IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I witnessed an amazing number of grouse this start of archery season. I took my 5 and 7 year old kids with me this past weekend and we got into a covey on a hillside that had no less than 40 birds in it. This was in a popular public area on the eastside. What are you guys seeing? Is this the peak of a 10 year cycle that they talk about or did I just fall into a good spot?

If I didn't worry about messing up my elk hunt, I would have brought a .22 with me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A guy I work with said that he also saw lots of them out and about last week during his hunt. Might have to wake the dog up early and go see if I can find any local.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
14 miles walking desalination unit saw 0 grouse this last weekend . Maybe it's too dry and they are closer to the creeks?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I hope they are around. Always a favorite table fair. We usually see them driving in to our secret spot but not this year.
Good too know they are around.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I ride my plated dirt bike on hundreds of miles of single lane paved and gravel roads a week. There are grouse literally everywhere the last two years and this year there may be even more. I think the long dry spells the last couple years means more birds survived. I will be eating a lot of delicious grouse this year.

·
Registered
604 Posts
These reports are interesting. I've been on two dedicated grouse hunts in the Coast Range this season and have seen nothing. Same deal for mountain quail. Normally, there are some birds in specific spots. It seems unusual. I wonder if the Cascades is having a better grouse year? After many years of grouse hunting, I know better than to come up with a premature hypothesis based on a limited data range.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Harvested 1 ruff and saw two more blues in Heppner unit last weekend. The ruff had red berries in it's craw. Figured I would see more than I did...must be all the traffic in the Heppner unit etc. Only heard one other shotgun shot.

Saw more in Desolation last year this time of year.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I witnessed an amazing number of grouse this start of archery season. I took my 5 and 7 year old kids with me this past weekend and we got into a covey on a hillside that had no less than 40 birds in it. This was in a popular public area on the eastside. What are you guys seeing? Is this the peak of a 10 year cycle that they talk about or did I just fall into a good spot?

If I didn't worry about messing up my elk hunt, I would have brought a .22 with me.
I didn’t know they would covey in that large of groups. That’s a lot of grouse!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think the mild winter helped the bird populations. Turkeys are everywhere where I hunt this year. Lots of football sized ones.

·
Registered
39,369 Posts
For those of you hunting the extreme NE like Wallowa Mtns., this is home to the Spruce Grouse which is protected. Make sure you can ID what you're shooting before pulling the trigger.

BeaverNation: North Coast Range never has big numbers. Strictly a game of chance.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Saw two different groups of 3 to 5 and saw several singles. I actually commented to my hunting partner that I wish I had my shotgun. Like another person posted all of these were near berry patches.
Good news then. I've lived in Central Oregon since 2003 and historically they haven't been around much.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn’t know they would covey in that large of groups. That’s a lot of grouse!
I didn't know either. I've never seen it like that before. It might have been 4 or 5 coveys of 8-12 grouse on the same hillside. It was buzzing with grouse!

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
My issue with grouse hunting near Wikiup : the mosquito's are terrible around the berry's/water the grouse are feeding on/near. That and the bear tag I am trying to fill when out there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts