IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get my halibut fishing gear made and organized as well as do my research for the May opener. I found an app called “got halibut” that has lat/long coordinates from the halibut commission’s sampling and its results per site off the Oregon and Washington coast. Has anyone else given this a look see?

·
King Lingcod
49,081 Posts
Herring Impared gave me some of those charts years ago. They helped.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked like this was a new app this is up to date with the latest halibut sampling

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
Thanks for the tip John. I will check it out.

BTW we will be casting 3 and 4# lead soon. Getting some shad this year for Butts and crab bait.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Thanks for the tip John. I will check it out.

BTW we will be casting 3 and 4# lead soon. Getting some shad this year for Butts and crab bait.
That’s how we found some of our very first halibut fishing grounds 25+ years ago sampling data gives you a good idea where fish hang out

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am starting to get my halibut fishing gear made and organized as well as do my research for the May opener. I found an app called “got halibut” that has lat/long coordinates from the halibut commission’s sampling and its results per site off the Oregon and Washington coast. Has anyone else given this a look see?
Couldn't find it in the PlayStore for Android....anyone else find an android version?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
It's an Apple product only...had to borrow the wife's phone to download it.
Lots of information there

·
Registered
930 Posts
Is it worth the $2.99. Just wondering if the same data is already available online. I’ve seen similar data before.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If the data is from IHC it should be available for free somewhere. The price of the app is probably for the convenience of having all the data compiled in a better format. Not a bad price to pay in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
It's a pretty cool app. You can geek out on halibut locations anytime you want in the palm of your hand. Love it!

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
When I used to keep a log, I compared our catches with their catches and give or take a week, we did better than they did. It is still cool to compare, but in previous discussion there were some who knew the boat contracted, and the not so good gear they used.

I like looking back at historical data the most. Not sure what this app shows but they did have a test set, inside the 40f off the lighthouse.

Puffin, remember the epic day? That day was insane and not exaggerating, I am sure we caught over 40 each, as we looked for bigger. In the same week they sampled and caught 16.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I used those survey numbers when I first started marking charts. Now you can get them on an app?

Wish it had been done long ago.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Is it worth the $2.99. Just wondering if the same data is already available online. I’ve seen similar data before.
Yes, it is online.. I don’t have a link now, but I’ve got several years worth of data marked on my plotter.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
An interesting observation; most/all
of the catches were recorded in late July and August. The million dollar question is will those fish be there when we fish it May/June?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
My bad I posted in the wrong thread :ROFLMAO:

If you guys have questions about GotHalibut, I'd be happy to help you out, I wrote this app for my capstone for an iOS development bootcamp. Kind of thought I was going to retire and write iOS app, but I'm back working another gig and haven't done anything with it since I release it in October to get my class certification. It was a "hoot" to write it and hope to get back to creating additional features, but for now it's got 20 years of IPHC FISS Survey data. You can easily look at each year from a port and it also has a pseudo heat map which is signified by transparency of the fish icons and a green, yellow or red dot next the to fish at each survey site.

Having worked a lot with the data, I can tell you there are some true gems in the data which you can't easily identify with the excel data IPHC provides, but using my pseudo heat map in GotHalibut you can quickly identify the hot spots along the West coast from Northern California all the way up to the Aleutian islands chains in Alaska.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
As I posted in another thread for "Halibut Rods" by accident, the Android solution is a ways out. When life settles back down a bit, I'll look to see what it will take for me to port this to Android. right now, I'm in a Full Stack Class at night and working days so I'm booked pretty much up till I fall asleep. 😱

1 - 18 of 18 Posts