IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone enlighten me a bit. My recollection is that you are not allowed to gut and clean a salmon on the Columbia River. Is this an actual regulation? ... or am I dreaming about fishing too much? If it is frowned upon... why? It makes sense that bleeding and gutting a fish while it is as fresh as possible would perserve the taste... and let you get ice on it ASAP?

Thoughts?

Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
In the General Regs (unlawful acts):

15. Dispose of dead animal (fish) carcasses, or parts thereof, in Oregon waters.

[ 08-29-2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Gobbaworms ]

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
That may be true but I have always cleaned mine in coastal waters and have never had an ODFW or State Trooper question me about it. I'm not telling you it's legal, just that I have always done it and will continue to do it unless told otherwise.

Shoot, someone has to feed the crabs!

Biederboat

·
Registered
803 Posts
? does'nt the fry need such nutrients to survive in the rivers when on their way to the sea. I have heard both ways but What's the diff compared to floating Salmon post spawn lining a river bank. The birds, fish, and beasts of the river all partake. My 2.5cents
Fire :cheers:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Originally posted by Gobbaworms:

15. Dispose of dead animal (fish) carcasses, or parts thereof, in Oregon waters.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Its just the ODFW trying to overrule mother nature. I guess that the salmon 100 years ago must have magically disappeared out of the rivers after they died......... :shrug:

Id say clean the fish on the river until an officer says something to you.......I have never had anyone say a word to me about it.

Just my opinion..... :blush:

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
The way it was explained to me is,yes the reg says no cleaning fish in the river or lake. The real reason is people cleaning their fish at the boat ramp and causing a big stinky mess.

·
Registered
523 Posts
This Spring I got threatened with a fine by a state trooper checking tags on the Wilson when a buddy and I left the remains of a couple steelhead cleanings in the river. He tried to make me feel like a fool for not knowing that reg.

Kevin

·
Registered
428 Posts
Originally posted by Gobbaworms:

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">By carcass, they mean the head, bones, tail, fins, meat - but not the guts. The ODFW even has a conversion factor for weighing dressed fish at the dock, and they have weighed plenty of mine. However, one time my wife talked me into cutting off the heads instead of bringing them home. The ODFW guy was a little upset, and said if he had been a game warden it would be $300/fish. Ouch. I said, "You ain't going to turn me in, are you?" He let it go.

There are also some rules concerning where the guts can be dumped, such as it must be in the same body of water the fish were taken from. It is my understanding that it is technically illegal to dress a CR salmon in the Skippanon channel going to Warrenton, but a lot of folks do it.

That is what I believe to be true. A question such as this is best asked through email or other written mail to ODFW directly. Their printed reply might help if that one OSP yahoo is having a bad day (that's as close as we're allowed to get to politics on here!).

I hope you get some salmon to dress every time you try!!

Mike

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Wherever you clean the fish, make sure the leavings go into deep water or are otherwise properly disposed of. Salmon blood can be lethal to dogs.

I am just finishing up a course of tetracycline on Nicky. He was licking my hands when I went into the boat cabin and I must have had a little salmon blood somewhere on them. Within three days he was off his food and just laying around. Luckily, I knew what to watch for and had tetracycline on hand for just such an occasion.

Be responsible when cleaning fish. Don't leave blood and fish parts where people's dogs can get to them. Thanks.

[ 08-29-2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
13,994 Posts
Do not clean fish at boat ramps. This is what the law is about. I have never heard of an officer talking to anyone about this( away from a boat ramp).

Hope Nicky is alright. :sick:

Jake went thru it this winter. I learned what to look for. Which is good, because the dog still aint got no fear of salmon.

Mark and the rather expensive but still cute for his size dog.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Maybe this is a law that needs to be made a little more specific. The funniest thing about all this is the ODFW takes helicopters over rivers and creeks to dump post spawned fish on the banks and in shallow water since they now realize the benefit of the nutrients going back into the ecosystem and actually helping the smolt when they emerge.
If an OSP officer gives you any grief let him in on the info and if you don't believe me go back to kgw channel 8 archives and look up a similar story done about a year ago.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
crabbait,
thanks for the info on the dogs and salmon blood. I did not know that. Chalk up one more for Ifish. I'm not a dog owner now, but will be soon.

So, is it just Salmon blood, or are other types of fish blood dangerous as well ? What is about the blood which is bad for them ? :whazzup:

I'm glad you said something, because I honestly wouldn't have known. :grin:

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's just good manners to not clean your fish at boat ramps or in small boat basins. The guys that clean their fish in the Ilwaco boat basin are breaking the rules posted by the port, but the real stink, comes about two weeks after Labor day when we get our hot days and low water in mid September. The whole boat basin smells like one of the dumpsters at the Hammond or John Day ramps,,,,,,,,,,Yuck :hoboy:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Wootersen --- Search "salmon poisoning" and you will be an expert.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I stopped by the bowling alley hole about 4 years ago on the Clackamas river during the peak of the coho coming in, there were literally 100 people fishing this stretch and fish being caught everywhere it was combat fishing at its best. While I was watching all the mayhem a state police officer came down and hid in the bushes and then started writing citations for people who were cleaning their fish on the bank along with many other citations. I was shocked that they were giving tickets for people cleaning fish which is something I had always done before. Now I wait and clean my fish at home, it may be messier but I dont want to get a ticket on a police officers whim, some will write a ticket some wont but Im not going to give them a reason to give me a shakedown!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
This topic was thoroughly discussed here a few months ago. The reason the law exists is because there are always those who don't think...who are either oblivious or don't care.

I've never heard of anyone being written up for cleaning fish away from boatramps, picnic & swimming areas, popular fishing holes where people congregate, etc. and if the guts are tossed into deep water. But if someone cleans his fish and leaves blood & guts on the bank or in shallow water in a location that will create a problem for others, a citation is in order. :wink:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Flatfish and Gutshotape,
We were under a bridge, nowhere near anyone else or a boatramp when we got checked and threatened. The guts were nowhere near shore. This officer truly believed tossing skeins, sperm sacs, and other guts was illegal, although he didn't write us up. I countered with the volunteers and other agencies throwing carcasses in the upper river for nutrients but his position was "I don't write the law."

crabbait,
My dog got pretty sick once from eating part of a trout or salmon he got hold of, I didn't know it was the blood. The vet said the perp is a parasite that resides in these fish.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts