IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the hardest fighting fish pound for pound?
Would a 5 lb Salmon fight as hard as a 5 lb Shad?
Could a 5 lb Salmon fight as hard as a 5 lb Smallmouth? No way!

Any opinions on any fish vs any fish?

·
Registered
172 Posts
By far a nice bright summer steelhead. They are active, agile, and can be quite acrobatic in the water and in the air. They are a sight to behold and some fun fishing. Not to mention they are pretty fish.

FOD

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I've never caught a 5 lb smallmouth, caught some 1 and 2 pounders and yes they are some real scrappers.....but, i think steelhead are the most erratic, crazed, high powered, houston we have a problem, fightenest fish that i have ever encountered......and oh so tasty too!!!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
K-Mac nice avatar. :cool:

I have caught 5 lb smallies before and they fight like an 8 lb steelhead.

I would have to say the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught though was a 50 lb Roosterfish in Cabo. That fish tore me up. It fought like a turbo charged oversized sturgeon.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Skrimmy is right. I caught several bonito and skipjack tuna on my 9 weight flyrod when I was in Cabo. They put on a tremendous fight. The cool thing is when you hook them they head straight for the bottom at about 40 MPH. Yee Haa

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
There was a thread like this a few months ago. some interesting answers. Fresh, I'd say pound for pound, and 5 lb smallie would outfight a 5 pound steelie. A 5 lb peacock bass would spank them both. Include saltwater, and a 5lb trevally or permit would take them all to school. There are salt fish that just plain wear you out.
GBS

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Ocean sunfish or pink salmon. Not sure. Dastardly fighters.

Just kidding. Toss up between smallies and steelies for freshwater. For saltwater, I'd vote for tuna or shark because of the endurance muscle.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Chrome 7 lb Alaskan Sockeye, talk about an airshow!! Those fish beat a steelhead for sure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this, just the only one to admit to it! Oh yeah, they taste good too.

Steelie28

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.