IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was back at the old Haag again this morning. Last week when Prospect1999 and I were there we had almost no competition-sometimes a couple boats-mostly just us. This week after bragging it up here- there were 12 boats all at the dam at once! No decals but me :depressed: Are there that many lurkers out there? :smile: Anyway, I caught 31 by the end of the day,(all released) after going from 1:00pm- 6:30pm without one fish. Middays around there really suck! Must've lost at least another 20. Looked like everyone was catching fish- mostly with lake trolls. Not me!
Maybe I should brag quieter...............sssshhhhhhh

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Jim, Sorry I could not go with you this time around, :depressed: and sorry to hear about all the competition this time. It must be that everyone wanted a try at that Bass you caught last week. :laugh: I'm never going to forget that fish.
Maybe it was just one of them days everyone wanted to fish?
Still it sounds like you caught a good number of them trout. :smile:
Mike .

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Good for you for letting the fish go. There's not enough catch and release trout guys out there. That's something definitely worth bragging about.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mind the competition, sharing the great fishing is always fun. What I do mind is the
complete decimation of the fish we are there to catch. You can blah, blah, blah all day about
how it's just great to be outdoors and enjoy the sunshine, get out of the house, etc. But when
it comes right down to it- NONE of us would be there if there weren't ANY FISH! Given that there
were at least 12 boats that day all catching fish from what I saw(and killing them), that has to
mean there is likely 50-150 less fish in the lake when the day is done. :depressed: Thanks a lot-NOT.

I've heard all the excuses:

I have a family to feed....
If I don't keep'em, someone else will
We used to be able to keep 10- this sucks
Want to be able to say- Got my limit!
They put them here for me to take- why not?
I paid for them- nobodys gonna tell me I can't have my share.....
Nobodys watching, so why quit at 5?
I dropped off the ones I got this morning and almost have my limit again
Whadda you care?
It's none of your business

And always the guys who ask, "any size to 'em? ( with noses in the air when you say 10-12 inches)

I could GO OFF with what I really think about ALL these so called fishermen, but to keep it
somewhat polite in the IFISH way- that's NOT a good way to solicit new fishing techniques and locations
from those who have high respect for the sport of fishing and the joy it brings every weekend.
If you expect info to be shared, you're gonna have to show -never mind -I'm starting to go off.........

·
Administrator
119,608 Posts
Yikes... Are you having a bad day? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by trollin4trout:
I don't mind the competition, sharing the great fishing is always fun. What I do mind is the
complete decimation of the fish we are there to catch. You can blah, blah, blah all day about
how it's just great to be outdoors and enjoy the sunshine, get out of the house, etc. But when
it comes right down to it- NONE of us would be there if there weren't ANY FISH! Given that there
were at least 12 boats that day all catching fish from what I saw(and killing them), that has to
mean there is likely 50-150 less fish in the lake when the day is done. :depressed: Thanks a lot-NOT.

I've heard all the excuses:

I have a family to feed....
If I don't keep'em, someone else will
We used to be able to keep 10- this sucks
Want to be able to say- Got my limit!
They put them here for me to take- why not?
I paid for them- nobodys gonna tell me I can't have my share.....
Nobodys watching, so why quit at 5?
I dropped off the ones I got this morning and almost have my limit again
Whadda you care?
It's none of your business

And always the guys who ask, "any size to 'em? ( with noses in the air when you say 10-12 inches)

I could GO OFF with what I really think about ALL these so called fishermen, but to keep it
somewhat polite in the IFISH way- that's NOT a good way to solicit new fishing techniques and locations
from those who have high respect for the sport of fishing and the joy it brings every weekend.
If you expect info to be shared, you're gonna have to show -never mind -I'm starting to go off.........
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What exactly is wrong with keeping some fish? What if I do really like trout? I mean, when I go fishing, if I catch a fish, most of the time, I'm going to keep it. I eat it, and I enjoy it. Plus, I've looked at ODFW's stocking chart, and Hagg gets a pretty heavy load of fish every week or two... :shrug:
You seem to be a very successful fisherman, and I'd like to hook up with you on Hagg sometime. It seems like you catch 30, 50, 100 fish every time you go out. If there are people on the lake keeping fish, there's a chance you might catch less. But catching 30 trout in a day, and losing 20 more, that's a darn good day. Is it a bad day because you didn't get 50 to the boat because in the previous week a couple hundred trout were kept? I'd like to go fishing with you sometime, so you can show me the art of trolling, but would you look down upon me if I said I wanted to keep 1 or 2, or maybe even 5 trout?

[ 07-28-2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: sparkleboy ]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Somehow, I don't think your posting about Hagg Lake on ifish is going to make a difference on the number of people fishing the lake. When I moved to the Portland area in 1988 I was told the first place to go was Hagg Lake.
Boat launch, nice park area, lots of fish stocked by the state, it's just a well known great spot.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I don't think there are native trout in Hagg Lake. They are all stocked.

How does the Dorito commercial?

Go ahead, eat them all, we'll make more!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts