IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I witnessed a bunch of rude gestures and just plain dipstick moves in my brief last minute trip to the Siletz today, almost thought I was at a Salmon River snaggers reunion floatila.

A few examples:

This guy and his two sons are drifting along fighting a good sized nook in a small aluminum dingy. It was quite obvious they had a fish on, the net was ready, the rod was doubled over, and the kids were excited, all aboard where standing, then a sled full of buzzbombers comes along and anchors a few feet away right in thier path!
:hoboy:

Are the signs that say "no wake - 5 mph" simply vanities or clever gull roosts?

I bet I was in the smallest boat on the water today and got hammered by the largest wakes, both out in the channel only feet away from my boat a couple folks just fly by and dislodge my anchor, one guy did it TWICE!! :shrug: AND rite in front of moorages with boats tied off everywhere, these folks in sleds with power they never use and likely dont have a clue how to, fly by a no-wake zone slamming all the boats up against the docks.
and send me on a roller coaster ride. Now I can certainly handle wakes and know they are unavoidable, but when I owned a sled, I offered the courtesy of at least offering a buffer zone if not slowing down. Is this uncommon now that fishing is a sport of kings rather than a pastime?

Is it amazing how there are people with the skills and intelligence to afford 30, 40 thousand dollar boats yet dont have the foggiest idea, (or common courtesy) that when you travel fast in the water, it makes the water ripple?
...uh, sometimes BIG ripples that are a danger and a nuesance and can be damaging to other peoples property?
Or are there really anglers out there who just dont care about anyone but themselves and thier city-slicker friends?

I continued fishing dispite the meatheads on the water, but I began to think about why, or better yet how I came to love fishing...The big picture.
When I look back I remember the most important thing was the serene peaceful environment, the bond with mother nature, the sound of loons, gulls, frogs, and the occasional splash of a fish.
The only thing to interupt this little slice of heaven was the zip of the reel and the adreniline surge that completely overwhelms the thought of dozing off on the banks or the boat in the warm sun.

I look back even more and remember that there was never any "boat envy" or dreams of owning the "bigger better sled" or 300 dollar rod and reel. I was perfectly content to be in the midst of mother natures realm.
Catching a fish was an added bonus, not a requirement, not a disappointment if it didnt happen, more of a little extra cheese on the pizza, or whipped cream on the home-made cobbler.

I also noticed a mile-long oil slick on the water that literally made me sick. Baitfish were surfacing in it and without a doubt will be dead soon if not already. Gulls and herons waded and walked through the man-made toxin. When I am finally in a spot where I can only see fog and the sun straining to break through...I hear herons argue with gulls, and smell the crisp morning air, I see a beer can float by the boat and hear the roar of an old truck without a muffler scream past. :hoboy:

I managed a 30 lb bright nook within minutes of launching and the rest of the brief trip had me seriously questioning what it is I enjoy about fishing so much that allows me to be in the midst of such rude selfish people and an abused environment.

Think I will get back to basics. Flyrod... secluded waters, and a vision that theres a fish out there that evaded the seals and other natural predators, made it through the dams, the hoglines, the snaggers, the oilslicks and polution and somehow found my hand-tied fly.

Either that or I may just find a new way to bond with mother nature because what I experienced today was far from the pastime I grew up loving so much.

[ 09-22-2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

G

·
Think I will get back to basics... Flyrod
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">You hit the nail on the head with that one R&W

[ 09-21-2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I hear ya Wade it was a pair of drag boats(big block noise makers)that got me :mad: today,back and forth, :hoboy: back and forth,not acomplishing anything but disturbing the peace. :depressed:

·
Registered
448 Posts
That was very eloquently put Row. I couldn't imagine a boat flying by you on that river. It's pretty narrow when compared to the CR.

I had to kind of chuckle (not a good chuckle)at your story because it's about all you can do about these situations. It absolutely amazes me at the behavior that I have observed in my short time spent fishing. I thought about the times I have been on the Columbia this year and one instance that came to mind was a guy that went past the boat I was on and another anchored next to us at that speed that is just below plane. You know, the speed that kicks of 2-3 foot tall rollers. It made us slip anchor and we were up by Bonneville, not a place that is fun to anchor in. To top that off, someone anchored about 250' above us and I swear that he had to backbounce past our anchor so we couldn't reset with the amount of rope we wanted to.

I will always enjoy fishing with buddies on the CR and it (in my mind)can be the place to go. And, I will probably end up with some sort of sled due to the ease of fishing out of them and the space that they can provide for the wife and kids.

But, my dream is to own a Drift boat. I've already picked out the Clackacraft I want. Someday, when my boys are older we will fish together on a boat propelled by the power god gave us. No exhaust fumes or noise (I know that fourstrokes are quiet :grin: )... just the sound of riffles and casting with the occasional, FISH ON!!!. That is my dream and someday it'll come to fruition.

I do want to note that this is truly a minority that can turn a good day bad, at least in my short experience. Everyone I've had the pleasure of fishing with thus far is in the majority. It seems to be just a few yocals that ruin it for the aforementioned majority.

You'd think with the more stringent boat card requirements that people would learn the rules of the waterway. I am an avid pwc rider (I know let's here the boos) and was a member of peerwatch for a summer. The one thing that amazed me was that, although a great majority of pwc riders haven't a clue for the rules of the water, a huge portion of the high dollar boating community either didn't know or didn't pay attention to them either. I was almost run down floating down the river (my pwc wasn't even running) on my pwc and that is what got me into it. So, if you ever see a guy on a blue and white Sea Doo, wave. I seldom go out to the CR anymore though and steer way clear of fisherpeople trying to show that we are not all bad guys. I've even contemplated putting a rod holder on it and anchoring in a hog line. It would be fun as all heck to let a chinook take me for a ride. :grin:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
God ain't making anymore nature around here. People are flocking here to take advantage of our natural beauty and recreational opportunities. Result --- congestion and competition on our waterways, in our woods, etc.

I am always a bit stunned when I hear people talk about the advantages of growth for our communities. More people, more pollution, more need for utilities, law enforcement, fire protection, higher taxes, congestion in our natural world, and on it goes.

Ain't growth wonderful? :whazzup:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Didn't we just bash the guys that have made good economic decisions in his life to be able to buy a boat.

Unless a boat comes to an idle when going by you it will throw a bigger wake slowing down. You will get the smallest wake when they are on plane. I usually idle by smaller boats, but keep it up on step when going by bigger boats. I've never seen your river so I don't know how big it is or what you've endured, but remember not all boat owners are idiots!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I fish out of Scappose bay a lot and have always slowed down when passing boats or those little paddle boats people rent and generally slow down in the Multnoma channel when passing anchored boats. Yesterday when coming in from the CR there was a whole bunch of little paddle boats in the small channel leading to the boat ramp I slowed down to a crawl and other boats just flew by with little regard for anyone. I don't expect a medal or anything but I don't think the people I was being respectful of even realized it. Most people just don't care about the other guy but will rant and rave when some one does the same thing to them. Kinda the Golden Rule in reverse theory Do Unto Others Before They Do Unto You.
Randy

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Row, glad to see you got out anyway. I did the work on the boat all day thing. I've been looking into getting a small hp long shaft to inable me to do some tidewater fishing. I might rethink that now or maybe go ahead and just use it on weekday hoping to get the rare where is everyone day. I do however seem to like places to drift that sleds either are banned or have no interest in going. Fishing from the bank high in the gorge is also an great option. No sleds there.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
This time of year I build a reservoir against situations like that by floating for Searun cutthroats. I need five flies, some tippet, and my little drift boat, and I can live without the boat. Best of all is, meatheads don't chase the cutthroat, so I can have the whole river to myself most days.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Silver Hilton is on the right track. For seclusion, fish for something different than the masses.

One of the nicer points of a driftboat is you can find some peace and quiet. If you know where to look.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I know what you mean...... :mad:
you think people would have learned some manners. I see this kind of thing happening all the time on the columbia. I was sitting by government island saturday. Decieded to take a break since the fishing was slow. Went over to the docks there and saw 2 sleds about 10-15 ft from the docks flying around creating huge wakes. They were desturbing all the boat docked there. And to make it worse one the boats (a green Duckworth-With hard top) had a young kid trying to stand on top as they were going about 20-30 mph. And just to top it off the kid didn't have a life vest on. Now I don't wish any ill will on anyone one but it sounds as if natural selection was at work. After the two were done Messing around I docked and talked with some of the others there. One of them had said that they were going to call it in. Don't know what happened but people need to remember that it is just as easy to die on the water as anywere else. Be safe and tight lines.

Cartman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts