IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a report a lady lost her Labrador after spending time swimming in the lake. Don't know how to confirm this but if you know who to ask, please do and report.

I was going to go up there today and get pup in the water but will let it pass for the time being.

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
Hagg Lake posted a warning on their FB page and there are signs posted at the lake

·
Registered
38,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Always nice when things can be confirmed quickly enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I don't recall Hagg having this killer algae warning before....but I don't frequent Hagg often either.
Is this a regular occurrence?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was there yesterday afternoon and don't remember seeing any warning signs for algae, I launched out of eagle point. But the water did look like that "Pea" color, but I figured the reason was because the water has receded so much that it was the cause. Glad we didn't take the dogs with us yesterday.

·
Registered
16,459 Posts
Good to warn people of the potential, but I don't think there has been any confirmation.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I lived up above boat launch C for years and never heard of an Algae warning. But as dry as it is I imagine they are pulling the water level down fast. Take your dogs up to where the Creeks run into the lake. Should be fine there. That’s what we did. :) 🇺🇸

·
Registered
38,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First time I've been aware of it and I've been taking dogs up there for lots of years. I was up there a few days ago and the water was not as clear as it usually is in the summer. Obvious something was different.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Took my lab swimming/retrieving Friday night at Hagg. No issues.

I have heard of this at Detroit Lake. Not at Hagg.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just read some social media reports of splash and giggle types with vomiting and diarrhea problems up to three days after swimming at the lake. (Hagg Lake Facebook page)
The Hagg Lake Triathlon is July 17th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Woopie.. Good news for the (my) dog. Thanks for passing it on. Didn’t sound right from the beginning.

·
Registered
16,459 Posts
I had a suspicion the person was overreacting, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Dogs (and people) can die from ingesting too much water. That may have happened unintentionally in this case if the dog was swimming for an extended period of time with a ball or stick keeping its mouth open.

Very sad situation, regardless of the cause.

And do be mindful of algae. There have been blooms in Hagg Lake and there will be more in the future. There is an extensive monitoring plan in place with professionals looking and testing multiple times per week, but if you see something, say something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was talking about this with another person a few days ago and they said it kills dogs on Sauvie Island during the hatchery pheasant season they have in September. I always worried about it but hadn’t heard it actually happened till we talked about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts