IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newport Update Halibut 1st weekend. Opened Thurs. May 8 , May 9th Fri., and Sat May 10th. Weather was good and calmer thru Fri eve. as the sweel diminished and hardly a light wind offshore on the "Ranch". Very blue water all the way to the beach which could mean the ocean hasn't "turned over" yet as NW prevailing winds are behind schedule somewhat. Sat NW swell 5 ft but somewhat breezy up to 15 knts, kinda sloppy at times. If the swell would have been there the Sat. conditions could have been tougher! We caught limits each day, and the first day I got a 45 incher in 25 seconds! Our fish were 40, 41, 45, 46, 48 inches. Nice fish. Fri.I got the BIG one at 51 inches and our fish were a bit smaller, on Sat. fishing was tougher and bites hard to come by!! We got our fish 45 being the biggest and 3 were under 40 inches by a bit. We did get lings each day and tried salmon trolling and didn't do much there one day. All in all a great weekend of weather and fishun fun!!! Hope these big tides and runoffs don't pose a problem this next weekend Thurs., Fr., Sat. too. Watch the bar as the ingredients are there for some tough conditions if there is swell and not to mention wind. Keep your eye on things this coming weekend! Good luck! Chilly one........ :cheers:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am new to the board and this is my fist post.
I was interested in the halibut fishing. Where
did you go and how far out. I just bought a new
boat and would love to go after halibut, but not
sure if it is big enough. I have the 18' Hewse
Craft sportsman with an 80 yamaha. Furuno GP 1650
ploter/fish finder with gps. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
uboatcdr,

First things first, you owe us a story since this is your first post. (ifish tradition)

Secondly, you might post your question on the 'Salty Dogs' portion of the board. They are intimately familiar with all things ocean related and will give you a staight answer. First question that comes to mind is to you have redundant systems (2 motors, 2 bilge pumps, 2 batteries,...) in case of the unexpected. Most of those guys were at the Chicken Ranch, 30+ miles from shore. Next I would ask what your experience is on the big blue? The size of your boat is only 1 factor, and a calm, flat day will almost eliminate that factor. (May is usually the worst weather for Halibut)

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
We went out on the opener as well. Oceans seemed pretty good and got better as the day went on. We hit the ranch and I was tagged out within two minutes of hitting the bottom. We put 7 fish in the box and was back on the beach by noon. I'll be taking my own boat out this weekend if the conditions allow :cheers:

·
Registered
531 Posts
What kind of story would you like? I could tell
you the story of my last halibut fishing trip out
of Neabay. Long story short, flat as a mirror
when we left going to swiftsure, was given the
wrong compas heading by a fellow fisherman. Ended up in Canadian waters, but that was not so bad had
Canadian fishing licsens. But then the freak storm
hit. All boats had about 30 min notice. I picked
up and started running in. The sea and sky turned black. The third 10' wave that broke over the bow
took my top and broke the wind shield. My wife and daughter stayed in the cabin. Lost all my electronics. Only thing still running was the outboard. Found the last charter boat going in
and they called the coasties. 30 footer could not
get to us had to get a 90 out of PA. Heard six
people died that weekend. $6000 damage to the boat, wife would not step foot in it again. That
was 12 years ago. I hope this is good enough

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
What size boat were you out in?

We were out in our 21' and it was pretty darn rough on us. Our guess was that the swell was 7-8 feet, and the seas were 3 or 4 feet on top of that. Made for a pretty bouncy trip in and out, and near impossible for us to drift slowly once we got our gear in the water. We were out early on both Friday and Saturday.

We were out 34 fathoms from the lighthouse north of Newport.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
We fished out of Ilwaco on Sunday for halibut :dance: :dance: We caught 11 fish for the day, 7 keepers.My fish was 3 in short :shrug:
2 out of 4 of us got fish, 20 lbs each :dance: :cheers: . We picked up some good black bass and black cod. Fire up the smoker :dance: Great day on the water. :dance: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
uboatcdr.....

The old addage "There's an old boater, and a bold boater, but not an old, bold boater" comes to mind! Or something like that....

Good luck.... sounds like you may need all the luck you can get! I won't expect an invite, and I won't accept one.....

I think I'll stick with the possible opportunity of goin' out with a Salty Dog..... My take is, you ain't one of 'em.....

Tim :hoboy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts