IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just put in my order for a crestliner xf 189. I already have a Terrova with a garmin striker plus 7sv mounted on it.

I "think" I am set on a echomap UHD 93sv for the second unit for the new boat.

Question is: Do I keep the 7sv on the bow and put the 93sv on the transom or the other way around?

My reasoning to put the 93sv on the transom is the use of the maps is probably more beneficial while scouting vs actually fishing.
Am I on the right track here?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Hey guys. I just put in my order for a crestliner xf 189. I already have a Terrova with a garmin striker plus 7sv mounted on it.

Question is: Do I keep the 7sv on the bow and put the 93sv on the transom or the other way around?

My reasoning to put the 93sv on the transom is the use of the maps is probably more beneficial while scouting vs actually fishing.
I think having the 93SV on the bow makes sense. You can also get the Navionics app on your phone if you want maps while you are driving around with the big motor. While fishing I would not want to be constantly taking out my phone but having it handy while driving seems reasonable.

Take what I say with a grain of salt though since I do fish out of a kayak. I would add a heading sensor - Garmin Steadycast or a Lowrance Point 1 - as well (and the necessary NMEA2000 network). It is really nice to know which way your boat is pointing when fishing. Adding that to my kayak has really helped with fishing offshore.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Do you already have the UHD93SV? If not have you considered the GPSmap series instead?

With the GPSMap you can add an auxiliary tablet screen in the back. I started with my GPSMap 9806XSV in the front but when I was trolling in the back I had a hard time reading the screen as clearly as I liked (I could read depth, speed, etc but it wasn't perfect). I added a tablet in the back that runs off the WiFi and mirrors the fish finder. It's a pretty good fix for about $200

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up getting the 93sv with gt56uhd transducer at a deal I could not pass up. Kind of had to make the call on the spot and at that time I was reading into the gpsmaps and now knowing I could have just used a tablet at the console with that, that would have probably been the better choice.

I do plan to get another uhd 93sv for the bow (keep the striker plus 7 on the trolling motor since its already there and no sense in selling it used) and add livescope on a pole for that unit.

Now just a matter of how the heck to get this all wired up. Beings my Terrova is 24 volt, I think I can fit one more group 24 deep cycle battery in there and run all the electronics off it.

I am sure all the boat accessories are on the cranking battery. Two batteries solely for the Terrova. And one battery for all the electronics. Wish i could afford lithium.

Any battery recommendations for something like this?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm selling a 73sv for those that would be happy with something smaller

·
Registered
488 Posts
The 7 inch units are great especially if you are not trying to view any split screen displays. Scheels has the echomap plus UHD 73sv right now for $499 which is a pretty great deal. Any of the echomap series before the UHD ( ie chirp or plus) are no longer going to be receiving software updates which is something to be aware of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts