IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The governor has proposed a separate license for crab and shellfish. It would be required of everyone even those of us with fishing licenses. If you disagree with this idea write your representative, senator and the governor. Tell them to stop looking for new sources of revenue and start looking at ways to limit spending. :mad:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think most of us want a shellfish liscence fee. Currently there is too little monitoring of this resource. I read in the Oregonian that it has already been approved?

-Bottomfeeder

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Actually, the public went to ODFW and asked for this. My first conversations with Lindsay Ball were met with him sharing the fact that they had tried several times in the past and failed. The Dept. wasn't planning on trying again until the public influence convinced them to go for it.

Yes, the Gov. supports it but it was passed by the overwhelming support of the public.

As I understand it, yes, it is a done deal and signed into law last week or early this week.

[ 08-08-2003, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Straydog,

since you seem to be on the inside with Mr. Ball, would you ask him if

1- If we get the shellfish tag, where does he see the funding going? Will it help pay for staff to manage shellfish? Or will it patch another hole in the dam.

2-Is anyone seriously considering a 2nd rod permit? If so, where would those funds go?

3- If the ODFW were to get another source of income, what is the list of priorities to spend it on?

I do not mind spending the money, but I would just as soon get what we have paid for before we spend more on new projects. But since this is government we are speaking of, I am not sure if my logic applies.

Just wondering from the outside.

Mark and the CIA( cash in advance) dog.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Flatfish,

No insider trader going on...

I simply make the effort to go the meetings and become involved. I went to a meeting and there was a discussion with Mr. Ball. Anyone can do it and I think you would be better off to go and ask your questions for yourself.

The money for shell fish has been ear marked for biologists, population monitering and enforcement.

From the outside willing to step inside and try to make a difference. :smile:

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
I did not think there was insider trading. I assumed( what is that saying? Oh yeah "makes an...", my bad for assuming) you were on a personal level with Mr. Ball.

Glad to see the shellfish lic pays for itself, and not something else.

I am more active than most. But not up to date on some issues. This is one of them. Thanks for informing me.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't aware there was a large spread clamoring for this fee. This really hurts the people who do the sport crabbing and those who depend on it for their livelihood. Sport crabbers are for the most part one of two groups. First, fishermen who all ready have a license or second, once a year weekenders who rent traps from a marina and maybe a boat as well. The $5 fee isn't going to break anyone, but wanna bet it is $25 in few years? Then what happens to the once a year traffic? How many of us who all ready fish and have licenses are going to pay the extra?

The second rod is a much better idea and would bring in more revenue. It also would not affect the once a year sport crabber. Better you all should have pushed for that.

Does anyone think the state police are going to enforce this new license requirement. When is the last time you were checked while fishing or hunting? Hell, we could not get a game cop out a couple years ago when some guys were breaking the laws elk hunting. So now they are going to be swarming the bays to enforce this?
:hoboy:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
The commission is meeting today in Astoria.

Anyone wishing to express opinions or ask questions will be welcome and have an opportunity to do so.

There is still time to make it, if you live up North there.

Flatfish,

No problem, I have worn the "Ass........umed" hat myself a time or two. :blush: I will say that my limited experience with Mr. Ball is that he is very approachable and more than willing to take time to discuss these matters as are the commissioners.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the people who rent to the weekend crabber are in support of this too.

Think about all the out of state res. who flood down here for a free lunch when it's open for razors. There's a extra fee in Washington for clamming.....

I just got back from Cananda and up there they have rivers that are "classified" if you want to fish a classified river you have to by a classified license for only that river and it's $22 a day. Not to mention the over $100 we spent on a week license.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Marko, I'll give to you, 2nd hand info regarding shell fish fees, It may be wrong, it may be right, I don't know for sure but I read it here on ifish, so it MUST be true! :shocked: The average shellfish license for costal states is around $30, so, even if oregon's went up to $25, it would still be below the average. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic over the last year. When you have people digging up 1400+ clams at a time, it's time to do something! :mad:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I talked with some of the Game Troopers and OSP is going to be enforcing the license requirements from the start. Its about time... there have been so many abuses of the recreational clam and crab resource...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WA saltwater res $10.95, non-res $25.19, two day $8.45. CA res $18.10 Pacific Ocean only, non-res $82.45, one day $6.10. I guess you could get a $30 average out of that somehow. In WA a Saltwater and shell fish combo is $30.66 Maybe that's where the $30 came from. CA includes the shell fish in the genral license as near as I can tell. :shrug:
I'm still against it. Now I am in favor of doubling the cost of elk and deer tags. Boy that ought to get some danders up!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I guess its ok to have the shell fish fee, I find it to be a pain for those last minute trips and someone who wants to go along and they can't find a place to buy a liscence, or the kids, maybe they want to go out, or sit in the camper. Any way I'm just ramlbing here, if the money is used the right way its a good idea. I also like the second rod fee also.

G

·
Just go to del Ray beach near Seaside on a good clamming tide and look at all the out of state plates.I think the shellfish license is a good thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Marko,
Well, if you try the Clatsop Beaches don't be surprised to see State Troopers writing tickets for no license. They wrote a ton of clamming tickets in 01.

The money generated from the license is not going into the general fund... its going to support the biologists and enforcement. I'm happy to see the license for many reasons!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What am I missing here. This is about sport crabbing. You must have a license now if you go after shellfish! :shrug:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can understand the frustration with user fee's, but if we want to have these resources for the future, its gonna require some type of management/enforcement. A "free for all" attitude is very short sighted and poor stewardship. Unfortunately, user fee's are the down side of additional preasure on the natural resources and people wanting to recreate outdoors...
I don't like it either, but that's just the way it is....

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
What I would like to know is what Oregon will charge an out of state resident for a shellfish license. WA for example charges 25 bucks if you are an Oregon resident for a yearly fee. Will Oregon therefore charge a Wa resident 25 bucks for a yearly fee? I'm sure its not that simple of course. Seems to me it would free up our beaches, improve weekend congestion and improve clamming in general. Will local gas stations and small business be hurt by this? Personally I think a WA resident should pay in Oregon at least what they already would pay for a license in their own state. What I gathered from the previous posts is that the popular beaches have parking lots full of out of state vehicles. Simply charging a flat 5 bucks for an Oregon shellfish license isnt going to change anything. If Oregon's fees are significantly less than what WA state requires then out of staters will continue to flock here. Does anyone know what the price break- down is going to be?

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
T3...

The reason for the license is NOT to clear some room on the beaches, it's to provide some $$ for research and enforcement of shellfish. That's a good thing!! If it was so expensive as to actually visibly reduce the numbers of people, well, then it probably would be an effect on the local economy. Personally, I don't think anyone will notice a difference....which is how it should work.

TR

1 - 20 of 43 Posts