IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen one hooked on Tillamook Bay several years ago. The guy thought he'd hooked the mother of all salmon. It took him from one side of the bay and back again. To my memory, he lost it soon after. Fun watching him chase it :smile:

·
Registered
320 Posts
we caught one fishing for yellowfin tuna out of cabo at gordo banks in feb of this year. we were chunk fishing about 100 feet of line out drifting... wham!... pulled like a freight train for about 5 minutes, then he got super angry. he had a 6/0 hook right between his front teeth and up into the plate of his mouth. he surfaced a couple of times, got a bead on us, each time making some really crazy hissing sounds. you could see the eye of the hook was caught between his front teeth. the captain/boatboy starts reeling him closer and closer to club him. this thing looks really mad and huger and huger. taking the humanitarian approach, i told the captian not to bring that thing any closer ... plus i didn't want that sucker in the boat with us. about 20 feet from the boat now and it's getting more upset by the second, this thing is giant. finally the captain concedes and cuts the line. that 80 lb tuna string is tough stuff. never did see the sea lion again after that. caught 5 nice dorado and several sierra mackeral that day. never forget the look on that crazy sealion's face. saw tons of whales and caught lots of fish, but never did see another sealion out there.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Do a search on this one. I remember quite a few stories going around about guys hooking fish and then seals/sea lions taking the fish and running with them during springer season earlier this year. I think there were some pics going around too. Some of a sea lion with a kwikfish hanging out of it's honker :shocked: OUCH!!

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
I told the story once a long time ago on ifish but the family was entertaining an eastern oregon cowboy in Tillamook and we were out crabbing. We pull up along side a sand bar looking at the seals when the cowboys jumps out of the boat (in his cowboy boots) to our surprise and wants to steer wrassle one of these seals :shocked: :shocked: First he tires to get ahold of one of the big seals and it didnt take him long to realize he was outmatched. Seals are scrambling, dad is trying to get this cowboy back in the boat before we all get in trouble :hoboy: when the cowboy gets ahold of one of the seal pups. He has it in a bear hub and it is upside down.

He finally gets the seal turned over and packs it over to the boat. He wants to throw it in the boat but dad aint having none of that, he is lucky the pup was not biting and chewing on him. Finally convinced him to turn it loose and we were on our way. I might have to dig out the pics from moms photo album and post a few of them, quite the show for us non cowboy type.

Accidentally hooked one once off the jetty on a rod and reel. Only time I think I have ever been spooled. :blush:

·
Registered
95 Posts
No seals for me...but I did hook a beaver once, that should count. I broke him off before he totally spooled me. Hubby was laughin' his head off. Personally, I didn't see any thing to laugh about.
I do take catching seriously...but it was a totally one sided fight!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ahahahah, you guys kill me with these topics :laugh:
i don't have a seal, but i've had a duck on worm, a duck on sand shrimp, and a chicken on #3 Mepps spinner :shocked: :grin:
but last year at Pacific City i saw a guy with one of them trout poles fishing for fall nooks... i was just starting to get tired of making fun of him... and the guy caught a fish!!! :shrug: i think it was the first fish of the day(it was slow). so we sit there and watch the nook play with the poor guy for about 5 min, and then it took off back into the ocean... but just before it spooled him, a seal came out of nowhere and grabbed the fish... then he surfaced and sat there looking at us, with the fish in his mouth :shocked: :mad:
fortunately for the guy there was a canoe close buy and the people in it started hitting the surface of the water with the paddles...so the seal let go of the fish and the guy just reeled it in :shocked:
who says seals and fishermen can't work together :bowdown:

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I did watch a guy this year hook a seal from the Bandon Jetty on my lunch break. Cool place to sit on the jetty to watch fishermen and by god this guy hooked what we thought was a chinook. So I went down to help him land it and noticed a seal slapping it's tail around and looking quite mad. I told him he had a hold of it, and he swore he had a 'nook. Finally it got close enough that he saw it and the hook popped out. Disgruntled, he said well that outta learn him.

My second story comes from last fall on the Rogue in the bay. The only time I've fished it in several years and what a mad house. But anyhow a guy had beached his boat fighting a fish and all of a sudden started giving me the bird and cussing like crazy. I'm looking around thinking what did I do? We weren't tangled or anything? Well a seal surfaced with a 30 lb nook in it's jaws with his lure in the fishes mouth and parading it like crazy for him to see. We weren't running the motor after snagging up and was looking down in the boat when I hear BONK!
I thought a log had drifted down and I looked over to see a fish belly up with seal marks in it. The seal while swimming on it's back showing his catch bonked his head on my boat and dropped the fish. So I took it over to the guy on the bank and told him if I'd seen the seal coming I would've given him a few more raps on the head. But he had his fish and was happy. :grin:

tc

[ 09-30-2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: tailchaser ]

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
BOE, you forgot the opening "We were drinking a few beers and....." I have a couple cowboy friends I grew up with and I can totally imagine them doing that.

ROFLMAO

Personally, I have never hooked a seal, but have released a few birds.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Caught a Canadian honker at Wickiup res. a few years ago. I was plunkin` from the bank near Sheeps Bridge on a nice sunny day and a whole flock of them cruised right into my line and I didn`t see them because of the dropoff bank. It sure woke me up when I suddenly got this huge strike and a flock of geese took off flying all at the same time. The goose broke off after attaining approx 40 ft of altitude.(thank God!). All the boater`s in front of me got a big kick outta that stunt. Fishft. :shrug:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I caught a crawdad once on the Washougal with a nightcrawler! :wink: Oh, can't count that. :depressed: Sorry, but he did put up a good fight. :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Hooked a duck on a plastic worm once...He grabbed it and took to the air!! Luckily, it popeed out after a few seconds...Good fight though :grin:

·
Registered
733 Posts
i caught a sea gull in tillamook bay. while letting my herring out he swooped down and took it.. the hook snagged one of his nostril holes, it was like reeling in a kite, he was flapping and staying aloft but slowly getting closer and closer with each revolution of the reel. gently my dad grabbed the bird once he was over the boat and removed the hook, being in a catch and release kinda mood we tossed him back... i once fought a submerged crab pot in tillamook for 30 minutes too, but thats a story for another day.. joco

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Well I guess im the winner because I caught a seal while pulling crab rings at Newport. You know its not a good sign when you look into the water as your pulling and a big dark shape is right about where your crab ring should be surfacing. :grin: Luckily he/she backed out of the ring as soon as it felt the net.....which is a good thing for me since I had a death grip on the poly rope and it probably would have sliced my hands (or worse) if it took off while entangled :shocked:

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I played tug-o-war with a sealion this spring. I was using a whole 25# springer for bait. No, it was not plug cut. :grin:

We had seen this sealion feeding all around us during the day. When my rod went off, we dropped out to fight the fish. Next thing I know, my line is screaming off the reel and you could see a roostertail from the line as it flew upriver. Then that sealion came up to the surface with my springer in it's mouth. He let go and I reeled like a mad man. He grabbed it again and ran. We did this about 4 times before I got it to the boat. RubberHooks was fishing with me that day and he whacked it in the snout when he netted my fish. I thought that sealion was going to try to hop in the boat after the fish. I have heard stories of others losing fish to sealions. We won that day.

[ 10-01-2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: brshooter ]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Same scenario as brshooter. In the willamette above sellwood buddy gets a 12lb springer on ( I know because he got the fish near the boat and it rolled) after it rolled it took a dive.....and kept diving and diving and diving finnally we watched the the point where the line hits the water shoot away from us at 20 mph then....... sploosh, up comes that bugger with the our only fish of the day. Needless to say we chased and lost. But it wasnt a total loss my buddy managed to reel in a nice springer head......

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Wolfhunter was with me during an 'inside the bay' perch and herring mission. We had little trout ultralights with 6 lb test.

His rod, as he's jigging up and down, just pounds down and under the boat. :shocked: He brings the rod around to the back of the boat with enough time to watch the sea lion porposing 2-3 times swimming off into the sunset with a herring rig glimmering off the side of him.

Needless to say, Wolfhunter, just clamped down and on that reel and let him have it...(the rig) :tongue:

We must have seen that sea lion 3-4 other times that day....wasn't too hard NOT to spot! :grin:

[ 10-02-2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Sublime ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts