IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
14,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own about 8 different types of hackle pliers and have not yet found any that will hold hackles firmly, yet not cut them. What kind do you guys use?

Thanks,

CrF

· Registered
13,724 Posts
Re: Hackle Pliers

I got some with little rubber jaws and they work great. rp

· Registered
2,552 Posts

Mine are fairly ceepo's but I put a small piece of shrink tubing on the ends and they work good.

Bob

· Registered
389 Posts

I forgot what it is called but, I use these little clips that work like a bobber. They have the same sort of hook on them. I think electricians use them. They work better than anything I have found. I also use them to hold onto those tiny flies while I tie them on.

· Registered
13,724 Posts

Hey Bob good tip on the shrink tub that would have saved me 15 bucks ohh well. rp

· Registered
3,804 Posts

It's all in the touch you use and the quality of the materials. If you are tying very small flies with very light,small hackles, the weight of the pliers alone may be enough to break them. A very light touch is best, and don't let the pliers rest hanging off the fly with the hackle holding the weight of the pliers.

Depending upon the design of the pliers, you may want to disconnect the two sides and bend them for a more custom grip than the manufacturer provided.

happybrew

happybrew

· Registered
8,023 Posts

What busyfishing is describing can be obtained at Radio Shack. They actually work great and come in different sizes. I don't know what they are called but they are used for holding small wires. I use them often for hackle pliers, especially in small sizes

· Registered
378 Posts

Hey Chrome... I need a pair of hackle pliers and would take any faulty model off your hands that you deem expendable. Just learning so I am up for some additional frustration...
:grin:

· Registered
14,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I've got a couple extra I can send you. They're not bad - just not great. If you PM me your addy, I'll drop 'em in the mail.

Anyon have any pics of these Radio Shack things?

Thanks,

CrF

· Registered
389 Posts

Chromaflage, go to the Radio Shack website and search "mini clips" what I use looks similar to the firt result but are sold seperately. You push from the bottom and his has a hook at the top much like a bobber. Hope that helps.

· Scallywag
3,215 Posts

I use these clips in the electrical test and repair biz. (We call them test lead adaptors). Search "electrical test equipment, test leads, hand tools, multi-meter accessories" and you'll find catologs with dozens of them!
Truly a great cross-use for this item (and an entreprenuer/marketing opportunity) :idea:

Sincerely,

Bear-Huke Inventor/Owner/Bad marketer
:grin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.