IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed down to the Grants Pass area this weekend and was wondering if anybody could suggest a good, easy drift???

I haven't explored that area before and would like to start with an easy drift becasue I'm going to work with the wife behind the oars!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

PNWFishHunter

·
Registered
594 Posts
An easy drift from Grants Pass would be to Put-In at Grants Pass Riverside Park Ramp on the south side of the river (with the Isack Walton Building and Ramp up stream from the old twin concrete bridges) and Take-Out down stream at Whitehorse County? Park Ramp on the north side of the river.
Locals on here can fine tune my recommendation, it's been a few years for me. You'd want to find a local shuttle for your boat trailer too.
Good on ya for getting your wife behind the oars. Cheers!

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
There are lots of options, depending on how long you want to be on the river.

Jet Drifters advice is not bad advice, but there may be better advice to be had.

The Isaac Walton Building is no longer there and the ramp at both Riverside park and Whitehorse are not the easiest to access or find, if you are not familiar with the area.

I would consider putting in at Baker Park, just under the Parkway Bridge(Debs Potts bridge), upstream a few hundred yards from Riverside Park and taking out at one of the several park ramps down river.

If you can get by U Save Gas and Tackle on Rogue River Hiway, they have a river map book produced by the local Steelheaders and all of the ramps and options are available there.

If you have more questions or specific concerns, feel free to pm me.

I intend to be on this stretch of river in my 17' Alumweld sled on Saturday....... give a wave if you see me!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have to agree with Straydog. Put in at Baker Park. It would depend on your experience where you take out. The river level dropped. A novice at the oars , I would suggest taking out at Lathrop(Hop Yard) or Schroeder park. The next boat ramp is Whitehorse and it can be diffucult to hit the ramp for a novice.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Boy howdy on the river drop! It's running below a foot at GP.....

BTW, weather forecast calls for showers Friday, partial clearing Sat and showers Sunday. Highs just about 70 degrees. Great fall fishing weather!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts