IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think there was a thread on this not to long ago. A guy planning just in case. I am of no help on this, but Congratulations on the tag!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would be more than happy to discuss the hunt with you. Feel free to shoot me a message. My daughter had the tag a few years back and i hunt the unit most years for elk or deer.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
not Hat Point but I drew Imnaha last year.
After much internal debate as to attempt DIY or hire out, I went with Brain Sanders of Oregon Backcountry Outfitters and don't regret that decision in the least!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not Hat Point but I drew Imnaha last year.
After much internal debate as to attempt DIY or hire out, I went with Brain Sanders of Oregon Backcountry Outfitters and don't regret that decision in the least!
Thanks for the info, i' seriously considering a guide also,.
I'm not young and invincible any more so i'll need help geting a goat back to camp

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
I scouted it when I had the statewide tag. Had a legit 50" walk within 15' of me right in front of the fire tower. Follow the rim to the North, ODFW has salt stations along the way. Put out a lick and keep it stocked and you can shoot one right on the rim. You will see tons of them. Anchor the goat, they are so tough it is unbelievable. Take a ball socket shot on the front legs, don't go for a lung shot until your second shot.

Reactions: BarbDeep

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Thanks for the info, i' seriously considering a guide also,.
I'm not young and invincible any more so i'll need help geting a goat back to camp
Phelps game calls recently put out a video where he hunted rifle elk with Brian. They did a much better job of catching Brian's demeanor on film... He's about as genuine as they come and a NEO native, grew up on a ranch, a real cowboy and tougher than hammered hog-snot but he also won't let an opportunity pass to hit you with a couple of good zingers if you open yourself up for one (so keep a couple of your own up your sleeve). He would be an utter failure as a used car salesman. He won't wipe your butt and doddle over you. He'll lead you to success but expect you to pull your weight.
One of my biggest concerns about hiring a guide was that I didn't want to feel like was just "buying" my goat and not "earning" it. On a goat hunt there's no way you CAN'T earn it. You've got to be the one to get yourself up there. Goats are SOOO hard to judge and a couple inches of total BC score can be the difference between an average goat and a great goat so having someone who's knowledgeable enough to make that call is invaluable. As we were hunting, I would imagine a plan on how I 'would' hunt it if I were there alone, then bounce the idea off Brian to see if I was on the right track. I usually wasn't, it could have been a real disaster if I went stumbling around with all my ignorance and lack of experience in the area.
Being from the coast, it's a 7+ hr drive to just get there, then it'd be another day's hike to get to the general area the goats live (which may not be an issue for you in your unit), so scouting for a diy hunt was going to be very time consuming and last summer was turned out to be about the WORST year possible, logistically speaking, to get drawn for a hunt like this.
On top of all that, by the time my buddies and I bought the right gear to to equip ourselves for a hunt of that nature, safety gear, gas for scouting trips, extra time off work, child care, etc etc etc... it didn't take long before it would have totaled a whole lot more that what I paid for Brian to have all the extra stuff and supply a comfortable camp. Not to mention, I also looked at having livestock in camp and readily available as "cheap insurance" in case a big early blizzard blew in and caught us with our pants down.
Unless you have a vast background in the area and your own set of goat hunting "know how," I think you'll come out ahead to hire someone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts