IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks, Jennie/IFISH for enabling me to hook up with another IFISH member for a great day of trout fishing at Haag Lake. Mike (prospect1999) joined me 7:00am Sat. morning at the ramp and
had the patience to stick to it all day 'till we quit at 8:00pm. We caught fish immediately 40ft. down with the downriggers and a Needlefish. By the end of the day we had landed 53 trout- 11-14inches(all but 4 released) and I caught a 20 inch smallmouth(released) right next to the dam.
Thanks for being a fishing bud for the day Mike! Had a great time!

I don't have a scale- could anybody guess the weight of this fish?

http://home.comcast.net/~jnbradley3/20inch.jpg

[ 08-11-2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: trollin4trout ]

·
Registered
91 Posts
I want to say thanks to Jennie/ifish also.

Jim, it was very nice meeting you, and thanks for a great day of fishing and having me on your boat. :cheers:
I’ve never caught so many fish in one day. Downriggers and Needlefish rule! :dance:
I’m a little bit jealous of that bass though. That's the nicest one I have ever seen. And boy did it put up a fight. I sure wish one of us had a scale so that we could have weighed it. :depressed:

Mike

PS. could someone please stop the room from rocking? I think I’m getting sea sick. :sick:
:laugh:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I caught a 21" smallmouth on Wednesday that was exactly 5lb. I bet that fought slightly harder then those trout! I sure didn't think that the trout were still biting that good :shocked: NICE FISH!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Good job guys!!! how do you rig when using a needlefish??? do you run it behind a laketroll?
what color needlefish. i usually have it my way at haag, but this year has not been that great for me.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grits PM'd me with a couple questions about Haag, so I figured that the IFISH thing to do is post so all can see.

Refer to the two images below: Needlefish and Excels

http://home.comcast.net/~jnbradley3/needle1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jnbradley3/excel1.jpg

"I wondered if you might also share what "pattern" of needle fish
you use and what if anything you put above them for flashers. "

I NEVER use a flasher with any of the lures I use. Only with bait or flies-then only sometimes in desperation, a 4 inch dodger.
It's not always the same, but I usaully start with the trout pattern ( also known to my boat as the "Devil's Lake Special"- never
go there without it!))- the two on the left. (notice the small one is battered by teeth marks!) Not to say the small one is best, I
may just have had it longer without losing it. The orange one on the right is also chewed up from 3 days of 100 trout per day at
Detroit Lake the year of the low water. I don't have any feeling one way or the other about the two sizes- I have equal
confidence in both of them.

The six needlefish patterns shown are my best fish catchers- I have most of the other colors they make but, I don't have
multiple back-ups of any of them like I do these patterns.

Take a look at the Excel pic. The one in the middle of the 3 on the left(silver/red head) has for about 3 yrs. now been the most
awesome trout trolling spoon ever! The 3 Excels on the left are the best of the Excels. The silver/red head-I have 15-20 of,
likewise the brass/red head. The green pattern- have at least 10. Since I had to special order, I didn't want to be without the
best ones. They used to be available at WalMart, but they discontinued them. They can be special ordered from the Wood
Village store- I have the SKU numbers to order them if anyone wants some. About $2.29. The two lures on the right are new
this year by "Blue Fox" and look very similiar, although a bit heavier- haven't used them enough to give them a high mark, but
they look they will do as well as the Excels. The two on the bottom of the needlefish pic are "Excel's" also and are still available
at this time from Wally's. Don't hesitate to pick some up-they are good also.

"I have always been told to have my gear 100 feet from the ball"

For basically stupid planter trout, you can fish 10ft. from the ball. They don't care. It may be more important for bigger
(therefore by definition smarter fish). I generally just cast my lure with no other weight as far as it will go(maybe 20-30ft)
behind the boat and hook it to the release.

If I see fish on the fishfinder and know I'm going through them, I wait no more than 10 minutes before I switch to another
pattern lure. I keep changing until I find the one they really like. Sometimes they are VERY picky about the color. Other
times, everything you put out will catch a fish. If I don't see fish I will generally stick to one of the best 6 Needlefish or 3 best
Excels for maybe 20 minutes or more. I know the lures will work if I can find the fish.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Great post, one of the best informational reports I have seen in a long time. Thanks for the info. Like I said in my message, I will be there August 9th for a company bbq but everyone is bringing boats and either skiing or fishing. If you are going to be around the lake that day let me know and I will watch for you on the water.

Is that smaller rainbow trout the 1 1/2"?

[ 07-21-2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Grits ]

·
Registered
91 Posts
h2Odog,
It was the first time for me using a needlefish and a downrigger. It was Jim’s boat and he is the one that knows more about this than I do. But my needlefish was chartreuse and white. Also used one that was kind of the color of a rainbow trout.
Nothing on the line but the needlefish. That is until the trout bites. :laugh:
I think most any lure would have worked, but the secret is the downrigger to take your lure deep.
We were fishing between 35 and 40 feet where the water would be much cooler. The water temp at the serface was really warm. 72 when we got there and got up to 75 and more in some spots.

Oh I see Jim already posted before me :laugh:
I guess im just slow.

Mike

[ 07-21-2003, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: prospect1999 ]

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
great info guys, thanks alot. now i think thursday i'm gonna bring the boat to work and bounce a little early and fish till the sherrif boat kicks me off the lake (as usual).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts