IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to do some bottom fishing this year as I have a boat that is equipped for Tuna and would easily handle fishing for rock fish in close.

Is there anybody going out that I could caravan with??

I've been out to "The Ranch" and the "Rockpile" on charter trips. I know they arent secret locations. Is anyone willing to give me the true GPS numbers for those locations?

Thanks,

My Limit :cheers:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Better check the regs and the "line" for this year. No bottom fishing beyong the 40 fathom line June-Oct I believe (it's been a while so verify this). :cheers:

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Go to maptech.com to get online charts. Just run your cursor over a spot on the chart, and pull the coordinates off the lower left pane.

See this:

stonewall on maptech

Here are the waypints (connected by a line) for the 40 fathom line that denotes the closure:

40f line waypoints

Uh...not to give you a hard time or anything...but you mention a boat that is "tuna ready"....you do have charts, right? Stonewall bank is pretty big....you can find it with a compass.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark,

Is this stone wall considered "The Rockpile"? I will play with this. I'm trying to make it bigger to see it in relation to the shore.

Yep, I have a chartplotter. They guy I bought the boat from in California had only had it 6 months from the factory. It's got the huge 10-11" Garmin color Chartplotter with sounder, auto pilot, radar, vhf, epirb etc. It's loaded. I just need to figure out how to use everything. I just bought a download from Garmin to put into my chartplotter which will have everything I need to know about the rivers and ocean off of the Oregon and Washington Coast. :cool:

I've only been fishing in the ocean for two years so I won't feel bad if you guys joke with me. :tongue:

I'm here to learn all I can and help if there is anything I can do. :angel:

Thanks,

My Limit :cheers:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My Limit... yes the Stonewall Banks is the area called the Rockpile.

Go ahead and ask your questions. Most of us have had to so we could learn, so now time to pass along the knowledge.

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Here are a couple of waypoints I've used at the rockpile, as with any internet co-ordinates use them at your own peril and check them on a chart. N44 33.142 W124 24.734
N44 32.950 W124 24.630
Chart #18580 Cape Blanco to Yaquina Head :cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Limit... yes the Stonewall Banks is the area called the Rockpile.

Go ahead and ask your questions. Most of us have had to so we could learn, so now time to pass along the knowledge.

Welcome to the board.
I need some clarification here. I thought that "Stonewall Banks" or "The Chicken Ranch" were 20 miles out of Newport and the "RockPile" was about 5 miles out of Newport. Now I hear they are one in the same? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Not at all one and the same. Rockpile is approx 17 miles WSW out of newport. I forget the exact heading, Chicken Ranch is approx. 37 miles out.
Mark's suggestion of getting a chart is an important piece of info here. GPS is only one of several navigation tools and any one is not enough. I could relate a story here about using only GPS got me in some serious trouble once here but it would be showing my own stupidity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not at all one and the same. Rockpile is approx 17 miles WSW out of newport. I forget the exact heading, Chicken Ranch is approx. 37 miles out.
Mark's suggestion of getting a chart is an important piece of info here. GPS is only one of several navigation tools and any one is not enough. I could relate a story here about using only GPS got me in some serious trouble once here but it would be showing my own stupidity.
I realize about using charts, etc. The problem is when people give names to coordinates that are not on a chart, like The Rockpile. Stonewall is a known name and on the charts. That is why I needed clarification.

So, then the above mentioned that the Rockpile and Stonewall were one in the same. They are not. I usualy take given coordinates and then verify them with software. The ones above given for Stonewall were correct. Now, what about the RockPile? Where is it?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Try 252' true and you shouod be right in the ball park. The rock pile does extend N to S several miles and E to W several miles. A chart really helps to pinpoint where things are.

edsr

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
4Hales....time for a re-set here.

The "Rockpile" is the local lingo for Stonewall Bank.

The "Chicken Ranch" is not identified by any name on the chart. It is another ~16-17 nautical miles past Stonewall Bank, on about the same course you take from the Newport Jetty to the north end of Stonewall bank (actually, you cross the south end of the northern 'bump').

On the deep-water halibut days, there will be 50 - 100 boats heading there. I can post some numbers later tonight if someone else has not yet done so.

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Stonewall bank is called the Rockpile by most of us. I have had some other names for it that I can't type due to the AUP. This is a reef complex about 16 miles west and somewhat south of Newport. It is about 1 mile wide (east-west) and about 5 or 6 miles long from North to South. Steer 242 and you will cross near the north end.

The ocean conditions are always worse here than most anywhere else off the central coast. You can use the 46050 bouy for a real time look at conditions. It is located North and west of Stonewall bank.

I'll give some numbers but you must use them with caution. This reef is beyond the abilities of casual boaters and greenhorn saltwater cowboys. A minimum 35 mile round trip requires fuel capacity, experience, seaworthy boat and a captain with a brain. This trip can go from a 2 hour round trip to a rough 2 or 3 hour return trip when the afternoon NW wind kicks up like it does most days in May, June and July. If the wind starts to blow run for the barn.

N44d 32.052'
W124d 24.401'

It might take you all summer to figure part of the thing out, the above spot is a good one for Kings down deep.

Now for the Chicken Ranch where two or three sport boats capsize and sink every May. About twice the distance and use the same 242 heading and you will get there after 32 or so miles. That's a 90 minute ride on a glassy ocean. Personally I have experienced a 5 hour return trip. Your mileage may vary but I do not recommend a rough day ride to the ranch to anyone. With all of the same caveats as above but adding .. fishing in 600 feet of water requires special knowledge and equipment. Look up the many past posts on Halibut fishing, Flat ['sons of bachelors' substituted for original terminology :smash: ], butts and BFB.

Do not just wake up one day and decide to give it a go. Just because you have a large boat do not assume you will be ok. Many trips that started with an assumption, ended with a short, very cold swim

N44d 28.403'
W124 43.603'

N44d 28.157'
W124 43.638'

I got hung up twice in 600 feet of water at the ranch in two locations. Can you guess what the way points are? Just kidding, first spot is a place to steer to that will take you to within sight of the pack but not charging right into it. The second is a pretty good spot to fish. Watch the other boats and learn from how they set up and drift. There are some sweet spots at the ranch.

Good luck and befriend one of the salty dogs, maybe they'll take you on your first rodeo so you can avoid the cold swim.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pilar...Thanks for the clarity on this. I'm not one to just go out. Actually, my friend is the Captain with the boat. I'm trying to make sense of all these names and get coordinates. Thanks for all the warnings etc. Everyone on this board is extremely helpful. Thanks again.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey 4hales :nerd:, I couldn't help to notice that you haven't posted a story yet. :help: We need a story!

RR

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Welcome aboard My limit.Sounds like you've thought this out quite a bit and have fitted yourself with a good boat. Go ahead and brag on your boat all you like, we all do. But be sure and give it some shakedown runs first. I was at the ranch 3 years ago when a brand new Sea sport went down supposedly because the bilge pump wasnt wired in at the factory.
I have an Arima as well(while my new toy is waiting to be built).

There are quite a few wise old salts around here and you cant beat free info from experienced hands.
I'd be happy to team up with you for some rockpile or chicken ranch adventures soon as the weather gives a window.
I had a feeling as soon as I posted some waypoints here it would get weird quick.

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Notice the number of hits on this thread. Free gps waypoints ... Hmmmmmm.

There are no zipperlips on the big blue.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hummmm.... Now those numbers are taken with a surveyors or NOAA GPS unit aren't they? The ones with 4" accuracy? Not your run of the mill store bought GPS that are maybe accurate to 50'.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts