IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Because the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is so far from any country’s coastline, no nation will take responsibility or provide the funding to clean it up. Plastics do not degrade, or degrade very very slowly.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/great-pacific-garbage-patch/

Study Shows That Nearly 80% of the Annual Plastic Flow Into the Environment Can Be Stopped Using Existing Technology

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/resear...-the-annual-plastic-flow-into-the-environment

Meet the dutchman who was willing to tackle the issue and founded 'The Ocean Cleanup' (nonprofit) at the age of 18 - Boyan Slat. Kudos to the Netherlands. I believe I read he expects to reduce pacific garbage patch by 50% in 5 years..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyan_Slat

According to their research, ~1000 rivers are accountable for 80% of global annual emissions which range between 0.8 – 2.7 million metric tons per year, with small urban rivers amongst the most polluting. The remaining 20% of plastic emissions are distributed over 30,000 rivers, represented by smaller blue dots. Really neat map worth exploring

https://theoceancleanup.com/sources/

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Boyan needs a haircut.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I support 4 Oceans. More and more folks are taking notice of the need to be cleaning up our oceans. The problem is it always takes money to help solve these problems.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A walk along any of our tribs this fall, early winter will reveal all of the summer trash which has been left behind by so many who recreate in the rivers. A lot from swimmers, floaters, sunbathers from my observations but also just thrown from moving vehicles onto the roadside and feeding down into watersheds. I generally pull at least a bag or two of just plastic from stretches of the Washougal which I frequent each December when steelheading. Probably a lot easier to remove it now while it’s accessible, than to wait until it’s in the middle of the Pacific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
There's gotta be a Cowboys joke in there...

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Went to the store the other day. Someone that had a ashtray full of cig butts decided the parking lot was a good place to dump them. A nice big pile of butts. I mentioned it to my GD who was with me and she never noticed. Some are blind. I sent away for a pair of 'now you can see litter glasses' for her.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
To paraphrase Jacques Cousteau:
The problem isn't pollution, over fishing, sewage, garbage.......It's PEOPLE.

NOW, before someone volunteers me to be the first to leave, I'm not talking about the purge, I'm thinking population control. Voluntary of course.

Sadly, KalamaGeo nailed it.

Reactions: fair hooker

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Humans are pigs.

Thank you. That needed to be said. Who the hell are these people anyway? They throw down everywhere, apparently without a thought.....They disgust me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My local fishery probably has at least a bag of fisherman's garbage on the bank at any given time. Gloves, sand shrimp containers, line, hooks, packaging of various sizes and shapes, and now a ton of disposable masks...It's kind of crazy just how much rubbish is left behind, as it doesn't take very much effort to throw the crap you brought back into the bag you brought it down in. Or people who just unload all their **** on the bank, and half their stuff blows off in the wind with every gust. Most times, not one fisherman goes to grab the blowing rubbish except for me. It's sick, our consumption culture, and we can't even pick up after ourselves. It's as if we believe our waste disappears if we don't pay attention to it. Fishermen should be stewards for the environment. Instead, they are some of the most disgusting, environment-destroying individuals I have ever seen...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
USA looks pretty good in the global context. The Phillippines, Malaysia, India, China, and others in that region..........***????
I don’t know about looking good. According to the article I read Asian countries do put more garbage in the ocean. The USA “only” puts 242 million pounds of garbage in the ocean each year. What are we doing to reduce that amount?

·
Registered
175 Posts
My local fishery probably has at least a bag of fisherman's garbage on the bank at any given time. Gloves, sand shrimp containers, line, hooks, packaging of various sizes and shapes, and now a ton of disposable masks...It's kind of crazy just how much rubbish is left behind, as it doesn't take very much effort to throw the crap you brought back into the bag you brought it down in. Or people who just unload all their **** on the bank, and half their stuff blows off in the wind with every gust. Most times, not one fisherman goes to grab the blowing rubbish except for me. It's sick, our consumption culture, and we can't even pick up after ourselves. It's as if we believe our waste disappears if we don't pay attention to it. Fishermen should be stewards for the environment. Instead, they are some of the most disgusting, environment-destroying individuals I have ever seen...
How about a drinking game to make it fun? Blue fox packaging? Take a drink! 3/0 red octopus hook? Take a drink! Sand shrimp tub with dead sand shrimp in it? Take a drink! Birds nest of hi-viz 40lb test? Take a drink!

Come to think of it, with just only looking for those items, you'd probably keel over pretty quick.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts