IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple of hours to wet a line yesterday - got one nice stocker bankfishing in 2.5 hours fishing. So, a bit slow. Crowds seemed down. Chartreuse on about 18" leader. I used an extra floating device - like a really, really, really small corkie to help float the bait. Seems like with warmer water, powerbait does not seem to float as well and that is the key to stay above the weeds.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Fished Hagg Thursday with my 14 year old. We tried out our new camo duck boat. Picked up over 40 fish in 4 hours fishing the southern inlet from boat ramp C dragging night crawlers through the weeds. Most were warm water species but 5 were stocker trout. Biggest was a 1.5 lb Largemouth that took my son nearly 3 minutes to land.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My experience with Haag Lake is trolling, not bank fishing. But I would say that if you are in water you feel to be warm and you are fishing in shallow water with weeds- you aren't likely to catch many trout. When trolling in 70 degree water like Haag usually is this time of year, the fish are always seen at 30-50 feet deep on the fishfinder. This why people using lake trolls on top don't catch any fish at Haag during the hot summer. Trout do not like warm water! So if I had to fish from the bank (heaven forbid!) I would find a deeper bank to fish from- like on either end of the dam.

Lake trolls, cowbells, fenders, and other car parts NOT ALLOWED on my boat!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Before buying the boat, I always banked Hagg Lake just across the dam as trollin4trout suggested. It's a fast drop off along the central part of the little bay (where the dirt slide is) or you can sit on the rocks. I always used a small treble hook, power bait and a small colored marshmallow. Striking up conversations with some of the old timers taught me a little bit about the techniques. One I started to use is as follows: Put a sliding weight and bead onto your main line and then tie a snap swivel on to your main line. Tie a separate length of leader (18 - 24 inches) with a loop. Slide a marshmallow on to a crochet hook, hook the loop with the crochet hook, and slide the marshmallow down above your power bait. Put this looped leader onto the snap swivel and you're ready to go. You can have 1 - 2 extra baits ready to go when the fish start biting. Just undo the sanap swivel, snap in your backup baited leader and cast out again. Watch what some of the others are doing. I've seen some of them use 3 - 4 foot leaders if the fish are up off the bottom. If I went to an early morning bobber, I added a kernel of corn and worm to keep the hook from floating back up to the bobber. Watch what the others are doing and who's having success. Restroom are right there too but don't use the restroom and leave your rod in the water. I've seen a number of people get ticketed for that one. :smile:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
***...in two years of being on ifish...that post contains the most personal information that you have ever shared. :shocked: :wink:

Are you coming out of your shell or was it just a lapse in judgement? :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The wife and I fished Hagg on Sunday. We trolled red wedding rings tipped with night crawler behind a ford fender with 2 ounces of weight. Hit 8 trout and a few small perch. Lost a few more trout at the boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts