IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
I wish I had a pic to show as it would speak for itself. The ramp is 4 lanes and 5$ fee to launch. The line in the morning at times goes for about 1/2 mile. Things move pretty well though just don't be the guy thats not ready to launch.

· Registered
384 Posts
:bigshock:We were there yesterday. Not bad at all except for someone who "decided" to load up and screwed up 2 lines. He'd docked his boat in one line, then proceeded to back up his trailer into a different line and had to get out of his rig, walk down to his boat, start it up, get it over to the line his trailer was in and proceed with his loading.

Basically, he messed up the rhythm of 2 lines for ten minutes.:frown::rolleyes::argue:

I guess just chalk it up to new boat owner (his son said it was only their 4th time out with it). A bit of planning would have made feelings less nasty toward him.

· Registered
336 Posts
:bigshock:We were there yesterday. Not bad at all except for someone who "decided" to load up and screwed up 2 lines. He'd docked his boat in one line, then proceeded to back up his trailer into a different line and had to get out of his rig, walk down to his boat, start it up, get it over to the line his trailer was in and proceed with his loading.

Basically, he messed up the rhythm of 2 lines for ten minutes.:frown::rolleyes::argue:

I guess just chalk it up to new boat owner (his son said it was only their 4th time out with it). A bit of planning would have made feelings less nasty toward him.
it seems you still have a case of ramp rage over this..

try a martini

· Registered
3,525 Posts

:hoboy::hoboy::hoboy: Sounds to me like a classic case of the guy with absolutely no patience picking on the poor rookie who is just trying to get his kid into some fish, A whole 10 minutes huh!!!
Everyone has to start somewhere, I think in those situations maybe a few words of encouragement to the gentleman about how he could maybe do things a little different to help keep things flowing is a better option, and you never know you might just gain a friend out of the deal:cheers:

Just my :twocents:s since ive been in his shoes before and it did not feel very good with all those angry eyes burning holes in me.

MD

· Registered
336 Posts
:cheers:
:hoboy::hoboy::hoboy: Sounds to me like a classic case of the guy with absolutely no patience picking on the poor rookie who is just trying to get his kid into some fish, A whole 10 minutes huh!!!
Everyone has to start somewhere, I think in those situations maybe a few words of encouragement to the gentleman about how he could maybe do things a little different to help keep things flowing is a better option, and you never know you might just gain a friend out of the deal:cheers:

Just my :twocents:s since ive been in his shoes before and it did not feel very good with all those angry eyes burning holes in me.

MD
:cheers: my sentiments excactly. we have all been there.

· Registered
166 Posts
I took a friend for a boat ride Thursday evening. We put in as Sauvie Island and had a nice cruise all over. Came back and enjoyed a cool one at the transient dock and enjoyed the sunset. Coming in, we saw 3 guys in a ski boat getting ready to pull out. They moved the boat up (from the end of the ramp) when they saw we needed to get out.

For about the next 40 minutes, this guy tried backing down his (manual) truck to get the trailer to the water. I did not know it was possible to get a trailer parallel with the waters edge on a boat ramp! After it was clear things were not getting any better, and darkness was making it even harder, we lifted the trailer up as it was going down and "put it where it needed to be". One of the guys apologized, but I said don't worry - you are at a remote ramp, late at night, and that is in your favor! Plus it was a show to watch.... Being nice and offering to help is the only way.....

· Registered
336 Posts
I took a friend for a boat ride Thursday evening. We put in as Sauvie Island and had a nice cruise all over. Came back and enjoyed a cool one at the transient dock and enjoyed the sunset. Coming in, we saw 3 guys in a ski boat getting ready to pull out. They moved the boat up (from the end of the ramp) when they saw we needed to get out.

For about the next 40 minutes, this guy tried backing down his (manual) truck to get the trailer to the water. I did not know it was possible to get a trailer parallel with the waters edge on a boat ramp! After it was clear things were not getting any better, and darkness was making it even harder, we lifted the trailer up as it was going down and "put it where it needed to be". One of the guys apologized, but I said don't worry - you are at a remote ramp, late at night, and that is in your favor! Plus it was a show to watch.... Being nice and offering to help is the only way.....
good on you ... I will agree in the moment it seems like an eternity. but realy it is a small fraction of time.

· Banned
19,821 Posts

MD

Hammond is by far the most screwed boat ramp I have had the displeasure of using.
Chaos in motion is good description on any busy Bouy 10 weekend, there are alternatives, Chinook, Illwaco, Youngs Bay and East Morrage are all better than Hammond, when Bouy 10 is cranking.

· Registered
4,999 Posts
Granted we have all 'been there', but is this the venue to figure things out? Maybe Cullaby Lake! Kinda like driving you have a responsability to consider everyone else.:shrug:

· Registered
7,379 Posts
Instead of grumbling, fuming and getting mad- I get out and cheerfully offer to help. I often times launch my 20 foot Intruder by myself. Although I have a good system down, it wouldn't bother me a bit if someone offered up a hand while doing it.

--spud--:)

· Registered
245 Posts
Granted we have all 'been there', but is this the venue to figure things out? Maybe Cullaby Lake! Kinda like driving you have a responsability to consider everyone else.:shrug:
I agree...taking the rookie show to hammond on a weekend shows a certain lack of consideration. I owned my boat for two years before braving that insanity. If you're new there are alternate ramps in the area that provide stress free access for newbies. They just have to run a little further.

That being said...no one ever said the high road is toll free.

· Registered
336 Posts
DEANRT
I AGREE A LITTLE "TEST LAUNCHING" AT A LESS CROWDED PLACE GOES A LONG WAY. BUT I HAVE EVEN SEEN WELL KNOWN GUIDES HAVE MIHAPS ON THE RAMP AT HAMMOND. WE ALL SEEM TO BE OK WITH THEM THOUGH

· Registered
2,070 Posts
Launching a boat is rocket science.......:wave:

It does amaze me that people pick hammond in late August to launch there boat for the first time all year or ever.....It's kind of like wipeing before you poop...It don't make no sense.....:pp

· Registered
1,990 Posts
get there and prep your boat/gear if there's a long line...and if there's a long line....be patient (everyone that includes me)

then enjoy a good time on the big water...having experienced/helpful friends and being helpful to others usually brings good karma:smirk:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.