IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday a very nice guide boat maybe a 28 foot boat with twin 250s that fished the sturgeon season and is typically moored at Chinook sunk at its mooring. A very nice boat and nice guy. I asked port officials about it yesterday and learned the owner was in Arizona when it sunk. They were able to get it out and onto a trailer. I walked by that boat checking my boat Thursday afternoon for rainwater, the boat looked fine then. So it went down quickly. The owner told port guys that before leaving he had checked the bilge pumps and with fully charged batteries felt everything was ok. Based on my own boat rainfall did not sink that boat and since he had been using that boat a drain plug was not likely an issue. To me my guess would be structural failure.

• Sad
Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Ouch…. That’s going to leave a mark, insurance or not. I can’t imagine what type of structural damage would cause a boat that large to go down quickly. Especially if the bilges were checked before he left. Kirk

·
Registered
13,347 Posts
"since he had been using that boat a drain plug was not likely an issue. To me my guess would be structural failure."

Anything is possible, to think the boat hull failed before a plug failed is a pretty big leap, ......not one I would bet on.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A buddy had a spot with electrolysis open up the first night of moorage during a B-10 trip last fall. Luckily, the Warrenton staff saw it first thing in the morning about 1/3 filled, and put a trash pump in it to keep it afloat until we could show up and retrieve it. His protocol is to turn off batteries after fishing. Dunno if it is worth potentially dead batteries (transient voltage drop?) to put in an automatic bilge pump on his boat?

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
It could still be a drain plug issue. If you moor in salt water any use the cheap “brass” drain plugs they can cause problems. Check them often,the threads will basically rot away. This issue is why North River put screw in plugs in some models. Check and replace your drain plugs.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
When I picked up my NR Seahawk in 2016 it came with the screw in drain plug and I was told that the coast guard was requiring this type of plug on all new boat builds. I have no idea if this is true, but I will say that I really like this feature. Peace of mind.. The sinking to me is a head scratcher..

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was one of the 10-foot-wide open guide boats with a stern station, a big guide boat. Thinking it was drain plug you do the math and over 5,000 gallons of water would be needed at the minimum to sink that boat, likely more. Thats a tanker truck load of water, and that coming through a 1" diameter hole in 18 hours just doesn't add up. I know on my boat it has a 1" diameter screw in stainless steel plug set into a thick walled threaded welded in aluminum nipple. I would guess the nipple has 5/16 wall thickness, same as the through hull washdown pump suction. I use pipe thread compound every time I reset my plug to make sure I'm getting as much separation in the two metals as possible. One comment kicking around was maybe the guy ticked someone off and they sunk the boat. That don't make sense either, how would you sink a boat of that size quickly. Even tossing in the docks water hose into the boat wouldn't do it. Here are two photos a grabbed from the Port Managers page.
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Mode of transport

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Car

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Chuck-How else would you scuttle a boat and not take out the plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
When I picked up my NR Seahawk in 2016 it came with the screw in drain plug and I was told that the coast guard was requiring this type of plug on all new boat builds. I have no idea if this is true, but I will say that I really like this feature. Peace of mind.. The sinking to me is a head scratcher..
Yep, my NR was recalled to have a screw in plug installed. The reason they did this was due to boats sinking.

·
Vendor
6,245 Posts
I talked to the owner. The theory is that big rain storm had the bilge running continuosly and it ran the battery down. As the stern got heavy storm waves started washing over the swim step and water started infiltrating via the boots where wires and controls pass thru the hull. It became too much, and down she went.

Mikey is scrambling to source replacement parts and had about $10k worth of stuff in his truck to re-wire and re-fit the boat yesterday. He's paying out of his own pocket right now while waiting to see if insurance is gonna hose him or not. He hopes to have the boat ready to fish again in a couple weeks. It's ambitious, but he has pretty much sourced everything he needs.

I offered him my boat to run a couple trips so he doesn't have to cancel on clients.

My wife saved a boat from sinking at the Hammond dock last week. She noticed it was stern heavy and got marina staff to it just in time. This can happen to anyone, fast.
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Tree

Marina staff said boat in pic was gonna be under water if my wife hadn't gotten them there when she did.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
How big would the waves have to be to overcome the boots?

·
Registered
200 Posts
This was one of the 10-foot-wide open guide boats with a stern station, a big guide boat. Thinking it was drain plug you do the math and over 5,000 gallons of water would be needed at the minimum to sink that boat, likely more. Thats a tanker truck load of water, and that coming through a 1" diameter hole in 18 hours just doesn't add up. I know on my boat it has a 1" diameter screw in stainless steel plug set into a thick walled threaded welded in aluminum nipple. I would guess the nipple has 5/16 wall thickness, same as the through hull washdown pump suction. I use pipe thread compound every time I reset my plug to make sure I'm getting as much separation in the two metals as possible. One comment kicking around was maybe the guy ticked someone off and they sunk the boat. That don't make sense either, how would you sink a boat of that size quickly. Even tossing in the docks water hose into the boat wouldn't do it. Here are two photos a grabbed from the Port Managers page. View attachment 983469
View attachment 983468
1” gravity fed pipe maybe around 16 gallons per minute = 960 gallons/hr. Let’s say 1/4 that because the gravity is only a small difference from top water level to plug. So, 240 gallons/hr conservatively.

8hr = 1920 gallons.

8.34 lb/gallon = 16012 pounds.

Motors roughly 650 lbs each, rear of the boat. The boat won’t sink perfectly level.

Won’t take even close to 5000 gallons to sink it.

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
No idea what happened here. Most moorage sinkings I've seen are usually some kind of through hull device leaking, but heavy rain can definitely do it also.

Just an FYI, it takes at least a 1500+ gph bilge pump to keep up with a missing twist in drain plug which has a 0.93" hole. I've tested it and the smaller 3/4 discharge hose pumps can't keep up the needed flow on a static boat. I won't install a bilge pump less than 2000 gph.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
You’re pump might keep up but how long will the battery last?
Where were the marina employees in this? Why didn’t they notice and contact the owner?

·
Registered
41,893 Posts
My first Arima didn't have the clamp on the wash down hose tightened at the factory. Luckily the boat wasn't moored. Had the screw fall out of the plug on my current boat but it happened while I was on the water. not in the slip. Hadn't fished a couple of days because it had rained so when I got in the boat I turned on the pump to dump the rain that had collected. Was out on the water just below the bridge on the Oregon side, playing a fish and the pump came on. Hummmmm...... A while later I turned on the pump again and more water. Buzzed back to E. boat basin and backed the boat up the ramp so the bottom was resting on the ramp. The plug was in but no screw. Always carry two or three extras so no problem.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
A lot of water comes in that drain plug hole. Quickly. My 14’ Valco, left the drain plug out and was a third full by the time I got back from the parking lot.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
That submerged photo hurts to look at.

If his insurance doesn't cover it, I want to know what company he uses so I know to never use that company!!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Also are those Suzuki 250s going to be ok? I would be worried about the ECU and any water in the combustion chamber & air intake. Drain the oil/water of course. Maybe they will fire right up?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts