IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up next Monday to fish for kings for a couple weeks on the inside waters between Bella Bella and Bella Coola! Any good suggestions for Hardware ? Flashers, spinners?

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Bait with a helmet and a rotating 11” flasher / dodger.
The new Luhr Jensen bait helmets in UV work great but are OOS in most tackle stores. My other favorites are the O’Ki JDF bait helmets out of Canada.

Hardware - might try some spoons like a coyote as they are tried and true.

Assuming your flying in out of Bella Bella on a Grumman Goose? If so enjoy the ride as the belly landings are cool. Also enjoy the Bella Bella airport ( double wide trailer ) , she’s a beaut!

Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are going to ferry the boat to Shearwater, then 1hr. Boat ride to Ocean Falls. Thanks for the suggestions, my wife will be glad I'm going to get more gear !!

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Google West Coast Sporting Journal. 30 minute tv show that’s based around the fisheries of Vancouver Island and western Canada. The episodes should be on YouTube.
They always have a tackle recap during the show that might provide some insight for you for catching big kings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Ferry is from Port Hardy to Shearwater, Rock salted anchovies in Rhys Davis teaser heads in Glow, Bloody Nose, Glow Army Truck would be n option. Bait will bleed ya but is very effective. I have fished extensively from Hardy to North of Caamano. Milbanke is an excellent bet. Coyote or Skinny G or Tomic spoons work very well up there as well, as do Tomic plugs and bait busters which were developed around Milbanke..when the bait runs dry….
Of course, the BC standby the White hootchie is hard to beat….also….
Have fun, it’s a really special place ;-
Food Seafood Wood Fish Cuisine

Water Cloud Sky Boat Vertebrate

Brown World Map Rectangle Font

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Seems as if it would almost be the same cost to go guided instead of ferrying the boat and truck. Looking at my rig, is almost a $1000 Each way for the port Hardy - Shearwater link, plus the Tsawwassen - Nanaimo link Or the Black Ball to Victoria. My truck and trailer is about 44’ long. And BC Ferry is a rip over 20’. I am renting space on the ferry, why is the first 20’ $75 and after that $9.90 a foot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got to thank everybody for throwing their 2 cents !! Nothing brings out the true passion, as asking for help caughting the most amazing fish that swims the ocean, In a heart stopping area. It's not my boat I'm helping a good friend get it up there for what will someday be his final resting spot ! Dollars and cents out the window something are just too important !! Thanks again in for everybody throwing in on this !! God willing,, I Will let you know how the adventure turns out !!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd try threaded herring/chovies with and without helmet 11" flasher or dodger, cut plugs, spoons and plugs. Find the bait balls and use down riggers. Fish fast- up to 3 knots. Make sure your gear is working. That's how we fished in SE AK, so I imagine it is close to the same.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Motor mooching or mooching horse herring early and then trolling sandlance color 4” hoochies near the bottom later in the morning through the rest of the day. Here are the colors that work best. My favorite is the bronze/gold to brown colors. These jigs kill too on deep structure.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Heading up next Monday to fish for kings for a couple weeks on the inside waters between Bella Bella and Bella Coola! Any good suggestions for Hardware ? Flashers, spinners?
We fished North King Lodge up above Bella Bella. I used a small green label herring, using a piece of tooth pick in it's nose with top hook mounted near the tail and bottom hook dangling. Then bend the herring and get a smooth bend in it and tie two half hitches around the tooth pick while holding that bend in the herring. snug up and you have a bait that will rotate well and we found that it really attracted the fish better than anything else we had. You may have to play with the bend to get the best rotation. But, it really works and stays on well.

Reactions: tomictime

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
We fished North King Lodge up above Bella Bella. I used a small green label herring, using a piece of tooth pick in it's nose with top hook mounted near the tail and bottom hook dangling. Then bend the herring and get a smooth bend in it and tie two half hitches around the tooth pick while holding that bend in the herring. snug up and you have a bait that will rotate well and we found that it really attracted the fish better than anything else we had. You may have to play with the bend to get the best rotation. But, it really works and stays on well.
Ya man ! North King is on the chart picture i posted….. great place ;-)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Sounds like a different method of choked herring. You can look it up on YouTube or a great case for a wire baiter. What a lot of the California charters use. Fairly easy and cheap to make. You can buy them, but some stainless wire and wore twisters make them easy. Use a toothpick instead of a brass pin. Commercial one;

1 - 17 of 17 Posts