IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headn' south to do some toon-a-fishn, and some 1/2 pounders are my quarry. C&R but really would like some input. It has been years since I did it, but oppurtunity and toons and some local friends, I'm on it again.
Our float is from Hogs Creek to Graves Creek, and just a wondering if I'm too early, or late. It was many years ago that we did it, and not sure exactly of the month. I think it was June, down at Agnes, but not 100%
Any help would be cool.
Would also be happy to hook-up with some ifishers for a cold beverage, or an adult cold one in that area.

Happy Fishn':smile:-------------------~ <{{{{><
Bruce
aka. Water Ready!

·
Banned
5,459 Posts
I usually get the 1/2 pounders up higher in the river (by medford) in September/october

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
you are a little early, in the Grants Pass area, but there are some in there. I just spent 3 days over the weekend at Graves Creek and saw a few roll.

RF

·
Registered
496 Posts
i thought half pounders stayed lower in the system? where would be a good place to target half pounders now? i'm working out of gold beach right now and would like to go fish for an hour in the evening after work, any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
If I had to catch a half pounder to win a bet right now I would head to Agness and float from there down. Or maybe from....no, that would be it. If you are driving down just head over the mountain from Galice and drop your boat in after getting ice and beer at Cougar Lane. All that being to win a bet....I'd bet that I'd catch a lot more down at agness a month from now.:cheers:

Mark

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
You're a bit early although there are a few around....... be prepared for the possibility of a nice adult Steelie as well. There are have been a few picked up and so far they are running very large and healthy!!!

I intend to be on that stretch of river on Friday (working, of course.......) with my family and another family or two rafting. Let me know if you will be on the river that day, perhaps we can chat and have a cold one together.

Nightcrawlers drifted in the fastest part of the riffles seem to be the ticket, from what I have been told by those that have been catching. Be aware, especially on the weekend, that the traffic will be horrendous for fishing. Rookie rafters are not real good at avoiding fish lines as they plow down stream in search of nothing but fun!!

·
Registered
19,631 Posts
i thought half pounders stayed lower in the system? where would be a good place to target half pounders now? i'm working out of gold beach right now and would like to go fish for an hour in the evening after work, any suggestions?

I would drift a worm around the Lobster Creek bridge.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
i have had great success with 1/2 pounders in that area. try a corky with a worm and as you hit the bottom of a riffle cast up stream and drag it down stream. caught bunches of taggers and smaller with that technique in that area but later in the year.

·
Registered
19,631 Posts
i have had great success with 1/2 pounders in that area. try a corky with a worm and as you hit the bottom of a riffle cast up stream and drag it down stream. caught bunches of taggers and smaller with that technique in that area but later in the year.

I use half a worm and a red or orange bead.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Small rebel crawdad plugs fished on light tackle in the riffles are deadly on half pounders. If you do not want to fish bait that is..

·
Registered
616 Posts
I like to use Spinners or a chunk of nightcrawler with a small corky fished with a small slinky.

It's a bit early on the Middle and Upper Rogue but you might get into them near Quosatana Creek down lower. There's some bank access in the area. For better bank access try the Old Agness area where the Illinois River dumps into the Rogue. There's a large gravel bar on the NW side of the river that has good access.

·
Registered
19,631 Posts
thanks, that's what i was looking for! how bout craw tails?

Trust me, half a crawler with a red bead, drifted with a slinky, will do the job.
I fish 8lb main, with 6lb leader, there are fish over 20in, so be ready.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lobster creek area seems to produce a few early in the season. Drift a worm or slowly work a gold Thomas Buoyant through riffles. The Thomas can really be deadly for them. I wouldn't go less than 6lb test because you have a really good chance of hooking a steelhead too.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Trust me, half a crawler with a red bead, drifted with a slinky, will do the job.
I fish 8lb main, with 6lb leader, there are fish over 20in, so be ready.
i will try that when i go back to work, i always wanna fish evenings but didn't know where, i will bring a stick next time, my bosses son who tends for us wants to steelhead fish too, so i can kill 2 birds with one stone, thanks. i have been fishing 3lb ultragreen for summers lately, light line is no prob for me, will my 9'6" certified pro 4-8lb and 6lb line be overkill?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Half a night crawler with a bead or small corkie is deadly. 3/8 oz Panther Martin Spinners retrieved slowly are killer. Not to be overlooked if you're a fly fisherman is a size 10 double hook Red Ant. Coal Riffle is great water, and Hotel Riffle at Agness can be great during August. Some years, Salmon and Steelhead will move into the lower couple of miles of the Illinois for cooler water temps and hang out. The water there is gin clear and stealth is required. From Gold Beach I think Coal Riffle is about a six mile drive upriver. Ask the locals. You have to hike down a bank but it's worth it. Fish all the water from the slow water above the riffle all the way down into the pocket water along the South bank lower in the riffle. In the 1970's I caught 26 fish one night on flies without wading more than a few feet from the spot I started. There used to be a root wad high in the break at Coal. It had a reputation for kicking out lots of fish.

·
Banned
247 Posts
thanks, that's what i was looking for! how bout craw tails?
:noway: those don't work :tongue:

Take your net (you brought a net didn't you?) and scoop up a wad of moss then pick out the crawdads and put them in a cup or bait box with a clump of grass to keep them moist.

This will usually outfish most offerings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts