IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
I trapped couple for depredation issues at my former job. Couldn't keep them under our take permit. Once I retire I'll trap one to make a back quiver to go along with the rattlesnake backed bow I made for my son for Christmas when I was broke as F and couldn't afford store bought presents. Smart critters. Nice work 馃憤

Registered
I trapped couple for depredation issues at my former job. Couldn't keep them under our take permit. Once I retire I'll trap one to make a back quiver to go along with the rattlesnake backed bow I made for my son for Christmas when I was broke as F and couldn't afford store bought presents. Smart critters. Nice work 馃憤
Predation. Yeah, predation! Damn critters eating other critters to stay alive! We're men, aren't we? We have guns don't we? Kill, for gosh sake! Damned playful entertaining otters anyway!

Registered
Weasels with good PR. At my place if they stay down by the river they can eat all the fish, crawdads and freshwater mussels they want. Same goes for the raccoons and coyotes. When they get too close to the sheep and chickens we have to adjust the relationship. I did have one otter climb up on bow of layout boat when I was duck hunting a small pond. They go from cute and playful to nasty and territorial pretty quick. I was in his front yard not wild about shooting that close to my feet, so he got a free pass.

Registered
Predation. Yeah, predation! Damn critters eating other critters to stay alive! We're men, aren't we? We have guns don't we? Kill, for gosh sake! Damned playful entertaining otters anyway!

You鈥檙e right. Kill 鈥榚m because of the depredation. But use traps, not guns.

Reactions: Beedub

Registered
Most mammals are playfull. Elk, cows, Coyotes etc. Even Ducks and Geese and other birds especially Turkeys. Have you ever ate any of those?

Looking at your posts It looks like you are not a hunter so if you are going to visit a hunting site you need to try to see things from another perspective. Otters are very protected compared to the other annimals I mentioned. One got killed during legal season, they are not an easy annimal to harvest as they are usually on the move following the fish or other food during the winter. As a hunter, If you were complaining about shooting cow elk, I would probably share your concern if you made a similar post, same with shooting geese during nesting season. But with Otters, some need to be removed imo.

I am against killing Beavers because they provide valuable habitat for salmon, waterfowl and other annimals. Otters, not so much.... I saw a video of a pet Beaver the other day and it was using blankets and other household items to make a dam in the hallway of the persons house, so I guess Beavers check the box of cute also..

Registered
HawgBoss,

You're a little hasty (and incorrect) with your judgement that I "must not be a hunter".
I eat meat, ...but don't kill living creatures that I am not going to eat. Does the otter hunter eat otters? ...or just want a fuzzy quiver? Given the relative infrequency of otter sightings compared to more plentiful species, my inclination is to let them go about their business. FWIW, I grant the same consideration to rattlesnakes, and other not-cute-or-playful wildlife.

Genuine respect for wildlife acknowledges their right to exist apart from any usefulness to me (or you).
If I decide to take a life, for some specific need( food/livestock/pet/self protection), I hope that I will do so giving full consideration to species numbers, and "clean" killing. As I have matured I have shifted more to photography, shooting things in a manner that lets us both survive our encounter, while still testing my stalking skills, woods lore, etc.

I have lived through the "dwindling" of any number or species, in my 82 years, and have no patience when reading accounts ( for example) of individuals bragging of killing ( literally ) hundreds of squirrels "other-ized" as tree rats. One such report described the "hunter" shooting (his 500 squirrels) seated from his kitchen window ...a real Daniel Boone. I'm sure he ate half the harvest, no? and skinned and cleaned the rest to give to the orphanage. If you doubt what I say, spend some time in some airgun blogs!

The saying goes that when all you have is a hammer, ...everything looks like a nail.
For some who have firearms, ...everything looks like a target.

I'm well aware that some will feel themselves "attacked" by what I have written. I suggest that no one wear any shoes that do not fit. I know there are still responsible, thoughtful sportsman among the
shooting fraternity. But the numbers of slob hunters are growing.

Registered
I was setting duck decoys in the dark, standing in thigh deep water, and had something slither along my leg in the water. Felt like the monster from the trash compactor in star wars. Eventually he popped up near me and I could see what was happening. Scared the bejebus out of me. Neat critters, but I'd kill one if it was a problem. I have yet to see an otter that was a problem.

Registered
You dig and build a pond, you stick expensive fish and plants in it, you work and maintain it and then vermin start to prey on them鈥 I understand the need to do what you can to keep them out and protect your stock, sometimes lethally.

There鈥檚 lots of river otters.

Registered
I have a beautiful otter pelt I have had for 30 + years. Its next to a silver fox pelt and a coyote pelts that I took with my bow in Idaho. They are all lush and beautiful. And last longer than a dinner. River otters are abundant in our state.

Coyotes, mice, gophers, pigeons in my barn... among things that I "manage" and dont eat.

I gave my daughters wolf pelts for Christmas last year. Legally purchased and documented from a friend.

My close friends that used to trap dont anymore. Its a shame since a dog retrieved a Musk Rat while we were duck hunting. I wish we could have salvaged the pelt.

Registered

Registered
River otters are horrible creatures. Not lying!

Read that VanSun article. Spread the word!

fb
What the Heck!!
Thanks for sharing, couldn鈥檛 stop laughing.
Slow news day?

Premium Member
So how did you get this critter out of your fish pond? I don't see any holes in the pelt. I'm also curious if you need a trappers licence to hunt these things...... That's a big one!

I harvested a red fox while bow hunting years ago, only to find out i needed a furriers licence to have the taxidermy done. I just wanted the pelt tanned, but had to do it myself.....

Trapping and killing animals for their pelt isn't popular any more.... It used to be a way of life, and furs were coveted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts