IFish.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we're enjoying the lobster and watching the sun rise.
Foliage is just starting to turn, although today it's 85. yuck! I hate humidity. Heading out in a bit to do some damage on the stripers and bluefish. There have been some BF around too, to 100lbs. Hoping to get out tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll have something cool to post after the trip. Hope you all have been getting out back there.
Good fishing,
GBS

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Re: greetings dog, from Maine

Brad,

Enjoy Maine its a beautiful state!! I backpacked the Appalachian trail a few years ago which spans from Mt Katahdin, Maine- Springer Mtn, Georgia
Be sure to check out Bar Harbor and Acadia Natl Park. I rented a kayak and trolled a crippled herring, could not keep those mackeral off the line, would hook them inches away from the yak!
Lobster is yummy as well, 8 bucks a lb last time i was there!
Theres great fishing for brook trout and atlantic salmon out there if you got time to check into that. Those pesky bluefish are a blast to catch, stripers too. a Bft would be savage!

Whos your fishing contact over there?

Peace out!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Good for you! It's been a long time since I lived in Mass. and enjoyed fresh lobster & steamed clams. I still remember all those summer clam bakes!:cheers: It's too bad about the miserable humidity all along the East Coast. It would be perfect if not for the humidity! I definitely wouldn't have picked August - September for a visit. October with all the trees turning was my favorite month. After October you never knew what would happen to the weather.
,Ed

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

GBS,
The striper and blue fishing should be going off right now as they get ready to migrate. Get out there and catch some fish! Eat some lobster for me, or better yet, try to sneak a couple back through airport security for me. I promise to send you a cake with a file in it afterwards.
Dan

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

well, the stripers were not cooperative, but blues were. I kinda miss fishing for them. What savages they are. Keep your fingers away from the mouth at all times! We fished and did a booze cruise out of a 21 Polar CC. What a sweet boat. I think if I were in the market for a CC, I'd check them out seriously.
hoping to try out some more estuary stripers tomorrow, then more lobsters tomorrow night.
see you all back on the Left coast soon,
gBS

·
Registered
7,260 Posts

Man - I love Bar Harbor. Enjoy the summer. Winter will be here way too soon.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts

I envy you Brad as I am doing a sewer hookup and Everyone in the world thinks they want something painted. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
16,600 Posts

I know some lobster pounds that will next day the lobsters to you. Did it last Christmas, and they were a-ok.

I worked the Acadia NP about 20 years ago, make sure to rent a bike and do the carriage roads.

·
Banned
15,714 Posts

Sounds like a great time Brad!! Enjoy your time over there and have a safe trip home.

:cheers:

CrF

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
We went there for our 25 anniversary. Flew in to Portland and rented a car. Drove to the coast and headed north. Ended up in Ba Haba via Freeport, home to LL Bean. That was a great trip. I've also done the lobster by FedEx and will be doing it again in early October. We use Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. IMO Lobster roles suck as does lobster pizza. We had a good time one night at Getty's there in Bar Harbor, I also suggest that you keep your wife away from the blue drinks, they don't mix well with lobster pizza. Thank for bringing back the fond memories.

·
Premium Member
8,762 Posts
I visited maine about 20 or so years ago, was able to go out for the day with a lobster fisherman. Interesting day. He had taken other folks before, but I was the first one that wanted to help him during the day. The others just parked their fanny on the stern and watched all day.

I filled the bait jars for him, unfortunately I didn't use the gloves he had. The smell was pretty intense, but it didn't bother me much. However, I wasn't really very welcome at the pie social I met my mother at that evening!

The lobster fisherman really got his laughs watching me put the rubber bands on the lobster claws too! he had done it a few times and it wasn't quite as easy as he made it look. I could do it, just not nearly as quickly as he could and of couse sometimes I fumbled trying to do it.

I really enjoyed seeing what came up in the pots; lobsters, crabs, fish of various types, and I dont remember what else. Probably starfish too. It was my best day in Maine, I even took home a few lobster and crab that he wouldn't let me pay for 'cause I had helped him. I thought I should be paying an excursion fare!!!

So, Brad I hope you have at least as good a memory of your visit to Maine to keep as the one I have!
ron m

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful adventure Brad. I have never been to Maine but It's on my list of places to visit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts