IFish.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an older Magellan unit go belly up on me earlier this year and I inquired about a fix from Magellan and this is what they replied with:

"We are sorry to inform that your unit is no longer Updatable or Servicable.
However, The Magellan Trade-in Program allows you to trade your older GPS in
for a different model, at a discounted price:

We have a trade-in program where you can trade your older GPS in for a
different model at a discounted price. The trade-in units are remanufactured
and come with a 90-day warranty.

There would be a $6 S&H charge ($35 for Canada) plus tax if it applies plus
the cost of the trade-in GPS.

We can also do a trade-in for any accessories as well. Please call to get
those prices. We accept Visa, MC, American Express, Discover, check, money
order, or cashier check. The trade in quote is valid for 30 days from the
date of this email.

These are the following GPS units currently available for the trade-in
program:

980771-01 eXplorist 100 $65.99
980771-02 eXplorist 210 $89.99
980771-03 eXplorist 300 $119.99
980771-04 eXplorist 400 $143.99
980771-112 eXplorist 500LE $143.99
980771-06 eXplorist 600 $239.99
980812-01 eXploristXL $269.99
980859-05 MRM2000 $209.99
980874-01 MRM2200T $269.99"

So, these seem like very good deals to me. Who has any of these units and what would you reccomend?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Buy a Garmin and you'll be much happier. They have a new internal antenna called SIRF, works inside the office. Can't wait to try it in the field. Sweet reviews online. My :twocents:

·
Banned
945 Posts
SWEET! I have an old unit that is basically worthless (only picks up 1 sat) :-D The 500 is what I was going to get. Where do I get this info from?

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Which Garmin model do you guys have that works so well my 120 is not that great???

Buy a Garmin and you'll be much happier. They have a new internal antenna called SIRF, works inside the office. Can't wait to try it in the field. Sweet reviews online. My :twocents:

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I have a Magellan that I bought in 1999, I loved it untill it layed down just a month ago or so. I think it is a MAP300 ???

Anyway in need of a had held for some things I do :wink: I went on a looking spree and landed back on a Magellan....and bought it.

I don't like it !!! and now my old Magellan works fine ? So, if had to do it over, I think I would try a Garmin.....to many guys/gals have good things to say about them.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SWEET! I have an old unit that is basically worthless (only picks up 1 sat) :-D The 500 is what I was going to get. Where do I get this info from?

Call this number: 1-800-707-

·
Banned
945 Posts
Call this number: 1-800-707-

Thanks!!

One thing about the GPS' with all the makes and models, seems every company makes some poop, along with some really good units, there are several same type model comparisons between the diff manufacturers, well worth the time to read before buying. You could be suprised at the accuracy or lack of accuracy from model to model, company to company. For my price range I was torn between a lowrance ifinder h20 or hunter, (very cool features), and a couple of the Magellans. There is also no reason not to go for a Garmin either, but not "all" of their models are all that great, just like everyone else.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you hold off for a little while. Magellan is coming out with TOUCH screen GPS's. Go to their web site and check them out. Some even have a 2mp camera built in. From what I've seen of the new Garmin units I find them moderately better than the current eXplorist from Magellan for reception.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you hold off for a little while. Magellan is coming out with TOUCH screen GPS's. Go to their web site and check them out. Some even have a 2mp camera built in. From what I've seen of the new Garmin units I find them moderately better than the current eXplorist from Magellan for reception.

I would, but my GPS is dead.....so I have to pick up another one and learn it before next month.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The model I was referring to is the GPSMap 60 CSx, it has the new SIRF antenna. Not sure what SIRF stands for but its awesome, used it last week to walk some drainages and accuracy never dropped below 30ft, even in dense canopy. I also have a etrex vista and it will not find satellites in my office where the GPSMap will in under 10 seconds, its a sweet unit.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Garmin is the way to go man The Rino series is just awesome! I've had a Rino 120 for several years and just love it!

Regarding jaysea's question. Garmin sometimes offers trade-ins on their "Current Promotions" page which is updated regularly.

http://www8.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/

I have also emailed Garmin regarding such offers before at [email protected] and they have always been very quick to respond. Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts