Vee I had an Alumaweld Sea Dory with a 115 jet on it. Even getting something minor repaired on that motor cost me a fortune. V-8 I can do alot of the repairs myself and not pay a $60.00 per hour labor rate.

[ 07-02-2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Tanner ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
ON THE OTHER HAND --- I have owned Merc 200 jets, a Merc Jet 30, 2 Merc 50s, many Merc 6, 8, and 15 motors, all with hundreds (even thousands) of hours on them, and never had a lick of a problem with any of them. Not a single problem. I probably only changed the plugs and lower unit fluids on half of them.

But on my 460 inboards I had constant problems, from starters to alternators to plug wires, etc., etc.

I'll take outboards any time. To each his own.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm not sold on SportJets. Give me the rumble of a V8 when you turn that key.
Fuel Injected 350 with a Hamilton Pump. Now that's what I call boating... :dance:

Just My 2 Cents...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
how bout this, bring on the sportjet, tie my boat and any sportjet boat stern to stern and i will pull you backwards and probly get up on step and the only thing you`l be doing is "whistling dixie" :laugh:

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
If there is a dead horse to be beaten, we can sure count on boater. :rolleyes: :wink: What exactly would you pulling a SJ backwards prove? You like to burn a lot of gas? :hoboy:

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

·
Registered
515 Posts
w.d.--
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Tanner,

if your Merc( I assume it was a Merc) was an inline 6 pre 1986, your woes had nothing to do with outboard vs. inboard.

I can tell you from experience( I am in tears as I type this) that the in line 6s of that era don't really like jet pumps. Some of them don't really like anything at all <cryinfetalposition.nogrin>.

My folks had an inboard that they sunk 5 grand into trying to make it run right. It never did. Same story with an uncle of mine.

Same story with my 115 Merc.<waaaaahhhhh!!!!>.

Now it is either a carb air leak, or a choke solenoid(long shot). That or 2 coils went bad at once.
Mark and the Snap On! dog.

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
The SJ is the same V-6 powerhead as the Merc outboards. The 175 is carburated, the 210 and 240 are injected. I marvel at the distain some people show for this unit, when they extoll it as an outboard. In 6 years of heavy use, I've found it to be powerful, light, reliable and convenient. Needless to say, I'm a fan.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
AND a heck of a lot cheaper than the 200 outboard. Way less expensive, lighter, and way more powerful. The SJ is an marvelous product.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts