IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to all that called the Governor yesterday morning. During the meeting, he acknowledged the number of people that contacted his office regarding Senate Bill 928. The following is from a post on the westfly bulletin board regarding this.

As you read it, please rmember this is only a tiny victory. We still have a long way to go in securing our rights on all of Oregon's navigable streams.
------------------

At yesterdays meeting the Governor stood by his commitment. He is having the parks department draft amendments to the bill that will:

1. Remove any language regarding a 10ft use area.

2. Restrict the management plan to the John Day River.

3. Include language allowing drifting, anchoring, wading, and access to the high water mark without restriction.

4. Remove language that prevents any navigation study from proceeding on any other river.

In essence SB 928 will become a pilot program for a Montana style law. This is a HUGE win for the people of this state! Our efforts have paid off and we owe the Governor BIG TIME. Please, please, please phone, e-mail, fax, or visit the Governor and thank him for standing up for us.

FYI, this is not the end. We have plans in the works to get this entire situation solved on a state wide basis. We'll keep you updated as information becomes available. Thanks to all of you and a great job to everyone how's helped out.

--------------

I will be watching for any amendments to this bill and try to keep ifish members posted on what is happening.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
tailchaser,

I hate to pop your bubble but one of the leaders fighting to kill this bill is leading republican and head of one of the largest republican business groups in the state. In fact, I will bet you that at least 50% of the overall opposition came from very staunch conservatives.

This is not a democrat vs. republican or conservative vs. liberal issue. This is about a group of elite landowners that managed to get a Senator to introduce a really bad bill that would allow landowners to dictate just who can and can't be on our public rivers and what they could do while there. By the way, this is the third session in which they have tried to do this.

Senate Bill 928 violates The Equal Footings Doctrine found in the Constitution of the United States, The Public Trust Doctrine, and the Oregon State Admissions Act. It is also in direct violation of numerous State and Federal Supreme Court decisions dating back over 200 years.

In addition to being an incredible waste of taxpayer dollars, if we let them get away with it, SB 928 sets the stage for anglers like me and you to loose our right to fish rivers such as the Trask, Nehalem, Sandy, Rogue, John Day, Umpqua and others.

G

·
Thanks for the update SBV....we need more guys like you
If we ever meet it would be my pleasure to buy you a beer or whatever you drink :cheers:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
:cheers: :dance:
I'm usually in a little disagreement with a lot of Demi's but he has my nod on this one for sure.

tc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts