IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the CR out of Hammond 8:00 AM to 7 PM. One rod, trolled with the flood tide from B10 to Church Hole, then below Meglar Bridge along Desdemona Sands in 30' of water, then across to sawdust pile and back out to B12 with ebb. Did not get a strike all day. I was marking a tremendous amount of bait and large numbers of fish on the flood. Saw very few fish caught.
Lot's of boats fishing above Meglar Bridge on WA side of sands. I don't know how they were doing. Fished whole and plug cut herring at 8 to 30 pulls, concentrated in water 20-40' deep most of day, also fished Cayote and an Alvin. Did anyone have a good day Sunday?

A friend of mine fished 3 rods below Meglar Bridge most of day. 12 strikes, 1 keeper fish, 5 released. All on herring 19-21 pulls.

I am wondering if the fish were so full of feed that they would not strike. Did anyone note stomach content of fish you cleaned?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
We (4) fished from 8:00-2:30 from Hammond up to the sawdust pile today and ended up with 6 keeper coho and one too small. We ran whole and plugged herring at 15 to 30 pulls. Couple good bites during the day. The ones I cleaned had some small(4") anchovys in their stomach. The fish checker said we did better than most. :cheers:

·
Registered
675 Posts
We fished 6:30 - 12:30 with five rods. Three cut plug two spinner blade trailed with left over cut plug head. Had eight strikes, landed 7 kept 3 solid silvers and one 22lbs urb. Wind and rain came and went throughout the morning.

Most fish came below 20 pulls for us.

that much trolling and not one bite, chnage bait and scent. Use CR water Salt to make them tough and keep scales and add various scents to your pleasure and you'll get more bites.

Fishing is not what it was the last month but still good.

Tight Lines.

Might be looking for someone to fill seats Tuesday for expenses. I am not a guide but have a great boat and fish everyday when not working to pay for my salmon which costs about $ 10k per pound!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
We fished Friday and found a decent bite. We bought a couple dozen fresh herring and caught 2 silvers before 8 am in front of Warrenton. Found a bait ball and jigged anchovies and used them for the balance of our limits. Anchovies were everywhere. I'd say that is the goto bait right now.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
We fished from 7 to 5 sunday and caught 5 kept 4 and had 3 other visits that did not stick. Very slow day. Understand Saturday was the same deal too.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Just got back into town. We fished Hammond area and got the following thurs 8fish for 20 takedowns, had a seal take a urb at the boat. Fri, took Smily and his daughter and went 7 keepers for 10,released 2 natives. saturday went 2 for 2. Definately slowed. We also had several drive buys thursday. The crabbing also got better each day, not real full though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you rig up to jig for anchovies,and what sort of tactics do you use? I have never done this. And, can I count these as fish caught when my wife asks "how many"?

·
Premium Member
22,175 Posts
Definitely call them "caught," but turn loose any anchovy with an adipose fin.

Had about the same luck Saturday, including observations...three fish, two keepers...nice coho, though.

I figured I was trolling too shallow...12-20. Were you all using delta divers? I used small pink ladies and the small Les Davis. Maybe get out the big guns and go deeper Saturday...

FYI, this is probably the last weekend without gill nets. Seasons will be set Friday, I b'lieve...

Although I recall years out there in September when I caught a limit of coho between two netters' boats...

·
Registered
6 Posts
was out saturday,four rods out,fished the sawdust pile in am and east of the bridge on the washington side after 11:30 am.had a total of 6 silvers and one shinook in the boat,lost two and had 3 takedowns.all the hookups where on herring.nothing on spinners!! other than the wind and waves! it was a good day for my first trip out there

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill, I was using both a Delta Diver at various depths, and the traditional dropper on various lengths from 3' to 18". My GPS tells me I covered 43 miles Sunday, with most of that trolling. I was surprised to see that number, but then again it was a twelve hour day and I fished with the tides in each direction. I did not get a bump all day. Most of my time was in water 20-30' deep along the edges of Desdemona Sands on both sides. I did not fish above Meglar Bridge. Fished plug cut purple label herring, fresh herring, a Cayote spoon, and even later on a big jointed Rapala. Wore the surgical gloves, did my chants, the whole deal. Next time.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
PP, that's all that I can attribute it to. Yet, the river is still packed with anchovies right now. Maybe they are just plain stuffed.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Don't forget to take your jigging rigs. We jigged a couple of dozen anchovies in about 10 minutes Friday with one rod.

Of the 6 fish we took, only one had anchovies in his gut and he had 3 of em. Not exactly stuffed. The others stomachs were empty.

I don't think it is just coincidental that the bite fell off Saturday and Sunday with the barometer drop. I'm looking forward to other reports later this week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts