Because the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is so far from any country’s coastline, no nation will take responsibility or provide the funding to clean it up. Plastics do not degrade, or degrade very very slowly.
Study Shows That Nearly 80% of the Annual Plastic Flow Into the Environment Can Be Stopped Using Existing Technology
Meet the dutchman who was willing to tackle the issue and founded 'The Ocean Cleanup' (nonprofit) at the age of 18 - Boyan Slat. Kudos to the Netherlands. I believe I read he expects to reduce pacific garbage patch by 50% in 5 years..
According to their research, ~1000 rivers are accountable for 80% of global annual emissions which range between 0.8 – 2.7 million metric tons per year, with small urban rivers amongst the most polluting. The remaining 20% of plastic emissions are distributed over 30,000 rivers, represented by smaller blue dots. Really neat map worth exploring