IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rogue got a lot of suggestions from some of you for mounted VHF radios. I don't go into the ocean but have read reports from a lot of ifishers of times they've needed to use a radio while on the river. What is a good reliable hand held VHF radio? Does anyone have one they really like? I don't know anything about them and I'm open to any info you can share. Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am happy with the Uniden Atlantis I just purchased. A few of my friends have them and they are happy with it also. It normally runs about $95.00 to $109.00. I think it has quite a few built in features for that price. Scan capability, 1 or 5 watt output, key lockout,fixed weather channels, and more. Mine came with rechargerable battery, extra bat. pack so you can use AA bat. Fixed holder that you can mount and it allows you to plug in the battery charger. and the bat. charger.

Forgot to say that is works great. A couple of weeks ago I had to use it to call the Coast Guard. I was just outside the Kalama marina and they heard me and I heard them fine. Easy to use also.

[ 08-08-2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Conspiracy Theory ]

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I just got the Atlantis from FMS, I was at the mouth of the Nehalem the other day and tried hailing the Garibaldi coast guard. It did not work. Was I too far or what? I was not happy with it. I am going to try it again, before I return it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooo - That's one for and sounds like one against (possibly). :shrug: I really appreciate the goods and the not so goods. I hope others will respond. Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
Standard Horizon is great quality but you pay a little (lot) more. I made sure to get submersible so that if the time comes that I REALLY need it, I can count on being able to use it.
Got mine on Ebay slightly used and it's great.
Coast Guard will pick up signal due to using huge antennae. Transmitting to other boats will be limited due to small anntenna on the handheld.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use an ICOM handheld and it works really well up here in the sound. Also, if enything ever goes wrong with it their repair offices are right here in Bellevue, Washington.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Icom IC-M1V. It has lith/ion batteries (like the new cell phones)

If you liked the big old cellphones that had dead batteries after 2 calls, then go w/ the cheaper units w/ ni-cad batteries.

Also this unit displays what each channel is for (USCG, barge, pleasure, bridge operator, etc) and it's completely submersible - not water resistant. The sales display I saw had the unit turned-on and under water in an aquarium.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there any ballpark figures for the IComs or Standard Horizons? Could go to ebay and check them out I guess. Your help is appreciated. I'm cutting and pasting for when it's decision time. Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Zaq, I am not insinuating anything here, just asking, did you try it with the power at 5 watts as it defaults to 1 watt? When I called I didn't switch it and they seemed to hear me fine. Maybe on the Columbia the Coast Guard has a bunch of repeater stations.

[ 08-09-2003, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Conspiracy Theory ]

·
Registered
354 Posts
I lost my Atlantis overboard at the mouth of the Nehalem awhile back, up tell then it worked great, just a word of advice they don't float. If found I have the charger maybe we can work something out.
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Personally, I would spend the money and mount one, they work better, and you don't have to worry about keeping it charged, its been my experiance that hand helds fail more than mounted radios

1 - 11 of 11 Posts