IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out to B-10 with a guide this Wednesday. A buddy had booked the trip for he and a couple of customers of his. Knowing that I live for fishing and had taken him out serveral times he invited me along. This is where my dilema starts.

On our way down to Astoria, About a 4 1/2 hour trip for us, the guide calls and says he caught limits for all 5 of his guests and was back into the dock by 9:30 am, all the fish are coho. My buddies all excited with the news, I ask him if he is just wanting to catch Coho or would like to try for some kings. We both agree that kings are the fish to target and that coho with kings would be a bonus. We have great fishing 10 minutes from my house right now, problem is they are smaller coho and a few in the teens. Maybe around noon we would start to keep coho unless they where over 10lbs then we sould keep one open for a king. Later that day he talks to the Guide and lets him know we are not in a rush to fill our limits and that we would like to C&R and target the Kings.

That morning I knew somthing was up, over night the kicker develops a problem and can not be used. So we will have to troll with the big motor and it will be tough to go slow enough to target the kings. I didnt book the trip so I didnt feel it was my place to cause a stink, The cutomer recommended the guide to my friend. I repeated that we would like to C&R unless we get into some large coho and then we would still like to save a spot for some larger fish. The guide told me that the bite has been turning on and off so we should get what we can while we can. I said I would go without fish if the bite turned off and the others didnt get their limit, I didnt drive a 9 hour round trip to get some small coho. I was told he had things to do and wasnt going to waste the gas or the time over one fish. He repeated that the bite could shutt off and he wasnt willing to take that chance. I looked at my buddie rolled my eyes and suggested that we " the four paying customers" should make the choice to take a chance on the bite shutting off. Fishing was good from the start, so good we had our limit of 15 fish, 3 of which where his, by 8:45 AM. Hatchery coho at a rate of about 4:1 over the nates.

Before you could say throw it back, the coho was bonked and into the fish box whout out being bled. All fish hatchery or native where netted, boated and then checked. I told him in Washington and I thought Oregon also that native fish are not to be removed from the water, netted or boated. It was a major infraction to do so, he said he didnt care, he was not going to stick his hands down there with those hooks flying around to release the fish. I told him that was a major problem with me, he didnt respond. On my third fish of the morning I caught a Native it was brought into the boat, I told the Guide it had a fin, and it looked like he was going to bonk it, I told him loudly that it was a native, he bonked it anyways. I asked him what he was going to do now, he asked about what? I said check that fish in your net, it is a nat, he checked and sure enough a nice fully intact fin. I told him to me thats two major violations and what are you going to do with the fish now. He said he was going to release it like your suppose to do, which is fine except for killing it first. We get back to the dock about 9:10 and to the fillet station about 9:15. People ther where giving the guide a bad time about being in so early, and with now kings. About 9:45 an older couple arrive with their limit and it included 2 nice little kings. they said they targeted the kings and then went and got their coho.

I was pretty upset about it, and when we left the customers and the guide to head home I asked my buddy if he got his moneys worth from this trip. We did get limits, but that was the only brite spot. We all would have liked to fish longer, would have liked to tried to catch larger fish or at least targeted them. I excpeted this out of a larger charter boat, not a guide boat at twice the price.

I am going to call the guide today and let him know how i feel and that I believe he owes my buddy a 1/2 day on the water. I would go out with him if he paid me.

What can or should I do.
:whazzup:
He seams to be a well respected guide, or at least I have heard good things about him.
He netted all the coho including several natives and bonked one of the nat's. I dont think it was a mistake but I will leave that one alone.

Would like you imput. :bowdown:
Thank you
J.R. Rogers

[ 09-04-2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: JRfishing ]

·
Registered
531 Posts
jrfishing
It sounds like someone better tell this guide that
this is unacceptable practice.
and word spreads very quickly. Sorry you had to put up with it. :depressed:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Personally I think you should tell the guides name to the ifish readers so that they will know who not to book future trips with. Sounds like he didn't care about possible rule violations and the fines that could be given by the OSP. Also, sounds like he didn't care whether you had a good time fishing or got your moneys worth. I'd say you got burned. If it was me, I'd shout his name.
NS

·
Registered
235 Posts
I second the calling the appropriate authorities suggestion. This person should not have a fishing license--let alone be guiding. In my opinion, you have an ethical responsibility to report him.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
violations are violations, and guides of all people should respect them. They set an extremely bad example that way. My guess is he booked another trip after you and took out another group. If you paid for a day of fishin, that's what you should get, but if he told you ahead of time that he's head in once a limit was reached, that another thing. Probably why he was so pressed to bonk a native, a practice that makes me sick, especially when followed with blatant disregard. I'd call ODFW or the state police an report him. You can call him and try for another 1/2 day, but I'd be sour grapes and not want to fish with him let alone see him again anyway.
good luck with it.
GBS

·
Banned
1,580 Posts
That's a tough one. Having been on both sides of the street.
All I can add is that some Guides and Captains
will target whatever species that presents itself with the best chance of limits givin the conditions at hand. A good Guide should listen to his customers wishes, and if they make sense try and adhere to their wishes. If you did not enjoy the trip don't hire ther guy again. Sounds like a pretty good guide to me. He got you into fish and got you home safe.
I do not know how a boat can target a specific species 100% effort to a Chinook or Silver. I guess you could fish with outriggers and cut plugs for Chinooks, or release the Silvers and keep only Chinooks. Don't know if the mortality rate of catching and releasing Silvers justify the effort.
There are plenty of trophy size brite Chinook in the ocean, just look at Westport. If I wanted to target Chinooks I'd go there instead.
Heck, I have been fishing for 30 years on the Columbia, don't think the limit of (3) fish has been a normal deal and with the seasons lasting some 90days plus, don't think there is much to complain about. I do not take to heart what comes out of some some peoples mouth or worry about what's in their fish box. I see those same people day in and day out, I find the more they offer unsolicited comments, the less they know. I'd much rather enjoy the fight of a 15lb Silver to a 30lb Brown river Chinook, better eating to. I know there are plenty of people that would argue that point, it's just my slant on the matter.
I don't look forward to the mid 80's-90's restrictions, they are going to come back some day, maybe sooner than later.
I was always happy to be the first guy back to the dock with limits of nice big Silvers, if we had a Chinook or two thats great also. I never heard anyone complain that they did not get a Chinook. last year when we had the Chinook only season we caught plenty, only remember limits on two or three trips though, most of the time we were lucky to get 5 or more fish.

If the guide did not make an effort to take the Natives out of the net to a water release, maybe he needs a deckhand or glasses or both.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Yes give up his name. I would hate to be recommending guides to people that I know if they break the law and treat customers poorly.

EK

·
Administrator
41,373 Posts
Please remember the Ifish complaint policy .... complaints about a service or product must be signed with your full name.

If you need a refresher on the policy, you can read it and the discussion at THIS POST.

If the complaint remains unsigned the post will be removed and the complainer may lose their posting privileges.

[ 09-04-2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to give the guide the benifit of the doubt on the bonking of the nat and chalk it up to a mistake. But netting any fish regardless of fin or no fin really cheesed me off. I'm an avid but amature fishermen, a pro or paid fisherman should have no problems with an in the water release. Does Oregon allow for the fish to be remove from the water to be released, if so I hope they change their rule soon.

[ 09-04-2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Please report his violations to the appropriate agencies. You can also contact the State Marine Board in Salem to file a complaint about his actions. Guides and all anglers need to be held accountable for their actions. I feel we guides should try to "set the example" for the rest. Unfortunatly, not all do so. But it is the way I treat my guide business.

Also, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this person. Please don't judge all guides by this guides actions, we're not all created equal.

If you'd like to have a great day, give me a call!
I'll treat you right, listen to your wishes, leave catch-and-release fish in the water, not in the net and target them chinook!!! :grin:

[ 09-04-2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Gone Fishin ]

·
Registered
238 Posts
First, if you are paying for a full day then any respectable guide should accomadate your request for catch and release since you are paying him for the day. If it's just for a half day then that's a different story. Second, I would have raised wholly hell when he bonked that native. There is absolutely no excuse for a guide to do this. They catch hundreds and hundreds of fish down there. It becomes automatic to check for a fin when you are doing it for a living. Also, those natives never should have come in the boat. I don't think it's legal to do so and it's irresponsible at best especially when it's a guide. I think this guide sounds like he's very short sided and could give a hoot about the resource. I could really care less how good a guide is if he isn't going to respect your wishes and treats the resource that way he's never going to get my money. If anyone finds out who he is I would like to know so I don't waste my money. Just my .02 cents.

[ 09-04-2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Sorry you had a bad trip :depressed: like Marty said all guide's are not like that i've had some very good experiences with some very good guide's. your in a very tough spot I would definatly would report the nate being bonked.

Do I have a problem when I close my eyes and see fish?
'

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
If you're a sportsman, you have an obligation to report what you saw to the authorities.

You'll also be able to report anonymously.

Lastly, after such a rotten time, why would you try to negociate a half-day and get back in a boat with that idiot?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
If the kicker was out, he may not have been able to target nooks. From my experience, nooks run deeper and like slow-moving targets. However, I'm not trying to defend him. Any guide that needlessly kills fish is destroying the future of our sport. I would e-mail this link to him and threaten to expose his name to all of us... or just report his butt to ODFW!

By the way, I don't think the regs prohibit removing a fish from the water, they just require that care is taken to release it unharmed. In fact, I think the regs paphlet has instructions for how to hold a fish for photos prior to releasing it. Anyway, we would all prefer to see them released without destroying their scales in a net.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts