IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to iFish (less than a week, thus my "Fry" status), so I don't know if this subject has been discussed much. I have been out fishing about 20 times this year, each time launching at Chinook Landing. There have been several times that I have observed guides coming in to crowded docks with their boats full of clients. The couple of guides who really stood out were those who were being impatient and who were getting frustrated. These guys were actually yelling at their clients, trying to get them to help dock the boats - it was obvious the cleints hadn't a clue what to do. Literally these guys were throwing tantrums and bellowing various explatives loud enough to be heard on the Sandy. Nice PR work for these guys. These are the guys that need to be setting the example - not contributing to an already tense situation. Anyone else witness this?

OregonRedside

·
Registered
235 Posts
"Guides are like a box of chocolate," my momma used to always say, "you never know what you're gonna get!" Seriously, though, I haven't seen the specific behavior you mention, but I have seen guides be guilty of the worst in poor manners on occaision. For the most part, fishing guides are great guys (and gals) and truly accomplished anglers. But some are just jerks with a boat. That's why you really have to support the good ones.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Who cares :shrug: let them lose clients for being "jerks of the docks" I yell at my idiot cousin every time we dock the boat, but that is my business

·
Registered
348 Posts
Last year my Dad took 4 of his business customers fishing at buoy 10 on a guided trip and that guide only hooked them one fish and when they got back to the dock the coho that the guide quickly placed in the fish box was a 9lb native!!! :hoboy:

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FA - i hear where you're coming from. However, there's an issue of respect for others within ear shot. Further, if I was going to hire a guide for a day, which I have been known to do from time to time (take MY clients out), I will know who NOT to call. Being in a service business, I just found it interesting that they would behave that way where they are likely to make contacts for future trips.

Just some thoughts...
OrRed

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
So how does one find out about the differnt guides and their past behaviors? Do I go through $20K trying each one out or do we post names?

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Ifish isn't meant to be THE GUIDES consumer reports.
I don't like the idea of picking on people on ifish. Mostly because you just can't take everything as fact.

However, if you have a legitimate complaint, you are welcome to post it, if you post your entire name so that that guide may defend himself.

Heck, sometimes someone is mad at someone over who knows? Broken cookies?-- and since he happens to be a guide, they'll get on here and start telling stories that aren't true.
So, even if you read it on ifish, it certainly does not make it true.
Ifish is just people writing. Not always factual, and you can't tell what opinions are based on. Truth, anger?

Or the flip side: Good reports may be written by themselves, with a fake moniker, or by their registered Grandmother! :smile:
We try as hard as we can to monitor things, but sneaky critters slip through, occasionally.

Go with those who friends recommend, or with posts from people you trust, who have nice things to say about someone.

Jen

·
Registered
400 Posts
if you want to see what the guides have to put up with ,sit on the benc at the garibaldi marina and watch the show, at the boat launch
if you think the guides are obnoxiuos watch the general public try to back a trailer in while the guides are trying to get in, that is really funny
get there early,
its free.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
GO Jennie! The waters part when the ROcket Arrives.

CAPT KUJO

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't guide bashing - nor was I picking on anyONE. I just posted my observation - asking if anyone else had observed anything similar. I would never mention specific names in a forum such as this. I have no personal interest in bashing anyone. Being in a service-based business myself - I just thought the whole thing was strange. I understand people have bad days.

BTW - I'm not a sneaky critter either.

OrRed

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I believe that just because they are guides that they are getting a bad rap here. Are you sure they were clients and not just buddies of the guy....... :shrug:

I fish with alot with a couple friends of mine that are guides. Just because they guide for a living doent mean that they dont fish for fun at times. It is a real tough job and a lot of times its like dealing with 4-6 two year olds all day. I really think these working guides deserve a break.

John

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the point is being missed here - I have met a lot of very fine guides. I know they work hard and I know they have to put up with a lot from various sources. I have a lot of respect for what they do. I also realize that they have good days and bad days just like the rest of us. I also know that most of them are our advocates and we owe them many thanks for their invovlement in the politcal processes that preserve our privelage of catching fish (or at least trying to). I apologize if I came accross negatively toward guides in general - not my intent. I just wanted to point out that when a service vehicle (i.e., boat) has a company name on the side of it and the operator behaves in a way that might be considerd unprofessional, it gets noticed and it could be detrimental to future business relationships.

OrRed

[ 09-18-2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: OregonRedside ]

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I respect a lot of guides but some just think they own the river. I fish the Memaloose area in October and there are a couple of guides that park thier boat nose first into the bank right at the launch. The back end facing the dock and barely room to lauch and bach your boat off the trailor w/o ramming into them. They just glare at you as if you are lauching at thier private dock. I pay the $3 fee just the same as they do!

I wont bash anybody on this board as this is thier livelyhood and most guides are very nice and coordial but its just those few....

Jfool

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
OrRed - Jennie was not implying that you were a sneaky critter....just that there are a few and that people need ot be cautious about what they read on the internet.

If you observe crummy behavior from a guide then, by all means, don't hire that guide. I don't think you will see that kind of behavior from the guides who sponsor ifish.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
OrRed,
I have witnessed what you are talking about quite a few times at the boat ramp here in Stayton on the N. Santiam. There is quite a contrast between the good ones and the bad ones. The good ones are courteous to those using the ramp, their clients and the bank fishers.
The bad ones on the other hand, are rude to everyone, even other guides at times, and I have even watched a couple of them jeopardize other's safety with their antics, like high speed approaches waayyy too close to wading fishers.
There is one in particular that I would love to videotape and send a copy to the ODFW and the Marine Licensing Board for the way he handles his boat.
The guy is a "real piece of work".
Jamie

·
Registered
558 Posts
I too have seen poor behavior by Guides! But on the flip side, I have witnessed these professionals be very polite and helpful. I watched Wayne P. at High Rocks tolerate a bunch of extremely drunk clients snap his rods in half while trying to surf chinook into his boat. Watch him put these people onto fish consistently, to have them set the hook so hard the boat almost flips! I have had the Towmann Bros. ask to assist in netting fish for me while I was drifting solo.Both had a boatful of paying clients! They offered assistance knowing full well their clients are paying good money to hook fish themselves! There are good and bad ones in all professions.

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree whole-heartedly!! I also have seen some of them go out of their way, cutting into their own fishing time, to assist fellow anglers. I know most are that way.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
As in every industry, there's the good and the bad.

Just like every other service industry, referral and testimonials are probably about the best things to get.

Any guide worth his salt is happy to rattle off a list of satisfied customers. If you're a decent guide, you probably have a box full of letters thanking you for the tremendous "once in a lifetime" experience that was given. The best ones are the ones that get thanked not just for fish caught, but for the entire day, from dock to dock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts