IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Then here's all you need to know to cure them.

http://www.ifish.net/amercure1.html

I did this for the first time and they came out great. Can't wait to see if they catch fish!

I got Scott's cure at GI Joe's - it's not out with the other cures, but in the Amerman freezer. That makes it convenient for us Portlanders.

My question is - to freeze or not to freeze? I may not be using these for another month - do I freeze them or not? What's people's thought about storing in fridge if never open. No, I do not have a vacuum sealer.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Nav,

They'll keep that long in the fridge. If you're not going to use them up by then, they'll freeze and thaw just fine. If you freeze them, they'll keep longer if you keep air off the eggs....

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I will let you in on a little Amerman secret. They believe that a cured egg fishes better after it has been frozen once. The eggs won't be quite as firm but they seem to put off more of a scent trail and the fish go even crazier over them.

Don't tell Scott or his dad that I told you this. :cool:

[ 09-17-2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Grant Scheele ]

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would add that if you buy the cure, you should wrap it tightly in a bag or plastic wrap and then freeze...I've heard it will attract moisture and clump badly.

I just cured up a bunch of eggs using Amerman's last night...the cure had been in my freezer for three weeks. It worked great!

HC

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have to chime in and say that I bought a jar of Amermans cure at last year's sportsman show. I am absolutly astounded at how good my eggs have turned out. I'm sold and will never go back to anything else. In case your wondering, I have no vested interest in Amerman's.

I wish I would have taken the advice I was given and put the cure into the freezer. I now have a half bottle of clumped up cure. I was wondering if it is still good if I grinded it up?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
After curing your eggs, I agree with half canuck. If you can't vaccuum pack, then wrap your eggs in plastic wrap, then put them in a freezer bag and get as much air out as possible. Even freeze the eggs wrapped in plastic, and then put the frozen wrapped eggs in a freezer bag and squeeze out all the air.

SKP

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
pu-rvr-fishr, email Amerman and he will help you use the clumped up cure. I heard he has a way of making it work when you think it's hopeless. :bowdown: I store mine in the freezer and it's great. just pull it out sprinkle it on the eggs and back in the freezer it goes. Oh yeah, the eggs turn out beautiful. :dance: Now, if I can just get out and use them. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Nav.

Thanks for the good report on the egg cure. now that you have the eggs cured I would recommend freezing them. The eggs would be fine in the fridge for a month or more but often one month turns to two and two turns to four. I as Grant said actually freeze all my eggs before fishing them. I really think it helps with the way the eggs milk and how long they will milk.

Pu-Rv.... Sorry to hear about your cure. If the cure is still workable and can be broken up break it up and sprinkle over the eggs this will still work its just not as easy. If it is way to far gone then the only way to save it is to make a liquid brine by adding a little boiling water to turn the cure into a paste. Then pour this over the eggs to cure them.

Thanks all Scott

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone (and the other egg posts too)! In the freezer they will go - burned wax paper to remove the air.

And yes, the cure itself is in the freezer (I actually read the instructions :smile: ).

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Don't give up on clumpy unused cure!

If its really bad try this:

Cut away the plastic bottle so you have the clump of cure out by itself. Get a cheap grater, and then grate it into another small container.

You are now ready to cure some eggs!

HC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts