IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great day drifting twin bridges to town today. Love the new drift boat, well, except for the seat cushion (plywood!)

Did I catch fish? :shrug: :tongue:

The river is shallow... had to get out and push a few times... prolly should have pushed a few more times, but.....

All in all it was a super day, until I saw this (see pics)

There had to be about 15 steel and salmon heads right at the Siletz boat launch. Two carcasses which were not gutted, and only the upper body meat was cut off, the rest thrown away.

Now what bothers me is that the one carcass I inspected had an adipose fin, and though I didnt look extremely close, I didnt see one ripped lip either.

The river is too shallow to carry a full sized drifter with two or more people without a lot of walking, so I dont suspect this is the work of legitimate fishermen.

Also, there were enough heads etc to limit 7+ people!

I'm guessing someone is gillnetting at night, and though this is a shame, what REALLY angers me is the blaitant waste.

Siletz fishermen, keep your eyes peeled, poachers better watch thier backs. Cirrhosis is on a mission.

[ 07-04-2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
:hoboy: What a damn shame... get a rope.. :mad: :depressed: Very sad !

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Thats more than a shame thats a crime! the people who did it should be found and have everything they own confiscated and have them and their families thrown out on the streets. fines don't cut it. If they disrespect the law in this situation they will also disrespect it in any other whenever they want. scum of the Earth. don't deserve to live in Oregon..

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Originally posted by rob allen:
Thats more than a shame thats a crime! the people who did it should be found and have everything they own confiscated and have them and their families thrown out on the streets.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">While I appreciate the passion from where this originated, I hardly believe that making an entire family homeless is a just punishment for this crime.

Confiscating all fishing equipment, steep fines ($1000 per fish is a nice start), and loss of fishing priviledges for five years should be plenty harsh enough.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spud. Called before I posted this, offered the pics too but you know something, the dispatcher siad "well theres really nothing we can do about it now" before I could offer details. I literally had to convince him to take the report!
I was shocked to say the least. Here I am reporting a crime, and I have to convince the dispatcher that it is worthy of note?

As an angler, I appreciate the oportunity to take only what I need, well short of any legal limits, I also make it a point to recognize and help others respect the laws. So seeing the poached fish after being very conscious of the laws, and then hearing the dispatchers lack of interest in the report, I felt as though Id been slapped in the face twice. I bet if I called and said "theres evidence of marijuana growing on the river" there would be a swarm of cops there in a heartbeat.

After landing a keeper, and releasing a nate, I crimped the barb on my hook. I hooked and landed another native steelhead. I was very proud of my succes with a barbless hook and 8lb magnathin, and he was freed effortlessly without leaving the water. Cought a few juviniles in the 14 to 16 inch range, and decided to give up the bait for the day. I was happy with my first trip on my new drift boat. The fish and the call left me with a bad feeling.

I'd like these people to stop and follow the same rules I do, theres little or no effect to taking everything they own and putting them on the streets. I think a more appropriate consequence would be to sentance them to river clean-ups and habitat restoration, every weekend for a year? And taking thier licenses (if they even have one) Its about the only way I see them giving back what they took.

I plan to talk to the tribal police, and to post a few pictures around town asking that anyone with info contact the state police. Shaking my fists and complaining to cyberspace isnt going to help, seems like calling the game officer isnt either. Wish I could offer a reward.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by AtWorkALot:
Maybe we can do some recon next weekend and get these guys caught Doug.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Jim, you mean like...Rambo style? YEA-UH! Im all for it, Ive got tanks, wetsuit, underwater camera/lites.

Of course catching them in the act, and scaring the heck out of them would be hilarious, Id like to just shred the nets and leave a note that says they have been cought and to pray the police get to them first.

[ 07-05-2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
132 Posts
I never will forget it was approx 10-12 ago when i lived in Washington a friend and I were fishing the East fork of the Lewis. I caught two nice bright steelhead between 6-8 lb my friend noticed that both my fish had gill net marks on both of them he caught one a little later and sure enough he had marks on his also. So he did some checking around, he talked to a friend of his that knows that river like the back of his hand, and was told "There seems to be many smaller fish being caught usually the earlier run in the winter time has bigger fish". He later found out that there was word that on a stretch of approx 2 miles of the river that was private property someone spotted a gillnet being upon the river bank. most of it was hidden the brush. He told me he knew where he thought it might be and if I wanted to go for a little job that night about 11:30 pm ...heck! i ask him "if he was going to shoot the guys" he laughed and said know we are going to pull a big trick on those fellas. So he came and got me late in the evening we went to a curtian bridge that was approx 1/2 mile from where he thought the gillnet was going in, and we dumped in approx 5-7 hay bailes i guess the hay bailes would swell up and doing so took out the gillnet. after we did that he called the state police and told them to check the property out. from what we found out the gillnet was dammaged big time and the cops caught the dudes trying to untangle the hay from the net. Now from what we found out was they had their net set up so it could catch the bigger fish and let the smaller ones through thinking it wouldnt be noticed. they were illigaly getting the bigger fish takeing them up to a unknown place in Seattle and tradeing them for drugs. needless to say i think their still serving time and that was approx 11 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I think you would be better off trying to directly contact an officer
maybe try the nearest OSP office?

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
LL-
I hear you can still damage their nets to this day if you want. :mad:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Since I am against violence,when you catch him don't hurt this guy, just do whats necessary to change him from a bull to a steer !!!!!!!!! :mad:

[ 07-05-2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: bigshark ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:laugh: Far more than I intended! But Ill consider it only if "atworkalot" is the surgeon" "I'll be the anesthesiologist (as long as its not a local) :laugh:

"Dr. does this procedure require a left hook to anestitize?"

"Nope, just hold him down"

[ 07-05-2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
136 Posts
ummm, bigshark, I think that still may hurt just a bit, well alot. I'd rather take the rambo effect than the bull to steer sanarieo....

It's a shame to see things like that, just the other day I saw a chinook on the bank of the santiam that was cought and left, to far up the bank to be a spawner. I say that the person needs to be thrown in jail and have his fishing and hunting privliges taken away for life, I mean if he guy gil nets he most likly poches deer and elk as well, 5 years suspenchion aint good enough in my book, I do like the 1,000 per fish though that could add up being as theres most likly more fish that have been killed by this guy.

I think that some of us should get together and try to find this guy, I mean if the "athorities" don't do anything then we ought to find the guy/s so it will make it easy on them, I really like the hay bails idea it's a good one...........

John

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel obligated to do something about this since the dismall reaction I got from the OSP dispatcher. I printed pics and yadda yadda, "call osp if you have info"

I made a few discoveries today while doing some snooping around a very narrow slot just upriver from the Siletz launch. Ill avoid details in case I am wrong (I was trespassing too) but I think Im on to something.

Im not sure why, but this sort of thing angers me enough to waste my time trying to do something about it.

[ 07-06-2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by cirrhosis-of-the-river:

There had to be about 15 steel and salmon heads right at the Siletz boat launch. Two carcasses which were not gutted, and only the upper body meat was cut off, the rest thrown away.

Now what bothers me is that the one carcass I inspected had an adipose fin, and though I didnt look extremely close, I didnt see one ripped lip either.

The river is too shallow to carry a full sized drifter with two or more people without a lot of walking, so I dont suspect this is the work of legitimate fishermen.

Also, there were enough heads etc to limit 7+ people!

I'm guessing someone is gillnetting at night, and though this is a shame, what REALLY angers me is the blaitant waste.

Siletz fishermen, keep your eyes peeled, poachers better watch thier backs. Cirrhosis is on a mission.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sparkleboy's with you, Cirrhosis. Seeing that's enough to make me turn my fishing trips into investigation time. Why are some people so greedy?
Cirrhosis, I have some connections with OSP and a special officer out of Newport, let me know what you find. Or e-mail me all the information you have, and I'll send it along.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Fishing geek.
maybe your right. but to be honest I could care less about the families of these sportsmen . If a man is so willing to destroy a public resiurce there should be no hesitation to destroy his lively hood. If i was his boss i'd fire him, if i was his landloard i'd kick him out. If i was his friend I'd turn him in to OSP. If he was my customer I'd no longer do any bussiness with him. They deserve the stiffest penlties imaginable even if this is their first offence. I am thinking 10,000 dollars per fish AND 5 years in jail and lifetime loss of fishing license privledges nationwide. This is not a crime of ignorance. These guys literally by their actions told us that they hate the resourse and desire the destruction of it. They have no bussiness being anywhere near a river ever again for any reason

[ 07-07-2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Rob,

1 - 20 of 51 Posts